INT: Power Trunk release an OEM way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Power Trunk release an OEM way

I have been wanting to add a power trunk release for a while but I really wasn't happy with the options. There are many ways to do it but I didn't want to cut into the cable or put an exposed actuator on the inside of the trunklid. I wanted more of an oem solution and there are a few oem solutions out there but all have drawbacks. The best one to me is the trunk latch from a Acura CL. The Cl latch has an actuator built in and will bolt up to Accord trunk.

There are a few problems with CL latch. The biggest is that it will not fit with the actuator attached. It does not fit through the hole. You can disassemble it and slide into the hole but it is too narrow and you could never screw it back together. It is about .5" deeper the the cavity on the outside of the car. The other problem is that there is no attachment for the lock rod. On the plus side, it does have the attachment for the pull cable.

Looking at the back of the trunk, the license plate is already spaced out a little bit. With a little more spacing of the plate, I could bump out the trunklid so the actuator will have room to fit. I know most people will probably cringe at this but I decided to cut the rear of the trunklid and make an access cover. No one will ever see this since it is behind the plate. Even Accord owner won't be able to tell the plate is space out more than stock.

So, I cut a 4" hole where I could get to all three of the actuator mounting screws. Then I cut out what was needed for the actuator to come through. Once it was all mounted up, a steel cover plate was hammered out. Once the plate cleared, it was trimmed down and the edges were given a 90 degree bend to flatten them out and strentgh them. After that I punched some holes in the cover for mounting. On the trunklid, I added 6mm threaded inserts for the cover to bolt to. When everything is finished the cover will be sealed with silicone and covered with Dynamat.

Once the cover was bolted on I determine how far the plate needed to be spaced out. I used some nuts are .326" thick for spacers. I could have used thinner spacers but I wanted a little extra clearance. On the top the spacer go betweeen the plate and the mounts. On the bottom, the whole mount needs to be spaced out. Since the mounts clip in, I ground them smooth and punched a hole to bolt them back on with. I drilled out the clip holes on the trunklid and installed 6mm threaded inserts. Now the bottom mounts bolt on with a nut behind to space them out.

I dealt with the lock rod issue by drilling a hole in the actuator arm. The arm is not where the lock rod normally attaches so the rod needs to be shortened. I did this by adding some bends on the rod. The actuator arm is too narrow to make a hole big enough for the rod clip so I made it just big enough for the rod and used zipties to secure it.

The CL latch has four wires red/blue= actuator 12v, orange= alarm trigger, green/black=trunk light, black=ground. The green/black and black wire into the accords green/black and black wires. The orange wire is not used. The red/blue goes to an alarm or switch via a relay. I ran this wire inside the wire loom on the trunk hinge down to a relay. I powered the relay at the power ant and mounted it to the ant. The relay trigger was then wired to the alarm.

The end result is the license plate being space out about a third of an inch.
    Before

After
    Last edited by lucifer1; 08-16-2010, 03:34 AM.
    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

amazing, cb keeps getting more modern goodies!

Comment

awesome write out!

do u have far view pic of the back of the car?since the license plate was spaced out to fit the actuator.
      -My Member Ride thread-
      -JL store-

Comment

sweet man!
        ____

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_lee View Post
            awesome write out!

do u have far view pic of the back of the car?since the license plate was spaced out to fit the actuator.
            Here is one

Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

this is why i love this site!

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

maybe it might fit without cutting on a 5th gen? hmmmm

Comment

really nice mod! good job mate!

1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Mat Black] Sold
                  1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Rosewood]

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                    Here is one

thanks for the pic.

wow...if u didn't tell.no one know there is an actuator inside it.
                    !
                    good job!
                    -My Member Ride thread-
                    -JL store-

Comment

Great thinking!
                      OEM retrofits are the best.

Comment

acura legend with tail-light integrated popper
                        you dont have to cut metal, you use the legend motor and use the cb locker

Last edited by PR CB7; 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM.
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                          acura legend with tail-light integrated popper
                          you dont have to cut metal, you use the legend motor and use the cb locker

How would you do that? That looks pretty simple!

Members Ride Thread: LX ~ EX ~ For Sale Thread

Sold to: accord=inspire? ~ Accord214 ~ Raf99 ~ daheavyking ~ OHOYAMA ~ JunyAccord ~ CBsevenTUNER

Bought from: Joshy ~ TypeG ~ agol ~ 92smokeaccord ~ Extacee ~ mak ~ lindiz ~ illestatus ~ F20A CB7 ~ accord=inspire? ~ marcusv8thunder

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman_471 View Post
                            How would you do that? That looks pretty simple!
                            I second this question. What year is the legend in this pic?
                            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X