No announcement yet.

FU Photobucket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never understood this business model. I've been using Imgur but I'll bet they will go down too. If someone could make a service I could load my photos to as easily as Imgur I'd pay. The death of Imagestation was DEVASTATING, I'm still reeling from the loss of all those photos.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
      I never understood this business model. I've been using Imgur but I'll bet they will go down too. If someone could make a service I could load my photos to as easily as Imgur I'd pay. The death of Imagestation was DEVASTATING, I'm still reeling from the loss of all those photos.
      Good point and a deterrent for others too. Who wants to upload years of photos just to have them go down again. Personally I think sites (like this one) should host images. Make it a Gold membership required thing where folks pay $20 a year etc. and enforce rules where images must be below a size limit. Serious members will bite, but they'll only pay so much.

Comment

Forums go down too

Best bet is to probably buy your own domain and load photos to/from it, and back them up offline. Thankfully Photobucket gives you the option to download all your photos. They are definitely circling the drain.

I suppose another option is to go with a host backed by a legit company. Flickr is backed by Yahoo, Google Photos is backed by Google. Those probably aren't going anywhere and are very easy to sync with. But if ALL a company does is host photos.... tread lightly

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yea I need to download all my PB pictures.

I cant believe they went to a subscription service.

I actually started using Flickr to host images for my 2013 EX MRT, because I could not stand PB layout and unresponsiveness any longer.

I had deleted my Flickr years ago but when they started offering 1TB free, and I started my Photography business, I figured having a place to store 1 TB of photos in an emergency would be good to have.

I have about 300 pictures on there currently. On PB, I have 1600 pictures.

Comment

I just realized that my DIY for the S2k antenna and the write up for how to use photoshop are hosted on PB.

Deev, if I remember, and get a minute, ill transfer all those images to my flickr for you.

Comment

Well I just got an email from Flickr stating that they have sold-out and will be taken over by SmugMug as of May 25th 2018. SmugMug does not offer any free plans. It is $48/yr or $5.99/month, at least it's not $399 a year.

I'm guessing that all of the other photo sharing sites are probably going to end up doing the same. No more free image hosting.

Oh well, guess I'll just stop posting images to forums that don't have image hosting capabilities. Going to have to think about this one, never really thought that I would have to pay $50 a year to link images to forums. If I were using them on eBay or making money off them it wouldn't be an issue. I know that $50/year isn't much. But I use Instagram and Facebook to share my images with my friends and family. Only reason i need an image hosting site is for some forums that don't have hosting services.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I dare say it will be the death of all car forums especially if they don't host their own images. And those free image hosting sites who aren't selling your info/photos to the top bidder will charge money. The young generation will keep using FB etc and post "pics of their engine bay" every week.

Personally I think Deev needs to host images for DIY at the very least.

Comment

Its inevitable.

I understand the frustration at just wanting a simple photo hosting site to link image to forums, but there just isn't money in that anymore.

Hosting is not free, and can get quite expensive with hardware and bandwith etc.

Advertising just does not pay enough, and when you have MILLIONS of people uploading over 100k images a day, its just way too much to keep it free.

I was surprised that Flickr was able to offer a TB for free lol.

But it just can't be sustained. I am kind of confident that smugmug wont change that option for flickr, because they would be alienating a lot of people who signed up for that reason alone, but only time will tell.

I pay $100 a year now for image hosting strictly for my photography business. I have around 50GB but I set the albums to expire after about two months, so I should not have to upgrade any time soon.

I use my flickr for all my fun stuff and personal stuff, and also forums now.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    Imgur won't go down anytime soon. Imgur was setup for Reddit. Reddit is an absolutely huge website, currently 6th largest in the world, and growing daily. Reddit people mainly use imgur als their image hosting website.

Comment

Originally posted by yh61r View Post
                      Imgur won't go down anytime soon. Imgur was setup for Reddit. Reddit is an absolutely huge website, currently 6th largest in the world, and growing daily. Reddit people mainly use imgur als their image hosting website.
                      If history has taught us anything......

cardomain...
                      geocities...
                      ICQ# (12914363 :P )

I could go on forever.

Comment

Don't worry about it. Imgur won't go down. Reddit quite depends on it to function.

Comment

You guys get the new Photobucket email? They listened to reason, and accounts with third party hosting are now only going to be $2 a month... for a limited time, haha. Not sure what's going to happen next.
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-19-2018, 07:57 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Didn't get it.....all photobucket emails go into my spam folder that is deleted daily....
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

$2 isn’t awful. Hopefully enough people do it that photobucket realizes more profit can be made that way than with their previous outrageous plan!

Comment

I didn't get it either. My photos have been working with "~original" inserted prior to the final [/URL][/IMG].
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X