Car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car wont start

Car died on my at Costco gas pump, had to push it off the island. Tried to trouble shoot on the spot with no idea. I have power to my car when I turn the key to II key position: radio work, power antenna, and windows. I try to turn the key to start and nothing, not a noise. I broke out my testing light and multi meter, 14v on the battery. Tested my coil tower with a testing light and nothing when I turn the key on. Check my Main Relay, and my Computer, and fusses. Also double check my starter wiring, looks good. I tried everything I know on the spot. I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas on what else can it be.
    Thanks
    PS
    Im having my car towe home tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by laloquera; 06-02-2018, 02:09 AM.

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
    Car died on my at Costco gas pump, had to push it off the island. Tried to trouble shoot on the spot with no idea. I have power to my car when I turn the key to II key position: radio work, power antenna, and windows. I try to turn the key to start and nothing, not a noise. I broke out my testing light and multi meter, 14v on the battery. Tested my coil tower with a testing light and nothing when I turn the key on. Check my Main Relay, and my Computer, and fusses. Also double check my starter wiring, looks good. I tried everything I know on the spot. I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas on what else can it be.
    Thanks
    PS
    Im having my car towe home tomorrow morning.
    Sounds like a starter solenoid unless you mean actually it died pulling in station. When does that ever happen. But i bet u mean u couldn't restart after turning it off and starter wouldn't turn over. Or your ignition went bad and wouldn't turn over starter. I had same thing after car was stolen happen to my ignition system. Just wouldn't work right.
    Last edited by zedjr10; 06-02-2018, 02:23 AM.

Comment

No error codes, gonna go towe the car. There go's my weekend

Comment

Just got home and had towed. I have a no crank situation here. Any stickies, vids or best of ideas as to where and how to get started are welcome. I have a testing light and multi meter. Im betting its a short some where.
        I will get started but will be checking in all day long.
        Thanks

Comment

ok, making progress here. Took a hammer and tap on the starter and solenoid and it started. Gonna swap out the starter and see how it go's.

Comment

Did you check that the connections were tight first? I actually had one where the starter was loose on the transmission.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

just had my starter bench tested at Autozone, it pass with flying colors. I did notice the bottom 14mm bolt was loose as a goose. Should I slap it back on and tightened them bolts up? Im debating it.

Comment

Is your car a manual or automatic?

Comment

Automatic. Well I slap the starter back on, no issues yet. I guess the starter is grounded by those two bolts. Anyone have a better clarification?
                  Thaks

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                    Automatic. Well I slap the starter back on, no issues yet. I guess the starter is grounded by those two bolts. Anyone have a better clarification?
                    Thaks
                    Yep, you found your problem. Loose connection to the starter. Starter is grounded via itself to the block, the one wire is the start power wire.

Edit: And be careful with the starter power wire. If you touch it and a ground on the car (almost any part of the car) you will get a shock. You would be grounding the positive. If working on the starter disconnect the battery first.

Comment

Crap, Im back! My starter went out again today had to tap a few times to get it started. Though I tested good at Autozone last Sat, it had a slight rattle sound inside. Anyways I have to get another one.
                      Also. I tested my alternator, It tested at 14 volz, that's slightly low as the recommended minimum 14.2 Voltz. Are these two issues related or separate?
                      Thanks

Comment

Completely separate. 14v is technically within spec so that’s fine. Tapping on the starter and having it work usually means it’s failing and needs an r&r.

Check to see if it’s loose again, and make sure your transmission/bolt threads aren’t stripped.

Comment

Im swapping both out just to play it safe.
                          Thanks

Comment

Anyone know the acceptable range for voltage output on our Denson Alternators? Thanks.

Comment

Acceptable charging voltage is 13.5-15v depending on the vehicle. For the CB it says it should be around 14.3v.

Alternator is starter aren’t related though. An alternator charging at 14v is perfectly fine. Check the resistance in your power wire from the alternator to the battery.
                              Last edited by F22Chris; 06-06-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X