Ghostwhite : 1992 Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostwhite : 1992 Accord

Here is the two door I picked up today, I was initially looking for a donor/replacement car for my 92 four door. I was fairly surprise when I realized it was a two door, the craigslist ad did not mention it or have any revealing enough pictures. It has 65,000 miles on the ODO and the interior is clean enough for me to suspect it may be accurate.

It was listed as leaking rear brake and no reverse. When I picked it up I also notice the crank pulley is coming apart and the alt belt jumped and it is shredding the PS belt.

Loaded up and ready to roll.

Of course its dark so more pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

My 4 door has been around since 2017, it had been sitting a bit when I bought it.

It has served me very well in the last few years but some ice got the better of my yesterday and I slapped the rear against a street sign pole. The two door was going to be a donor for some parts but I don't know if will tear it apart for that or not just yet or just fix it and drive it.

My wife and I are heart broken about the blue car being down, it has served me well and is a treat to drive.
    Last edited by Ghostwhite; 01-09-2020, 09:35 PM.

That's got to be a tough decision: insanely low mileage coupe, or restoration of the more practical sedan. Is there any damage to the sedan's unibody, where the suspension mounts up?

The coupe does look like it's in a lot nicer shape. Rear passenger room isn't as bad as most coupes, though, is it?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Why not keep both? Use the 4dr as your winter beater and the coupe for fun?
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        Why not keep both? Use the 4dr as your winter beater and the coupe for fun?
        I'm with Grumpy, fix 'em both. Sent a PM about parts. Long trip to MN to deliver parts (or you come to OH?), but I've delivered 'em as far as Texas. Not sure what it would take to ship a transmission.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Well I made a big long post detailing today's adventure to go look at another accord and I got an error when submitting the reply "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched."

I'll make it brief instead. It was a winter weather nightmare out but I didn't figure that out till I got into the metro. I dealt with starter problems on my truck in a snowy Walmart parking lot(the meeting place) 70 miles across the metro from home. New starter didn't wanna work either but a little wiring adjustment got my ford going again, it was miserable laying in the snow under the truck but after making a deal on the new accord at least I could get around and warm up if needed. Got it figured though and only almost wiped out twice on the way home.

New car is a 90 LX four door auto, has some power steering issues, a leaky gas something out back and lotsa rust. It drives ok though so the trans will go in the coupe and anything I need for the blue car is there.

I still feel like pursuing a manual swap on one of the 92s but for now I should have two drivers if I ever get time to work on them.

The coupe is covered.

Comment

So two cars in two days? Now up to 3? Hard core!

You just need to get two more and have them all in working order to match my best streak.

How do you keep a Ford of that age from rusting away up there? I had a starter go bad on my 1962 Chevy pickup way back when (it wasn't winter though). I was able to drop the starter and reverse the forks so it would engage again.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

wow. Judging by the snow and ice on the towed accord that trip probably should have waited for a better day!

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                So two cars in two days? Now up to 3? Hard core!

You just need to get two more and have them all in working order to match my best streak.

How do you keep a Ford of that age from rusting away up there? I had a starter go bad on my 1962 Chevy pickup way back when (it wasn't winter though). I was able to drop the starter and reverse the forks so it would engage again.
                I know, but I really wanna get my blue car going and maybe fart around with the coupe as another DD. The coupe has dents and dings on a few more panels than the blue but the interior is far nicer.

The Green truck I bought in Cali when I lived in Vegas, it hasn't seen too many salty winters but I do try to wash it a lot. The bed fenders are fiberglass so at least they won't go.

My first 'project' truck was a 62 chevy, it is sitting at my dads until next year where I am a lot more setup here, we bought the place in 2019.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                wow. Judging by the snow and ice on the towed accord that trip probably should have waited for a better day!
                Probably! But I had the time off so I figured why not, it actually hadn't even started snowing yet at home.

Comment

Mine was red (repainted metallic) with a deluxe cab: chrome bumpers, grille, headlight trim, body side trim. Brings back memories.

Comment

Did a prelim investigation on the blue car, looks bent!

Can't really tell if the upper or spindle is damaged or not, I will probably just look at it when it all gets torn apart. I have to find a good spot to tear apart the tan car, unless I truly swap good for bad parts and make two 'complete' cars it may be pretty tricky moving the tan car around once parts get pulled.

I parked the coupe in a bad spot kinda in the middle of the driveway when I unloaded it, same spot as the snowy pics show. Well I went to move it and kinda forgot there are no brakes and ended up going off the driveway and had to power through a lap around the yard and sorta buried it a bit only because of the whole no reverse thing. Fun times, really wish I took a picture or two. I got time to deal with it today and pulled it backwards a bit and snow blowed a path out of the deep stuff. Its parked with the tan car now. Everytime I think about how much work I have in trans swapping to do I feel really really cold!

Comment

Picked up a manual trans today and @fleetwood sold me quite a few piece to the 5 speed swap puzzle.

It rode shotgun, it is a prelude model and I also got the prelude intermediate shaft and what we thought was the longer starter bolt needed. I have read I can use the prelude half-shaft as the accord CV is male/male splines and the prelude is male/female.

Comment

You'll need to look at this thread to move the stud(s) to match the right engine mount.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74780

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          You'll need to look at this thread to move the stud(s) to match the right engine mount.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74780
                          Will do, I'll look into getting the necessary tap, I don't think I have many metric taps.

Does anyone have the shifter boot trim piece by chance? I can buy a custom boot and knob easy enough but don't have the metal ring that would hold it to the console.
                          Honda 83415-SM4-J01
                          Plate, Boot Setting

I saw you have the half shaft, I'm debating whether to use a prelude set and just have to get the prelude CV or do a full accord set and get both pieces, one from you.

Comment

Scratch that, I stopped by the pic n pull and they had one MT CB7. I was without tools but I managed to get the shifter assy apart to get the ring mentioned above. I also grabbed the knob but the boot was torn and crappy so I left it. I may try and go back next weekend to grab some other stuff. It was 15* and blowing like a son of a gun so I didn't stay longer than I had to.

I know I need a brake pedal and starter. I'll move the motor mount bracket and get a 5spd rubber mount. Not sure if I really need the T-bracket and rear mount or not.

Comment

I have a spare OEM shift boot if you want it, the chrome is worn off (I just covered mine with electrical tape). If you want to go with a CB half shaft, you might grab that one - I couldn't find the spare spare I thought I had (I have one spare, but I'm keeping that one in case I need it for Ruby). I'm not sure if you have to change the rear bracket and mount or if you can leave those from the auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X