No announcement yet.

INT : DIY plastic polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've heard people say the meguier's plastic polish is good as well as the 3M version. ebay probably would be a good place to get it.
    also www.mothers.com
    later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
      i've heard people say the meguier's plastic polish is good as well as the 3M version. ebay probably would be a good place to get it.
      also www.mothers.com
      later.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bowzil
        TypeG, is it really hard to get mother's plastic polish Because I could not find any in Houston from autozone, O'reilly, advance auto part, walmart. Do you think I should by it from ebay? Is there any other brand that you would suggest since I think you are an expert in detailing.
        Thanks
        Did U try Pep Boys? I got mine from them.

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Last night I was polishing my clear bumper lights with meguiars plastic polish that thing was crystal clear. next project polish my climate control

Comment

The vinyl strip that wraps around the cb7, could you polish that up somehow? Mine is scuffed up and I was wondering if you could maybe buff out the scuffs and polish it up with something? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by CaPt Nimda
              The vinyl strip that wraps around the cb7, could you polish that up somehow? Mine is scuffed up and I was wondering if you could maybe buff out the scuffs and polish it up with something? Any ideas?
              are you talking about the door trim? later.

Comment

are you talking about the door trim? later.
                Yea, the black trim on the doors as well as the front and back bumpers.

Comment

most people either paint them or use a dressing like ''back to black'' or meguire's trim detail. i'm not sure if the plastic polish would work on the trim, but it's worth a try. later.

Comment

To join the crowd: Nice DIY!

I'm between motors redoing my interior completely
                    (Polishing EVERYTHING, Dyeing, new vinyl, full custom LED....yeah).
                    Thanks for the knowledge, I'm going crazy on it.
                    ...your engine bay...now that's insane!

I wanted to say two things:
                    1) polishing the guage trim makes it look too nice to be stock!

2)my family owns a jewelry business and use industrial Dremels
                    (motor hangs up and has long mandrel).
                    The speed is controlled by a foot pedal, so you could go 10 rpm if you want to, thus powered plastic polishing is possible, it's just that the first setting on our normal dremels is too fast.

I was thinking about posting a pile of polished parts pic, but it's your call.
                    My car is in my apartment, in ziploc bags awaiting various stages of grittiness .

Thanks for the inspiration, peace.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                    PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Originally posted by lucid
                      2)my family owns a jewelry business and use industrial Dremels
                      (motor hangs up and has long mandrel).
                      The speed is controlled by a foot pedal, so you could go 10 rpm if you want to, thus powered plastic polishing is possible, it's just that the first setting on our normal dremels is too fast.
                      I was thinking about posting a pile of polished parts pic, but it's your call.
                      post all the pics you want. i actually wondered if anyone ever polished anything besides their headlights and foglights.

your industrial dremel sounds interesting. i usually only use mine to polish small metal parts, due to the high speeds combined with small bits. but sense you have an adjustable foot pedal, you could probably get away with it. just don't sand to deep on the trim pieces cause there's a lighter layer of plastic under the black. later.

Comment

will an orbital buffer work alright on headlights i got the mothers mag and alloy polish

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

yes. it would take care of the main stuff, then use the plastic polish by hand to work an ultra shiny glaze on them. later.

Comment

yes. it would take care of the main stuff, then use the plastic polish by hand to work an ultra shiny glaze on them. later.
                            thanks as always.... Lord of all that shines

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

You say paint your black trim.
                              what type of paint do you recommend.
                              and your ext door handles should those be painted instead of polished also?
                              uh... if by overboosted you mean "right the fuck on" then, sure, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sirs1ayer
                                You say paint your black trim.
                                did i spray paint my trim? on the inside, no it's polished. on the ouside door trim, yes.

what type of paint do you recommend.
                                for painting vinyl, viynl color.
                                for painting plastic, krylon fusion

and your ext door handles should those be painted instead of polished also?
                                i've never polished an outside door handle. it usually comes painted unless you have a dx.

sorry if i didn't answer your question right, it was a little hard to understand. later.

Comment

Working...
                                X