Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cam shaft seal leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the help, at first i thought it was my head gasket, but i guess it just run down to it. much rather it be this seal instead, lol

Comment

You may not be able to tell but that particular seal may just not have aligned properly (just cant see it).

Logically if its intalled properly then it could only be the metal or the seal. If its not the metal then its the seal.

Unlikely to be the metal (unless it has chips or a crack) so it can only be the seal.

If the seal is new then i could only deduce that it was human error in its installation.

No biggie, and happens to the best of mechanics hence they cheat and use gasket makers just in case it does happen (the liquid blue or grey paste) - so that if it isn't installed correctly this paste will make up for the slack. It saves them from needing to reopen it so soon. That way when it does leak its of their warranty period.
      Rides:

Accord
      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

It's also quite possible you rolled the lip of the seal when you installed it. This can cause a leak, and is hard to see once installed. You have to be very careful when installing it, I always watch the entire diamater to make sure the lip doesn't get caught.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

I changed my seal last night, cant test it yet, but im trying to be optimistic. The old seal did look like it was pinched a little on the side, but not sure. Hopefully it wont leak when i start it again.. lol

Comment

What's the easiest way to replace the cam seal? When I had my rocker shaft assembly off to do the lower o-ring spark plug seals, it looked like the spring of my cam seal had come loose out of the seal.

I was thinking I might be able to remove the upper timing belt cover, loosen the timing belt tension with the adjuster and remove the timing belt from the cam sprocket after marking its location on the cam sprocket. I would then remove the cam sprocket with an impact to get to the cam seal. Is this method the best way, or is there an easier way to replace the cam seal?

Thanks.

Comment

Ok boys, ive replaced my cam seal, with a new one from Honda, slid in perfect, i also took RTV sealant on my valve cover gasket and let it dry for 24 hours. Started it today and its still barely seeps and mainly when i rev it a little. Its coming from the corner before the round hump starts, best i can tell, like where the rocker arm assembly mounts to the head, its hard to see where its coming from and i don't know what to do. please help, going back tomorrow to figure something out maybe put a little rtv on the edge of where rocker arm assembly meets head, dont know. thanks

Comment

no one?

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
                  Ok boys, ive replaced my cam seal, with a new one from Honda, slid in perfect, i also took RTV sealant on my valve cover gasket and let it dry for 24 hours. Started it today and its still barely seeps and mainly when i rev it a little. Its coming from the corner before the round hump starts, best i can tell, like where the rocker arm assembly mounts to the head, its hard to see where its coming from and i don't know what to do. please help, going back tomorrow to figure something out maybe put a little rtv on the edge of where rocker arm assembly meets head, dont know. thanks
                  You're now talking about your valve cover gasket, right?

Try taking the gasket completely off, cleaning the mating surfaces of oil, and using The Right Stuff instead of a gasket. It will conform perfectly to the surfaces and is pretty easy to remove from the valve cover and head mating surfaces (at least, the last time I did it it was easy). It's like spraying a bead of cheeze wiz on your valve cover except it instantly turns into a gasket. Make sure the bead is of fairly constant thickness going all around. Spray it right into the groove on the valve cover, thick enough to extend out of the groove and form a gasket surface between the cover and the head mounting surface. You can "spread" it a little using a piece of plastic (old credit card works) to even out any uneven spots, but try not to trap any big pockets of air in there while doing it. Once it's sprayed on you can immediately assemble the valve cover and tighten.

A can of The Right Stuff costs $14 and will make maybe 6 complete valve cover gaskets, versus a new valve cover gasket costing about $20 per.

Worked for me.

nice car by the way!
                  Last edited by batever; 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

thanks buddy, i might try that, it almost looks like its coming from between the rocker arm assembly at the end and the head, right where the valve cover starts over the hump, hard to tell what it is, thought it might be the cam shaft at first, but replaced it. thanks

Comment

I think i figured it out, i didnt know you were suppose to put sealant on the ends where the rocker arm assembly mounts to the head, i think thats my leak..

Comment

Working...
                      X