No announcement yet.

Hit Curb -Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This situation happened to me once, it's likely that you are looking at something like this.

Probably a tie rod also.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
      Let me know if you need help, I'll help you wrench it back together.
      I'm gonna take off the wheel today and see what it is... If it's really bad, AKA Subframe, I'll totally take you up on that haha.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by tommi View Post
        my advise is dont hit curbs looks like yall had more snow up that way then we did down here. stay safe and keep us informed what u find out.
        Right?! I can't believe I was "That Guy". It was totally my fault LOL.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Short story: I swerved to miss hitting a dog. I hit a curb instead at 25 MPH at an angle that was more parallel with the curb than perpendicular. I bent the lower control arm and the tie rod. Here's the worst part though. It also bent the front rear-subframe. This is the subframe that the rear motor mount sits on, the steering rack is mounted to it as well as the lower control arms.

Even after replacing everything and bolting it back together, the car never felt the same again.

GL

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            And don't take it to a frame shop. Our cars don't have frames. And also shows tire guy has no idea what he is talking about. Best of luck
            Even though they don't technically have a separate frame, the dimensions of the body structure can be measured and (within limits) pulled/straightened on a frame rack. I had my wagon checked before rebuilding the front end after a similar curb hit and another Accord pulled (Saving Silver) after a tree hit on the right front corner.

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
            Short story: I swerved to miss hitting a dog. I hit a curb instead at 25 MPH at an angle that was more parallel with the curb than perpendicular. I bent the lower control arm and the tie rod. Here's the worst part though. It also bent the front rear-subframe. This is the subframe that the rear motor mount sits on, the steering rack is mounted to it as well as the lower control arms.

Even after replacing everything and bolting it back together, the car never felt the same again.

GL
            I did that and more on my wagon and it drives just fine since. You may not have found all the damage. That main subframe is a little tricky to get centered on the body structure which can affect how well it is able to be aligned.
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I had this happen to me too, I put my car in the ditch once and bent the subframe, control arm, and radius rod. That sucked. I didn't have this community to lean on for advice back then so I had it towed to a shop. After a diagnosis and estimate for $2000+ I had it towed home and my Dad and I embarked on a project. Sourced parts from a junkyard and got to swapping. Took some time but we got it done.

So you got us here giving you all the advice. Use that advice. Get under your car and look for obvious bent parts. You got the other unbent side to compare to. Replace damaged parts, get an alignment from a competent shop.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Also having winter tires really helps in winter.

Comment

Hey Dudes. It's definitely the lower control arm.

I don't think anything else is bent. (From what I can tell, referencing from the passenger side)

I am going to the Junk Yard with BreckAConner tomorrow to get another one.

I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Take a really close look at the lower control arm mounting point on the cross member.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      Take a really close look at the lower control arm mounting point on the cross member.
                      Good work. But I second this. These cars like to bend at that point.

Comment

Also consider getting a new control arm, that way you get new bushings (and save a lot of labor).

Rockauto:
                        MOOG RK80324 {#51365SM4040} R-Series $29.79

Amazon:
                        Moog RK80324 Control Arm $36.88 Prime
                        1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                        VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                        NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                        CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Originally posted by masospaghetti View Post
                          Also consider getting a new control arm, that way you get new bushings (and save a lot of labor).

Rockauto:
                          MOOG RK80324 {#51365SM4040} R-Series $29.79

Amazon:
                          Moog RK80324 Control Arm $36.88 Prime
                          I was thinking about doing that....But I wanted it to be matching the other side, and I need this car on the road today, so I can go to work
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                            I'll give it a second look... I didn't compare it to the other side yet..
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Oh nooooo. It looks like it's bent a little.... crap
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                                Oh nooooo. It looks like it's bent a little.... crap
                                Another junkyard run. Takes a bit of time but it's still better than totally investing in a different car.
                                MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                                X