Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best affordable struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KYB is good.
    Using a spring compressor adds about 10 minutes per unit. Less if you have a helper.

Comment

Even swapping the springs yourself you should be able to do this in a few hours easily. As long as you have some mechanical knowledge it's really a straight forward job.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I think i am going to go with the kyb strut plus. I am wondering which ones are easiest to do first,front or rear?Am going to do a set at a time.
        Last edited by zedjr10; 02-24-2017, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I would never use one of those spring compressors again after I had them slid off and about pinch my finger between it and the top hat. Easier to drop the struts and pay $10 a strut and have a shop swap springs. Takes them about 2 minutes a strut and your not in any danger. Just my opinion.

Comment

The KYB Strut Plus is probably a good option, if you're set on not replacing the springs. I was unaware that they made such a thing. The only spring/shock combinations that I've ever seen have been Gabriel, Monroe, and other total garbage.
            Unless you find a great deal, though, you're paying twice as much for those units as you would for the shocks alone (though the GR2 shocks mentioned above and the Excel-G shocks that come in the Strut Plus combo are the same exact shocks, so that's good.)

You're looking at a $500 job instead of a $250 job. However, new springs and top mounts aren't a bad thing (at least not when they come from a decent company.) I suppose that's worth something.

Comment

I haven't checked in a while but are Honda OEM springs still out there?
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                I haven't checked in a while but are Honda OEM springs still out there?
                I don't believe so. But I think a number of quality manufacturers make OEM spec replacements (that are likely to be as good as, possibly even superior to, the originals.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  The KYB Strut Plus is probably a good option, if you're set on not replacing the springs. I was unaware that they made such a thing. The only spring/shock combinations that I've ever seen have been Gabriel, Monroe, and other total garbage.
                  It seems most(Monroe's for sure) are made in china now. KYB's s strut-plus i found alot of good ratings for the fronts(sr4044 & sr4043). The backs are mixed reviews mostly complaining about wrong orientation. I got 2 of the front's for 206 dollars total including shipping.

Comment

Hey thanks for everyones input. Helped me greatly in deciding. I think these kyb's are going to work out great and I'll let yall know. That's a sweet ass ride Hiptech. I love the stock look u got. Nothing classier than that imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
                      I would never use one of those spring compressors again after I had them slid off and about pinch my finger between it and the top hat. Easier to drop the struts and pay $10 a strut and have a shop swap springs. Takes them about 2 minutes a strut and your not in any danger. Just my opinion.
                      Amen. If a spring compressor comes loose, it can kill you. No joke.

This is exactly what I did with when I installed my Koni Yellows. My local shop also charged me $10 per strut and they did it quick. Just need to arrange in advance if you want them to swap the struts while you wait.

Comment

You'll still save a ton of money by simply removing the shocks assemblies from the car yourself and taking it to a shop to have them swap shocks and compressing the springs.

I did this on my parent's 03 Sienna since the strut looked a lot more scary than our shocks (a lot bigger spring with more energy). It cost me 20 a side for them to install the strut and new strut mount. I dropped it off and an hour or so later they were done and ready for pickup.

I think the best solution would be to purchase new KYB GR2 shocks, and buy new strut mount bushings from Honda. They're about 2 bucks a piece, you'll need 8 of them to cover all 4 shocks (2 per shock) that's really all you need. Replacing those bushings will solve any creaking issues you have going over little bumps in the road.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Function and Form full coilovers her and they feel great

Comment

Ordered the front kyb strut plus and am going to replace the upper control arm at same time. I am assuming i follow instructions for taking out strut first and replacing then install the UAC. IS this right. Is there anything else i should replace while there?

Comment

Pull out old struts, remove and replace UCA, then replace new strut.

As far as anything else, it would be worth it to replace your lower ball joints on the knuckles as those are prone to fail more than anything else.

Comment

My car has KYB's also. Ride quality is good. Soft but not too bouncy.

Comment

Working...
                                X