Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rod Knock / Timing belt tensioner??? Knocks at around 2000 RPMS (HELP PLEASE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve train is more of a tapping sound rarely a knocking sound from my experience. Hondas have this regardless. If its an on and off I would check the plugs for spark knock. If its constant and consistent that would be a confirmed rod knock and you will be able to find out by pulling the oil pan and checking for metal bits. But check your plugs. You sure your bushings and all are good. You sure its not a clicking since you say it happens when you turn. You sure it aint the axle? I would give that a look see.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

try changing the viscocity of oil to a lighter weight,and run some engine flush through it. it could be a number of things, but start with the easier thins first, and least expensive. if you are running to thick of oil your valves are'nt clearenced enough to get oil to the top. try checkin the oil press when u hear the knock. if theres any syn oil mixed w/ conv oil sometimes it foams up too. that to me explains the low rpm range. cause if ur rpms go up ur oil pump works harder pushin hardr thus makin the oil reah its proper destination if that makes sense
      AUTO REOLUTION : A BAND OF BROTHERS FROM WEST TENNESSEE WE LIVE AND DIE BY THE NEED FOR SPEED

Comment

no no no - no noises when turning (not cv joint for sure) -- only when like driving on a small grade hill maintaining speed if that makes sense... and you're right about hte valve train noise -- guess i gotta pull some plugs? well first just the wires to short the plugs out and run --- = then pull the plugs to look at them...

and the noise isnt there at like say 1400 rpms - and its also quiet above 2200 rpms.. and i dont think theres any foaming of the oil that ive noticed -- and i dont have a pressure guage for the oil..

thats an interesting theory that the plugs could be all fouled up or something or the gap has changed and has carbon all over it or something... im sure they're the original plugs since honda doesnt even recommend changing til like 110k or some crap like that. hell, they're prally never even been pulled outa there -- i gotta get a real long ratchet to get them out im pretty sure or i would have done it earlier...

Comment

i wasnt sure if i mentioned that the car and engine have 96k miles.. no mods -- all stock.

Comment

A small extension with a 5/8 spark plug socket works wonders.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah good point...

Comment

try gettin a valve job?? maybe the valves are just loose enough to hit the right harmonic point????

Comment

Later Dude Hit Me Up When U Get Back Online Let Me Know Whats Up
                  AUTO REOLUTION : A BAND OF BROTHERS FROM WEST TENNESSEE WE LIVE AND DIE BY THE NEED FOR SPEED

Comment

well i have a cb7 and mine sounds like it knoking anround those same rpms but i found out today that some how my downpipe got pushed towards the frontend of the car and its my down pipe vibrating on crossmember/subframe whatever u call it but stops when i get pass those rpms

Comment

hmm... never thought about the valves creating a resonance like that or the exaust pipe -- im gonna have to print out this whole post and take it out to the car if we get a day above freezing sometime here and check all these things out... i mean my first instinct says not the valves or the pipe - but they are absolutely worth checking.

I guess one thing worth noting is that it really doesnt seem to have gotten any worse of the past 2,000 miles since i bought the car back in the first week of December..

but - trust me, I'm not just making something out of nothing - if you were in the car with me drivin with the radio off - you'd be like "what the hell?" when it makes the noise...

i mean honest to god -- when i was on the way home from the dealership - the radio code had been set off so i had to get the code from an actual honda dealer, so i had no radio and it was snowing pretty bad out -- so i was driving over snow (which is real quiet) -- so i could hear the noise at waht seemed "amplified" -- and honest to god, i thought the engine was toast right then and there -- but its still the same noise now and it still does sound kinda bad -- but has definitely not gotten any worse...

Comment

im no expert i was just thinking of possible unusual outcomes. i dont even know if a point of harmonic resonance can even be done... haha just tryin to help

Comment

u mean you cant imagine it being fixed if it is a case of harmonic resonance?

Comment

It's unlikely that it has anything to do with harmonic resonance.

Comment

Yeah - you're probably right.......

Comment

well i pretty much drove home with the radio off the whole time... its so hard to say --- i mean i still stick to my guns with the "hammer on wood" but its faster than anyone would tap a hammer in succession but not super fast.. does that make sense? its almost like a "rattle" but not quite as fast as you would expect a rattle to be -- but truly only under a light load!

i revved it again and cant tell where its coming from -- i also noted that even when the water temp reaches normal operating temp -- the noise doesnt start -- it doesnt start til like 10 minutes into driving -- til the car is good and hot -- but the water temp is still right in the middle....

pissing me off.... :

Comment

Working...
                                X