Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap

Hey everyone i currently have a 1993 accord sedan its been swapped to 5 speed im looking for a cheap engine swap to get max power any suggestions would ve greatly appreciated thank you

Cheap is not a good description for an engine swap. What are you goals, what is cheap considered to you? Is this your daily driver? Do you plan to retain A/c or Power steering?

There is a metric ton of information on swaps done to our cars on this site. Fortunately for you just about every swap has already been done so you can use the search function and I guarantee you’ll find someone has done it and documented the process.

We even have a section called Swaps that you can look under and get ideas.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

“Max power” won’t be cheap. Cheap won’t be fast, or reliable.

I would recommend the H22A. 92-95 for easiest installation. You’ll find step by step instructions in the swaps section, as Nick suggested. You’ll also find that you get much more help when you’ve taken the time to do research on your own. There are guys with 20+ years experience modifying these cars on here. Their input is incredibly valuable. But most of them won’t waste their time helping if they feel like they’re spoon feeding you.

Other swap options are less-powerful H/F series engines, or more advanced K series engines that will be costly to install.
      You could also beef up the internals in your current engine and go turbo. That will be the most power for the money, but it’ll still cost over $3000 to really do it right. And reliability may not be as good as stock, or an unmodified stock engine.

Comment

Just wanted to reinforce what Deev said.

The term "swap" has sort of become a catch-all word these days and doesn't accurately convey what is needed to change an engine out in most instances. This is evidenced by the fact that it is even used as a noun, which I find odd. Many times a "swap" might cost some small amount, but all of the ancillary items needed to actually start the car and drive with that engine cause the overall cost to increase substantially.

The OBD1 H22A is the perfect beginner swap to have a car with 170whp and factory reliability. It is the best example of an engine that truly is as-advertised in terms of how easy it is to perform, and how significant the gains are. I always say the H23A VTEC would be the one I'd recommend, but it does take slightly more to explain some of the minor nuances.

Something to keep in mind these days is that even your newest, best-kept OBD1 H22As are 24 years old at this point. Even those are going to need timing belts, seals and o-rings galore. However, due to the availability of a plug-and-play ECU, the ability to reuse OEM Accord mounts and axles (or even the whole transmission, if you're okay with the difference in gearing), and how compatible the intake and exhaust manifolds are with what's already in the car, it just can't be beat in terms of how economical it is.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

k24
          COUPE K24

Comment

H23a can get you over 200whp stock...well intake and headers.

Do a bit of research and you'll be rewarded. Most everything is available here as far as basic maintenance is concerned.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
              k24
              I won't argue that it's not better in terms of reliability, power and its ability to be modified, but it's certainly not cheap. I know you found an OEM axle solution, and that the engines can be had from salvage yards for very cheap, but the other stuff adds up.

Engine - $350 (K24A2)
              Transmission - $200 (Accord 5-speed)
              Mounts - $550
              Hondata K-Pro - $650
              Axles - $150
              Wiring harness - $350
              Header + exhaust mod. - $350
              Shifter+cables/throttle cable/intake/etc. - $150

Worth it? Yes. Cheap for the performance? Yes. Cheapest? Not quite.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaboy1990 View Post
                Hey everyone i currently have a 1993 accord sedan its been swapped to 5 speed im looking for a cheap engine swap to get max power any suggestions would ve greatly appreciated thank you

h23a blue has 200 horsepower.
                If this is enough, then the choice is obvious for everyday.

Comment

It's also OBD2 only, which requires some modification to work in an OBD1 car.
                  Not a bad option, but the H22A also has 200hp, and OBD1 models exist (though they are getting harder to find.) For American buyers, at least, the H22A can be cheaper and easier to repair than the H23A or F20B, which were never offered in the North American market. Parts stores and North American based online retailers don't stock parts for those engines.

If you're looking for the following things:

Reliability
                  Ease of installation
                  Low cost
                  Parts availability
                  Mechanic familiarity
                  Internet documentation
                  Aftermarket support
                  As much power as you can get while meeting the above criteria

Then the H22A is the best choice. OBD1 if you can find it, as that will be the easiest swap.
                  The H23A1 is probably your next best bet.
                  Next up would be the foreign market (non-US) engines, such as F20B, H23A VTEC, F22B DOHC, etc...
                  After that, things get expensive. The K series is fantastic, and will remain supported by the aftermarket long after the H and F series engines are forgotten, but the cost of installing one (parts alone) exceeds the value of most CB7s.
                  Beyond the K series, it's all custom. You're limited only by the money you're willing to pay for a professional fabricator to get crazy with your car. People have done RWD V8 swaps in these cars (I wouldn't recommend that, as it sacrifices everything that makes these cars great.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    It's also OBD2 only, which requires some modification to work in an OBD1 car.
                    Not a bad option, but the H22A also has 200hp, and OBD1 models exist (though they are getting harder to find.) For American buyers, at least, the H22A can be cheaper and easier to repair than the H23A or F20B, which were never offered in the North American market. Parts stores and North American based online retailers don't stock parts for those engines.

If you're looking for the following things:

Reliability
                    Ease of installation
                    Low cost
                    Parts availability
                    Mechanic familiarity
                    Internet documentation
                    Aftermarket support
                    As much power as you can get while meeting the above criteria

Then the H22A is the best choice. OBD1 if you can find it, as that will be the easiest swap.
                    The H23A1 is probably your next best bet.
                    Next up would be the foreign market (non-US) engines, such as F20B, H23A VTEC, F22B DOHC, etc...
                    After that, things get expensive. The K series is fantastic, and will remain supported by the aftermarket long after the H and F series engines are forgotten, but the cost of installing one (parts alone) exceeds the value of most CB7s.
                    Beyond the K series, it's all custom. You're limited only by the money you're willing to pay for a professional fabricator to get crazy with your car. People have done RWD V8 swaps in these cars (I wouldn't recommend that, as it sacrifices everything that makes these cars great.)

I myself made a swap from a carburetor f20a to h23a in two weeks. there is a lot of information on the Internet how to remake a braid.
                    no need to fear obd2

Comment

Originally posted by Nahlabuher View Post
                      I myself made a swap from a carburetor f20a to h23a in two weeks. there is a lot of information on the Internet how to remake a braid.
                      no need to fear obd2
                      With no disrespect to the OP but that is the problem right there Nahlabuher, if you have to go and ask it normally means there has been no research done therefore going in blind. Maybe i am getting older and cantankerous but i see more people embarking on voyages without as much as a paddle and then get upset when people wont finish the job they started for them, this has caused me to move away from forums as some people wont even take the time to look up oil change steps on youtube but at the same time are starting threads about FI and swaps.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

That’s true. When the first questions are about cost and ease, that’s usually a red flag.
                        Obd2 is just a little more work, but everything you touch is one more thing that can go wrong!

Comment

Working...
                        X