No announcement yet.

Grumpys93 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so maybe y'all can help. Got the head back on compression test was 155/145/155/170. I am going to readjust the valves again and see if I can get those numbers a little closer together.

I attempted to start it the other day and it would not start unless I was WOT and had it crank for a good couple cranks. Now I don't know if this is due to the basemap or what. I have my wideband hooked up and the gauge was reading around 16.8 when I was WOT or holding it at 2k.

I decided to pull the plugs and see if I can see anything and this is what I found:

Its kind of hard to tell but 1 &4 are covered in soot and 2&3 are blackish with a gloss to them. I decided to check the injectors first thinking maybe they were spraying and I found the resistance to all of them were .007 and that they were all seeing 12 volts. Only thing I didn't check was the signal wire, but that is due to not having someone available to crank while I check.

I think the injectors and harness are fine as I used this same harness on the h22, along with the fuel lines and fuel pump. So my questions are:

what could be causing the need to be WOT to get it start and stay alive?

Why are 1&4 spark plugs full of carbon and 2&3 aren't?

So the only variables I have changed between the h22 and this motor are, the motor, the turbo, the dizzy(though I swapped the h22 dizzy guts into the f22 body), intake manifold but not throttle body, map sensor, injectors.

Pretty much everything else is the same from the h22. I know the map sensor is reading correctly because we saw it when Blake hooked up his laptop, and he calibrated the tps while getting ready for the first start up.

Could these issues be from the basemap not being complete? Or is there something else going on? I am lost here guys....
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

So were the injectors cleaned by a shop (tested) and/or where did they come from? And that spark plug near the top, is the gap correct?

Soot implies a lean condition, which makes sense if not enough fuel is getting in. Symptoms point to dirty injectors as only way gas is getting through is WOT. Without WOT maybe only a trickle...?

Comment

The injectors are brand new and I got the from phearable.net who is very reputable. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the injectors. I gapped the plugs when I first got them and I can’t remember to what, it’s documented here somewhere. I believe it was .28 but that’s me guessing without looking back.
        Last edited by Grumpys93; 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          The injectors are brand new and I got the from phearable.net who is very reputable. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the injectors. I tapped the plugged when I first got them I can’t remember to what, it’s documented here somewhere. I believe it was .28 but that’s me guessing without looking back.
          Does the ECT read properly? And TPS?
          How does it sound when it does start with WOT?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Does the ECT read properly? And TPS?
            How does it sound when it does start with WOT?
            I haven’t hooked it up to my laptop before starting it due to my laptop pooping out on me. I’m going to Best Buy to get a cheap laptop for this. I know TPS was reading initially reading 110% when we first hooked up the laptop, but then blake hit a button and hit calibrated it to 100% at WOT.

For the ECT I’m assuming you mean the engine coolant temp, I didn’t see what the screen looked like when blake was hooked into the Ecu. I’ll check when I get my new laptop tomorrow if it’s reading ECT. It should since they are all brand new sensors or ones that’s were on the H22. I ran the same TPS on the H22a and never touched it transferring the throttle body from the H to the F

On start up it initially sounds like it’s misfiring and only running on 2-3 cyclinder a bit when I can hold it at 2k it sounds normal. I’ll try and get a video of it up tomorrow.
            Last edited by Grumpys93; 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM.
            ~Nick~

Comment

I see that service manual in there! I am so glad I have one, I just wished mine looked as good as yours.

I just read through about your 180 out timing troubles. I'm sorry you're having to go through that right now.

Those readings on the AFR gauge confuzzle me. 16.8 at WOT is downright dangerously lean, and still leaner than mine was running if I were to hold it a 2k. It is also the AFR cap reading if you are using the D14 signal, which runs from 0-3.x volts The fact that the AFRs didn't change makes me think it is not hooked up correctly. Did you pin the ECU wire for the wideband to D14 on the ECU?
              Last edited by af_1132; 06-09-2019, 12:52 AM.
              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

No I did d10 and clipped the two resistors r138 and r136 so it sees the full 5 volts. Followed phearables method.
                ~Nick~

Comment

so what are you going to do?

Comment

I also want to double check that you calibrated the wideband. On my Innovate model, if I remember correctly, I had to turn the ignition on and have the wideband open to the air for 30 seconds or so.

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

So some good news, decided to triple check my timing and I was off by one tooth, literally one tooth, compression is now 190/185/180/190 and it starts. Still doesn't run without me holding the throttle slightly open. Also kinda sounds like its running on 3 cylinders. Checked spark at all 4 and all 4 are sparking. They all smell like gas, and the AF is holding around 11-12 at 1k. So I sent a datalog to blake and he is going to take a look and refine it.

Also I am running AEM X-series wideband and it doesn't say it needs any calibration, but I will triple check that.
                      ~Nick~

Comment

Well, great news! When's the appointment with Blake?

Comment

Hmm, what is your fuel pressure and what do you have set at the injector duty cycle?

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                            Well, great news! When's the appointment with Blake?
                            Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                            Hmm, what is your fuel pressure and what do you have set at the injector duty cycle?
                            I sent Blake a datalog today to work out the idle issue since the car won’t idle on its own. Once we get the idle issue figured out we’ll set an appointment.

My fuel pressure is 38psi and I’ll have to look to see what the duty cycle is. I’m still trying to learn my way around S300.
                            ~Nick~

Comment

Update:
                              So worked on the car some more and after troubleshooting the crap out of it and doing lots of research on the delta 272 regrind, I found that the car won't idle properly unless it idles around 900-1000. So I adjusted the idle and now it idles nicely.

I went ahead and wrapped the manifold in DEI Titanium wrap as well as the turbo blanket, which let me tell you I hate fiberglass, even with gloves the stuff still gets in your skin.... But for a first time wrapping a manifold I think it turned out great:

In other news, now that the idle issue is resolved and I confirmed I don't have a misfire or bad timing, the tuning process has begun. We are currently working on just the daily driving habits and up to 5 psi of boost. All I can say is, man do miss riding/driving a boosted cb. This motor wants to feed! I have a small clip and if I figure out how to upload it to youtube, ill put a link in here for your viewing pleasure.
                              Last edited by Grumpys93; 06-20-2019, 10:19 PM.
                              ~Nick~

Comment

ooh ooh ooh ... shame you had to hide that beautiful manifold under all that wrap!
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X