• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford focus RS vs civic type R

Opinions https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...cus-rs-debate/

I thought the type R was 350HP?

Comment

Nah, only 306. That's still a huge number to the front wheels for a factory vehicle!

What the Type R lacks in power, I feel it will make up in weight. It's probably got a 400lb advantage over the Focus RS. The Honda is probably the better-made car, too. Ford has come a long way, but I don't think they're quite there yet in terms of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Nah, only 306. That's still a huge number to the front wheels for a factory vehicle!

What the Type R lacks in power, I feel it will make up in weight. It's probably got a 400lb advantage over the Focus RS. The Honda is probably the better-made car, too. Ford has come a long way, but I don't think they're quite there yet in terms of quality.
        Of course, it's a ford, lol. In Canada / east coast Honda at 62,000miles is perfect!, Ford will be a rust bucket of bolts waiting to strip.

I was just thinking to have a sporty body like that (civic) wouldn't you want HP to back it up? I know it's a power/weight ratio but like the Challanger I would think Honda would finally step up to the plate and stomp the competition. It's like seeing high HP cars with huge spoilers and ya think "awesome!" , the you see a low HP car with the same huge spoiler and you think.... "noooooo.....!".

Comment

Yeah. Makes me think of the Pontiac G6 GXP. Made 30hp more than the G6 GT, but still pretty sad at only 251hp for a 3500lb FWD car... and the styling... barf! The Chevy S10 and Blazer "xtreme" were similar. More barf (and at like 200hp, they were pretty pathetic!)

The Civic Type R is definitely sporting a "boy racer" look, like its competition (aside from the Golf R, IMO)... but at least it can back it up!

Comment

I am pretty sure the 306HP is conservative.

The old version of this car has already tested faster than the Golf-R from a roll, and Honda's new 1.5T puts about its crank rating to the wheels.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

That's pretty awesome.
              That really is a buttload of power to the front wheels, even at the 306 figure.

Comment

Is the Focus RS still selling well over MSRP?

I suspect the CTR will do the same, at least initially. I bet you'll see scenarios like when the Mugen Si was released in the US with multiple thefts as well.

The cars really operate in completely different arenas. The allure of the Focus RS is the so-called drift model AWDKENBLOCKHOONIGANDANKVAPINGFLATBRIMMONSTERRRRRR feature. The CTR is more the JDM fanboys who won't be caught dead in a Ford.

Comment

What has me intrigued is what Mugen will do with the CTR.

Comment

Well I anticipate the race between the Honda and Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

At least not the American branch of FoMoCo, Australian and European branches are far ahead of what we get here; i tried to sway 3 dealerships in TX to have a special Cosworth version of the Mustang built a year before the line was released in U.S but they werent interested. Little known fact is that while everyone thinks the Coyote and EcoBoost engines are a fairly new design, they are actually based on the Australian counterparts that have been used for over a decade now.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        At least not the American branch of FoMoCo, Australian and European branches are far ahead of what we get here; i tried to sway 3 dealerships in TX to have a special Cosworth version of the Mustang built a year before the line was released in U.S but they werent interested. Little known fact is that while everyone thinks the Coyote and EcoBoost engines are a fairly new design, they are actually based on the Australian counterparts that have been used for over a decade now.
                        Shame Ford Australia is no longer. Ford UK has a bunch of fun offerings still. Their 80's performance car lineup looked like a blast to drive.

Comment

Ford's current offerings are global. We no longer get inferior models.

Comment

Really excited about this new Type R. Finally, Honda is doing something they should have done a long time ago. But it makes sense now. Traditionally Honda (and Civic's in general) have been marketed as econo entry level. That's my hunch why they decided to only bring the ITR here, for Acura. Remember that was like $24k MSRP ($36k adjusted for inflation). Pretty expensive compared to a Civic DX of the time. Nowadays you can get a Civic hatchback Sport Touring for $28k.

From what I know, the first year Type R will be very limited. Dealers are only getting 1, if any, and a max of 3 going to the top Civic selling dealer. This was based on 2016 calendar year Civic sales.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                              Shame Ford Australia is no longer. Ford UK has a bunch of fun offerings still. Their 80's performance car lineup looked like a blast to drive.
                              I remember about 12 years ago when i first heard a rumor of Ford merging their branches and this Mustang was supposed to be the project created together to be released accross the 3 fronts. I actually knew about the Coyote before 07 and tought was a great idea since it was a very direct and much needed competitor to the LS engines since the 5.4 DOHC was not released in America in sports form.
                              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Working...
                              X