Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Upper control arm strengthening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper control arm strengthening?

Can I weld a plate to the open end of the upper control arm to make it stiffer? Or is it a dumb idea?... I plan to change to urethane bushings later on this year...
    4000watts just so all the haters hear me comin!

Originally posted by Binladin View Post
    Can I weld a plate to the open end of the upper control arm to make it stiffer? Or is it a dumb idea?... I plan to change to urethane bushings later on this year...
    You could but that metal is kind of thin and done incorrectly could tweak and distort it enough to cause problems. why do you want to reinforce it? usually i go by the adage..if it aint broke dont fix it, and K.I.S.S.

edit: You could emulate this, strengthening the UCA mount to the body

or theres gussets that weld to the body (Spoon- S2K)

Last edited by illinois_erik; 04-13-2012, 02:18 AM.

Comment

why do you need to strengthen them?

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
        You could but that metal is kind of thin and done incorrectly could tweak and distort it enough to cause problems. why do you want to reinforce it? usually i go by the adage..if it aint broke dont fix it, and K.I.S.S.

edit: You could emulate this, strengthening the UCA mount to the body

or theres gussets that weld to the body (Spoon- S2K)

On the last pic, can you do that to a cb7?? If yes then with that set up you could roll on wider rims without having trouble clearing the arms ???

MRT Thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193631
        My fs thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=190359

Comment

You would have to hack up the shock tower to get those on a CB7. There's barely enough room on the outsides of the anchor bolts to get a closed end wrench, let alone one of those braces.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Was just looking for a way to maybe make the front tighter and since I already have like 4-5 old control arms and metal plate laying around... What if I tack welded and cooled it like a body panel? Or just pointless?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
              You would have to hack up the shock tower to get those on a CB7. There's barely enough room on the outsides of the anchor bolts to get a closed end wrench, let alone one of those braces.
              Then it would be too hard to be done, too bad cuz it sounds like a nice ideap to try out

MRT Thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193631
              My fs thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=190359

Comment

I wont rain on your parade

Originally posted by Binladin View Post
                Was just looking for a way to maybe make the front tighter and since I already have like 4-5 old control arms and metal plate laying around... What if I tack welded and cooled it like a body panel? Or just pointless?
                IMO it pointless, the rigidity is there made by the stamped shape of the UCA, if you want it tighter..do a triangulated upper and a lower front tie bar, they also have unibody fender tie bars, then theres also rear upper and lower tie bars. If youre handy with a welder make some custom subframe connectors.
                But if you have extra UCA's and the time go for it and let us know if you gain anything. and yeah spread out the heat to minimize distortion. they do have UCA's that are DOM tubing and tig'd

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens_CB7 View Post
                  On the last pic, can you do that to a cb7?? If yes then with that set up you could roll on wider rims without having trouble clearing the arms ???
                  thats for an S2K.. but I think its still the same mount points, it just beefs em up

Comment

The stock UCAs are pretty much as strong as you need. Welding a brace closest to the anchor points isn't going to make a difference. Strengthening the mounting area around the anchor points (shock tower) would be where I would be looking to add any strength. In this case, installing one of the many shock tower braces available, would be the easy route for doing that.

Besides, If you were to close in the open/mounting end of the UCA. You would then have to unbolt your strut and spring assembly in order to put the strut through the now boxed in UCA.
                    Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You could upgrade to these:

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                        You could upgrade to these:

Those suck. They smash up your tower even if you are slightly lowered.
                        wat?

Comment

I'm leaning more towards the strut braces but I'm still gonna try it when I get the chance

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                            Those suck. They smash up your tower even if you are slightly lowered.
                            Nothing a hammer won't fix. The OP was wanting to see Upper control arm strengthening. I have been running these for years and they are still holding up just fine.

Because they smash your tower, does not mean they suck. They might not clear, but by no means do they suck.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Civic control arms?

The Race Car

Comment

Working...
                              X