Exedy OE replacement or Stage 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exedy OE replacement or Stage 1

I know there are TONS of threads but none really compared the OEM Exedy vs Stage 1 Exedy.

I think I'm going to replace my clutch since I'm doing the Tranny rebuild might as well replace this since its got about 40k miles, but is the Exedy OE replacement is good for both the Accord and the Prelude VTEC?

When I looked up the clutches on Majestic, they're two different part numbers for the Accord and Prelude VTEC.

22200-PT7-013 and 22300-PT7-023 for the Accord for disc and pressure plate
    22200-P13-005 and 22300-P13-005 for Prelude VTEC disc and pressure plate

So that leads me to believe that Honda made the Prelude one a bit beefier than the Accord one.

I'm just concerned that If I buy an Exedy OEM replacement, that it'll only have enough capacity meant for an Accord's F22 engine ~140hp vs my H22 engine ~200hp thats swapped in there right now. I know the torque between the two is only about a 20ft-lb difference but with the sporty nature of the H22 vs F22 should I be concerned at all?

My trans guy said that I'll be fine with the OEM replacement if I'm just keeping it NA w/ bolt-ons

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

any opinions? I'm thinking the OE Exedy will be okay but I want to hear if anyone had any bad experiences w/ it using it on an H22A

member's ride thread
    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

A lot will hinge on how you drive the car. If you spend most of your time in the lower rpm range where the H22A doesn't make much torque you'll be okay with an OE replacement. But if you ever launch it or do a lot of spirited power shifting then you're due for an upgrade whether you have an H22A or not.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I have an exedy oe on my f22 which has 133whp, 126wtq. When I launch at 5k with launch control the clutch burns quite a bit.....so I do it rarely. Point is when I replace this clutch I'll be going with a stg1. It fits my driving style better. I think it depends on our driving style as was said before.

Why not just get an Exedy oe for the h22 engine instead of for the f22?
        My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
          I have an exedy oe on my f22 which has 133whp, 126wtq. When I launch at 5k with launch control the clutch burns quite a bit.....so I do it rarely. Point is when I replace this clutch I'll be going with a stg1. It fits my driving style better. I think it depends on our driving style as was said before.

Why not just get an Exedy oe for the h22 engine instead of for the f22?
          they're the same clutch/Part Number for F22 and H22, thats what worries me. So what i'm wondering is how can a clutch made for an anemic 140hp F22 handle the same power as a clutch for the 200hp H22.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

If it's for the coupe in your sig, go with the stage 1. You have an H22 mated to an LSD transmission....go stage 1.
            H23A-powered CB7 coming soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon View Post
              If it's for the coupe in your sig, go with the stage 1. You have an H22 mated to an LSD transmission....go stage 1.
              well yeah, i'm on the fence, but if I were to get something in that price range, I was considering an Action clutch

This one in particular:

http://www.actionclutch.com/index.ph...product_id=404

or Competition clutch Stage 1.5 w/ 50% holding capacity over stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-...ht_2166wt_1139

Competition stage 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPETITION-...ht_2478wt_1270

but it's definitely getting up there in price, 3x that of a stock exedy easy. I was also THINKING about some autocross maybe in the summer time.
              Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I actually had both Exedy OEM and now I have Stage 1.

IMO go with stage 1, you won't regret it.

Accord and Prelude kits are the same for both OEM replacement and Stage 1.
                JDM Parts for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  they're the same clutch/Part Number for F22 and H22, thats what worries me. So what i'm wondering is how can a clutch made for an anemic 140hp F22 handle the same power as a clutch for the 200hp H22.
                  Anemic? You are talking a 60hp difference.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    Anemic? You are talking a 60hp difference.
                    trust me, you can feel that difference, plus the H22 is a much sportier engine, stock to stock, which is how i'm thinking Exedy designed the OE clutch to be just sufficient for the F22 that never gets driven hard.

The way I drive my 4dr 90 EX 5spd CB is a LOT different than the way I drive my H22 M2B4 coupe, so I'm worried that it can't take the abuse.

I'm still looking for specs on the OEM Exedy clutch though...if it can handle 200whp or 200 tq then I'd be happy with that.

If you think about it, 60hp is about a 40% increase over stock going from the F22 to H22, so is the Stage 1 Exedy needed since it offers 36% increase over the OE Exedy?

So far the consensus seems to be to stay with my Stage 1 that I originally had...I mean it won't kill me to get it, I guess i'll just have to live a week without going out to the bars or whatever lol
                    Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

The 20ft lbs torque diff is the reason why they have the same oe clutch. Hp isent really going to bother the clutch the torque is.
                      92 CB7 F22 5 speed.

^MY RIDE THREAD^

Comment

I'm running competition stg2. Have been since I got the H in and boosted it. Its pretty comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                        X