remove pitting from oem dull alloy type rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
    It is usually pretty obvious if the clear is still there or not. Any of the techniques above will pretty much require you to sand off/through the clear coat to be able to clean up the aluminum. Once you have them cleaned up, you could potentially find a local powder coater to do them in clear, or get some clear wheel paint to try to preserve the finish.
    What you think about using a 3 inch polisher on them. Was going to use that to sand them with also. Then use same polisher to make my paint shine. I got the 6 spoked ex wheels.

Comment

Use whatever works. Here is a another post describing how I cleaned up a set of 12 spokes: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189546
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        Use whatever works. Here is a another post describing how I cleaned up a set of 12 spokes: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189546
        Am doing first rim today. How are the rims orignially done oem. As there is something definitely underneath. A clear coat or paint. I think a silverish paint is done on some. After putting some stripper on i see this stuff coming off on the parts where the valve stem is. The outer flat part had a clear coat on it. All that sanding and all i was doing was sanding paint and clear coat i think.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
          Am doing first rim today. How are the rims orignially done oem. As there is something definitely underneath. A clear coat or paint. I think a silverish paint is done on some. After putting some stripper on i see this stuff coming off on the parts where the valve stem is. The outer flat part had a clear coat on it. All that sanding and all i was doing was sanding paint and clear coat i think.
          There is silver paint between the spokes, and clearcoat across the face.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            There is silver paint between the spokes, and clearcoat across the face.
            THanks. That what it looks like. The paint stripper i got has a very hard time in getting that silver paint off. I need to go find some aircraft paint stripper i think. The clear coat am not sure if is still there or gone.Maybe the past sanding has removed most of it cause i see nothing like a clear coat coming up.

Comment

On the ones I did myself, I left the paint alone (other than cleaning as best I could) and only dealt with the face/rim of the wheel. If you strip the silver, you'll have to either repaint or make sure you get it all off (working between the spokes can be a pain). That's partly why I paid to have a set redone for Ruby when I did the quarter panels and full paint job - I wanted the wheels to look like new.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I guess i am redoing all the silver. As first rim i stripped it off. IF i would of really known from start i think i would of left it alone also. First rim took me all day almost as i had to get other parts and so on. If i would of just stripped clear and paint i think i could of just polished it and not have to sand much if at all. Stuff looked so good underneath. I have a question. I am polishing with a black and then white rouge. Then i plan putting meguiars aluminum and mag polish. No clear coat. What you think?

Comment

Plan on repeating at least the Meguiars occassionally.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-09-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Is the clear coat worth it. AS cleaning these rims to a shine isn't that hard once u have the paint and clear coat off. That was my thinking. Even though a clear would shine more. Am also wondering if there is anything put on inside of rims. I see that silver paint was also put on edge of rims it seems. IS there a clear i have to get off the inside.

Comment

Up to you. From the factory, I don't think there is anything on the back of the wheels. That was one of the advantages of the ones I had professionally refinished; they powder coated not only between the spokes, but the whole back and outside diameter of the wheel. It is amazing how clean they stay I think because the surface is now smooth instead of being as machined from the factory. The ones on Ruby are now 7 years and about 70,000 miles since being done and they still look pretty good front and back with minimal cleaning.
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

i AM actually glad i stripped the silver off. The polished aluminum finish looks better i think. Have learned alot from this. 1.5 rims to go. First 2 took me a while cause learning experience. That megauirs for mag adn aluminum is awesome. I didn't realize how it works till after. It is like a mini abrasive polishing compound. Awesome stuff. Should of just stripped clear and paint to begin with. Then i could of just polished to make look new.

Comment

Pictures!

Comment

I tried to figure out how to post pics for 20 minutes. I don't see anywhere to add attachment. Tried following your guide and i can't upload from remote site. Suggestions. I see now that i am not allowed to post attachments.
                            Last edited by zedjr10; 06-16-2019, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Go the the Imgur website, create an account, and upload your pics. Once you do, each pic will have links on the right side to copy/paste into your text here. One of these is called BBC code for message boards and forums.

Copy the BBC code for message boards and forums. Paste it where you want your photo to show up in your post. The trick is you have to alter the links with a lower-case "L" right at the end of the file name right before the period in the file name, otherwise the pictures show up huge on the webpage.

You can quote one of my posts above and look at the code for my pics to get a better idea of what yours needs to look like.
                              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                                Go the the Imgur website, create an account, and upload your pics. Once you do, each pic will have links on the right side to copy/paste into your text here. One of these is called BBC code for message boards and forums.

Copy the BBC code for message boards and forums. Paste it where you want your photo to show up in your post. The trick is you have to alter the links with a lower-case "L" right at the end of the file name right before the period in the file name, otherwise the pictures show up huge on the webpage.

You can quote one of my posts above and look at the code for my pics to get a better idea of what yours needs to look like.
                                thats depressing. So much work it seems, lol. Is that meguiar's polishing ball for a drill worth it i wonder.It is 20 bucks. My rims look pretty good now but more shine is always better.

Comment

Working...
                                X