Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Continuous Problems-Fuel System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuous Problems-Fuel System?

I've had an ongoing problem since September of last year. Here's the story, if you have any ideas let me know, I'm about ready to gut anything related to the fuel system and start over.

Setup-
    Walbro 255
    RC 750cc
    AEM Rail and Regulator
    -6AN lines from the pump to the rail
    Inline -6AN filter

I got the car on the road last summer at the end of July, built, boosted and tuned, making the numbers in my signature. About a month goes by, I'm at the dragstrip and the car turns off right before my run, no fuel.

So I get the car towed home, me and a buddy test the main relay, its good, I put him in the trunk with a test light, turn the key and he sais we have power, so the pump is bad, right? Wrong, he probed the sending unit wire. We don't figure this out for a long time.
    We replace the pump with another walbro, and somehow, while putting the pump assembly back in the tank the filter comes off, leaving the pump un-filtered. As we get it all together, we test it, nothing. So I get in the trunk and test the wires, no power to the pump. (This is where we learn the mistake of my friend who tested it the first time). So from there I get an old ecu and swap it, pump comes to life. My ecu was bad the whole time. So I swap my chip into the other ecu and the car runs great, except I start running out of gas at 1/4 tank. So I park the car and come back to it later, drop the tank and find two things, the filter is gone, and the hose inside the tank has starting coming apart. Theres shit floating all over in the tank from the hose at this point. So we rinse the tank out about a hundred times (Or so it seems), find the filter and get it out. Replaced the hose and filter, made sure nothing was coming apart and put it all back together. Test driving the car it runs like shit, lean as could be, not getting anywhere enough fuel and detonating.
    So we pull the fuel filter, rail, regulator, injectors etc. The filter is completely clogged, it's a cleanable filter so I clean the hell out of it, the rail and lines, clean the injectors as much as I can and put it all back together. Still runs like shit, lean and detonating.

This is where the car sits as of right now. I'm not sure if the debris going through the pump ruined it, maybe the injectors are clogged, I have no idea and am tired of taking the tank out of the car....

Anybody know of a way to test this shit out without just replacing it?

I know I can send the injectors out to be cleaned, but I feel like the pump is messed up, but is there a way to test it? I have a fuel pressure guage on it, and it makes good pressure, but I'm thinking that somehow it can't keep up with the volume it needs.
    Like a garden hose barely turned on, if you kink it it will build up pressure, but open it up and al of sudden theres no water.

Just looking for some feedback and ideas before I spend more money.

L8r all
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

hey brady!

maybe when the 2nd time putting the pump in (when the filter fell) something went to the lines and clogged the stock hard lines.

See if you can maybe get a bucket of some sort. Have the pump in that bucket with gas of course. See if it sends enough gas to your injectors.

If anything since your built and boosted. I would suggest a custom Stainless Steel line from the pump to your fuel rail. My friend did this to his civic and he spent about $90.

good luck!

Comment

I already have braided lines from front to back, and we primed the pump several times into a cup and all seemed fine. My thing is with some restriction on the pump, maybe the rotors inside the pump were damaged by the debris and it can't provide the volume and pressure now.

I really don't know, it doesn't make much sense to me.

L8r
      01-01-2019

Comment

maybe you could try and put the old pump back on? later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

How confident are you of the injectors being clean? I would remove and replace the tiny filters in them with new or clean them very well. Also, inspect the original filters in them, for any holes blown through the screens (then you have possibly bad injectors).

Did you clean the fuel rail, inspect fuel pressure regulator as well? Or atleast remove the line to the fuel rail and the return from fuel psi regulator, run water or fuel through it to make sure it flows well?
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Everything has been taken apart and claned as best I can. I sent the injectors out to be cleaned, flowed and balanced so we'll see what comes back from them.

I'm going to switch back to the old walbro and try it again. I was talking to the guy who does my injectors (www.codymotorsports.com) He's local to me and he has had alot of customers with bad walbro pumps, and sent me to this link http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...o-failure.html

interesting stuff, fake walbro's....

I'll keep you guys posted, and keep the ideas coming...

I read the plugs today as well, all cylinders lean, so I'm thinking it may be the pump, odds of all injectors being bad seems unlikely to me.

L8r
            01-01-2019

Comment

what filter are you using for the sock filter on the pump?

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
              member ride thread
              11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
              People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
              I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
              John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

The one that came with th Walbro pump.

The article I posted above talks about fake walbros flooding the market, so I'm going to put my 4 year old walbro back in this weekend and give it another try, I think the new one was a fake.....
                01-01-2019

Comment

i had issues wiuth my walbro at first because the filter that came with the pump kept getting pushed up and causing starvation problems. i replaced mine with an oem filter and works perfect now.

member ride thread
                  DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                  I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                  John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Does your 255 walbro make a hum when you have the car running. My "walbro 255" dosent and I was told that they are normally audible. I also am having another fueling issue, my afrs are just so inconsistent its ridiculous. I think the pump I have is fake.
                    spin city

Comment

yes mine makes a hum when being primed as well as when running.

member ride thread
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

use a multimeter when testing voltage because you wont know if you are getting CORRECT voltage instead of just plain voltage.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Hope you figured this out brady

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                            yes mine makes a hum when being primed as well as when running.
                            I have an authentic Walbro 255 lph, it is definitely audible when priming (key position II) or when in "RUN"/driving mode. It works flawlessly so far (400 miles).

I too agree that if all cylinders are running lean, I would suspect the fuel pump of fuel filter clogged. It would take a lot of debris to clogg the filter though, never seen it happen yet.

I think Brady is on the right track with these fake Walbros, I heard about that too when I was purchasing mine. I know authentic ones are $100.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                              i had issues wiuth my walbro at first because the filter that came with the pump kept getting pushed up and causing starvation problems. i replaced mine with an oem filter and works perfect now.
                              Did you use both plastic adapters that came with it before installing the filter? That is what I did, haven't had any issues so far (400 miles). Starts up great everytime, less cranks than stock actually (mostly due to 12:1 compression, but ignition & fuel are in check as well).

Comment

Working...
                              X