Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Cam upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam upgrade?

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put a cam in my car, from what I've read up that seems like the best next step to making some more power.

I don't know what kind of cam I would want/need, I'm just running a H23 intake, and exhaust. I kinda want a bit of a lopey idle, just a boyish desire I have. (I friggin love how this sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RNUJF94Vo)

Along with a cam, I'm most likely going to need valve springs, fuel upgrades (no clue what I would need for that), and an tunable ECU (a tune too obviously).

I eventually want to go turbo, doing some N/A upgrades would be good to do first right? Plus I'll need fuel upgrades and a tunable ECU if I go turbo anyways. Would love some opinions on this!
    I'm faster then a prius

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put a cam in my car, from what I've read up that seems like the best next step to making some more power.

I don't know what kind of cam I would want/need, I'm just running a H23 intake, and exhaust. I kinda want a bit of a lopey idle, just a boyish desire I have. (I friggin love how this sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RNUJF94Vo)

Along with a cam, I'm most likely going to need valve springs, fuel upgrades (no clue what I would need for that), and an tunable ECU (a tune too obviously).

I eventually want to go turbo, doing some N/A upgrades would be good to do first right? Plus I'll need fuel upgrades and a tunable ECU if I go turbo anyways. Would love some opinions on this!
    I usually advise to hold on for a turbo cam once you actually do it because the specs used for N/A and Forced induction are a bit different, there are people however that use Delta 272 cam in both applications with good results.
    Think of cam and compression as working out; bulking up requires higher intake and more weight while slimming down requires the opposite and while a compromise can be found you will not achieve the best of either one. Spend wisely and spend only once.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Make a realistic goals, and buy everything you need to meet said goal before you install parts. BUT! Your car, money, and time. Do what you do!

A 272 is okay for boost, everybody uses a Walbro 255, and ask your local tuners what PCM/software they're most comfortable working with.

Jdm92_accorn's car wins the loopy idle contest btw.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iNGTg1LJn1I

Comment

I'm wondering how much I'd making with a "turbo cam", and an eBay turbo on 5psi, with adequate fuel and a good tune.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

NA canshafts benefit from utilizing valve overlap. Valve overlap is no good for turbo.
          Yes, people do it. No, it's not ideal.

Rather than ask people to tell you what camshaft to buy, do a little research on cam profiles and valve timing. Understand the concept behind a camdhaft design, and you'll know for yourself what you need.
          Delta, WEB, and possibly Gude have cams available for the f22a. Custom profiles are an option for people that know enough to specify what they actually need.

Comment

Hmmm,

Valve overlap on a turbo motor isn't a bad thing at all. If you want to build boost faster, you'll tighten up heoverlap, sure. If you want an agggressive power band through 10k rpm, you'll need overlap.

Less overlap creates more pressure before the turbine housing, and at a given point, becomes the choke in the "Flow"

Really just depends on what you are doing if you want overlap or not.

Autox, I'd run a twin scroll manifold with little to no overlap.

Dyno queen/straight line racer, overlap all the way.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Mm.. I think it all depends on what size turbo you run.

Everything has to be matched accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                Mm.. I think it all depends on what size turbo you run.

Everything has to be matched accordingly.
                Right. I want to plan everything out, not just throw it together and hope for the best.

I don't know what size turbo I want for this thing?
                (I am planning on a "eBay turbo", seems like a t3/t4 hybrid was popular)

From my very simple understanding of turbo systems in general, I would want a turbo small enough to spool quickly, but big enough to make power at higher rpms.
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

The stock cam can do 300 ish hp. How much are you looking for? The F has great midrange power, but sucks on the low and high ends with the stock cam, compared to its VTEC cousins.

Look at some t3/t4 setups on here.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Well with stock pistons I don't want to push too far... I would like 225-250hp.

But when I go forged pistons, I want to make 350-400.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Gtron, i would suggest you hold off and do everything 1 time instead of spending $5-600 on an eBay Turbo that may or may not work by the time you upgrade internals. A cheap Turbo for up to 400whp would be a Holset Hy35 that you can buy for under $200 and are reliable not to mention cheap to rebuild. I am absolutely nobody to tell you how to spend your money but spend wise and spend only once. I would use eBay piping, oil lines and maybe rods/pistons but not a cheap Turbo. Take the drivetrain into consideration as well since you will want an LSD differential, quality clutch to handle the power and upgraded shafts. I suppose you also have planned to upgrade your brakes and suspension for a turbo build too as the extra power will over power the stock setup on CB chassis.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

If you plan on boosting that stock engine, I hope you plan on building another on the side. Chances are the engine will be wrecked by the time the pistons give out. Your cylinder walls will probably get torn up when the ring lands fail.

I still don't know why you're going to bother wasting the time, energy, and money doing it twice when you don't have to. It's going to cost you a few hundred bucks at least to do it once, blow the engine (possibly other things), and do it again properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                          Gtron, i would suggest you hold off and do everything 1 time instead of spending $5-600 on an eBay Turbo that may or may not work by the time you upgrade internals. A cheap Turbo for up to 400whp would be a Holset Hy35 that you can buy for under $200 and are reliable not to mention cheap to rebuild. I am absolutely nobody to tell you how to spend your money but spend wise and spend only once. I would use eBay piping, oil lines and maybe rods/pistons but not a cheap Turbo. Take the drivetrain into consideration as well since you will want an LSD differential, quality clutch to handle the power and upgraded shafts. I suppose you also have planned to upgrade your brakes and suspension for a turbo build too as the extra power will over power the stock setup on CB chassis.
                          I will consider that! Sounds like you've done your research, keep the tips coming! I do want an LSD, something I'm eventually gonna have to do after this car is making power. I do somewhat have a suspension now, brakes definitely need an upgrade before I need a power upgrade...
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            If you plan on boosting that stock engine, I hope you plan on building another on the side. Chances are the engine will be wrecked by the time the pistons give out. Your cylinder walls will probably get torn up when the ring lands fail.

I still don't know why you're going to bother wasting the time, energy, and money doing it twice when you don't have to. It's going to cost you a few hundred bucks at least to do it once, blow the engine (possibly other things), and do it again properly.
                            I do plan on building a block on the side, if/when the stock block blows up I'll just swap in the built block. I don't plan on being dumb running 10psi+ on stock internals, I'd like to run 5 maybe 8 psi.
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

"psi" means pretty much nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X