Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
    im skeptical of how well the bondo will stick (it's been known to "crack" away from even body metal that just barely flexes - what about a lip that often touches the ground?) but overall the idea and the combined shape are looking really good! Super creative project and I am very much looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

FYI apparently 3M makes a 2-part ABS plastic-weld adhesive. It's expensive, and requires a specific application gun, but I think that would be the permanent/proper way to fill the missing area on an ABS plastic panel (which the lips are). Starting with a more direct plastic weld like you did is definitely the way to make a sturdy base though! I doubt those two lips will separate at this point, just the finished surface may not hold up re: the bondo like i mentioned.

Very cool man, are you going to paint it black when youre done?
    I'm going to paint it black for sure when I'm done. I have the fear of slowly destroying the Bondo as well. As far as hitting it all the time, I've driving about 500 miles now with it on and all over town. I've only scrapped it the one time and on the bottom edge. We will all see how it fairs over time with the road abuse. I have no worries about the lips coming apart at this point though, that weld is super strong. I pulled on it and flexed it as much as I could with how's it bolted on.

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
    Where did you purchase your circuit breaker from?
    I got my circuit breaker from eBay. The particular one I wanted was out of stock at many other online retailers.

T-Spec V12-CBF180

That is what I purchased, and it seems like it should do the job great.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Last night I got the car running on the initial base map. I didn't drive it at all. Just warmed it up, and data logged for about 20 minutes. It's currently running a bit rich right now. I've sent in the logs, just waiting to see how things go.

In other news with Lola.

T-Spec Circuit Breaker 1

T-Spec Circuit Breaker 2

T-Spec Circuit Breaker 3

T-Spec Circuit Breaker 4

Passenger Side OEM Double Lip 1

Passenger Side OEM Double Lip 2

Passenger Side OEM Double Lip 3

Maybe tonight I'll apply another layer of Bondo to clean up the last few imperfections on each side. Not sure though.

Comment

Great work so far with the lip! It's really coming together! What's your plan for paint? Black or body matched?
        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
          Great work so far with the lip! It's really coming together! What's your plan for paint? Black or body matched?
          I think I'm going to go with black for the time being. It will allow me to make sure I get the paint setup and such correct for this lip. Then maybe I'll swap it over to paint matched. There are a few other things I want to add to the car as far as aesthetics before I would paint match everything though.

Comment

A few minor updates. I've been trying to wrap up projects all over the house and outside in preparation for winter. So most progress on Lola has been on hold other than tuning on a lot of evenings. I've almost finished the OEM double lip. I have a little more sanding to do on that, and I think it's ready for paint. It has a few dead bugs on it currently. Once it's wrapped up I'll take some more pictures of it.

In other news for Lola.

I brought this home from Spokane. While not the best of quality it's going to work for what I'm going to use it for. These things are so stupid expensive.

1999 Acura CL Dark Grey Front Seat Belts (I wanted the carpet as well. Since we have found out it can work in our Accords. But it very so dirty and covered in 3 windows of broken glass, so I passed on it for now.)

Also I'm still trying to find a grey interior '92-'93 EX coupe, to get the upper half. I really don't want the tan interior, I'd rather have a black/grey setup.

Comment

Car is looking great brother!!

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Alex13mod View Post
                Car is looking great brother!!
                Thanks man! I'm looking forward to seeing what all that you have done to your car!

Comment

I've finally finished sanding on the OEM double lip. There is one spot on the passenger side at the end of the lip where I need to add a touch of Bondo. Only I can't do this until I remove the lip from the car. I'll take care of this little spot once it's off, should only take a dab of Bondo and maybe 5-10 mins of sanding tops. Otherwise this thing is finally ready to come off the car.

OEM Double Lip 1

OEM Double Lip 2

OEM Double Lip 3

OEM Double Lip 4

OEM Double Lip 5

OEM Double Lip 6

I think this weekend I might try and actually start the painting process on this bad boy. Also I'm going to build 2 more sets of the hardware studs. It's going to have one of the studs in every location the OEM lip had it. Right now I skipped 2 spots, but it would stiffen it up a bit more.

Comment

This weekend I managed to actually paint the lip.

I used the following process.

- Wash with soapy water, rinse and dry.
                    - 3 coats of adhesion promoter / primer.
                    - 4 coats of bumper trim paint
                    - Wet sanded with 600 grit, after drying over night.
                    - 3 coats of bumper trim paint (sprayed slightly different to avoid over spray this time).

OEM Double Lip 1

OEM Double Lip 2

OEM Double Lip 3

OEM Double Lip 4

I'm very happy with how it has turned out overall (so far). Time will tell how it holds up over time, since we all know it has the infamous Bondo in it.
                    Last edited by Rilas; 10-23-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I stayed home from work today, I somehow messed up my shoulder pretty good yesterday. Well I was feeling a bit better so I poked at Lola a little bit. The goal was to remove the play from the steering wheel. After a few different lines of thinking, I finally added 4 6mm flat washers, 2 at each end of the large shaft in the housing attached to the rack. This eliminated all play from the steering wheel. I went for a drive about 50 miles round trip and it was absolutely fantastic to drive as compared to before!
                      Last edited by Rilas; 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Hmm I am trying to picture what you are talking about here, Will. Sorry I'm a visual man. Did you have to drop the rack to gain access to it? Lip looks great by the way, I hope the bondo holds up.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                          Thanks man! I'm looking forward to seeing what all that you have done to your car!

No Problem! i have to document all the work and start uploading.
                          Last edited by Alex13mod; 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Alex13mod View Post
                            No Problem! i have to document all the work and start uploading.
                            Looking forward to it!

Comment

Alright so update time!

Only this time it's not exactly what you guys might expect from me.....

I've spent my time the last week and a half or so working on my son's Halloween costume. Well here is the progress and some results so far.

Roughly 15 or so boxes got totally canabalized for this.

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 1

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 2

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 3

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 4

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 5

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 6

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 7

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 8

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 9

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 10

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 11

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 12

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 13

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 14

Generation 1 Optimus Prime Costume 15

I still have a few things to wrap up tonight. Going to add a few small flashlights to the top of the body section, add the windows, glue on the wheels to the boots, and add some velcro inside to attach the main body to his shirt. Maybe 15-20 minutes of work left. But otherwise it's mostly done. He is going to wear this again next year. I need to do some detail work and clean it up a bit more. I just didn't have the time to make all of this happen this year. Next year will be the real final version of this.

Comment

That costume is so cool! What did the end result look like?

Comment

Working...
                                X