Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best way to Bleed/Bleeding your Clutch Master Cylinder. (One Man Bleeding System)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced my slave today. The method I use to get pressure when the pedal is COMPLETELY dead is:
    1. Put tube onto bleeder screw into jar half filled with fluid
    2. Loosen bleeder screw
    3. By hand, press clutch fork to compress slave piston, then tighten bleeder.
    (It's important to crack the bleeder before pressing the piston or it's not gonna work) I do this maybe 5 times at the slave, then break out the 2x4 to pump and hold the pedal to finish bleeding

But I do like the idea of running the tube to the cmc, if I ever have to do it again i'll give that a try.
    short

Comment

Originally posted by short1 View Post
      I just replaced my slave today. The method I use to get pressure when the pedal is COMPLETELY dead is:
      1. Put tube onto bleeder screw into jar half filled with fluid
      2. Loosen bleeder screw
      3. By hand, press clutch fork to compress slave piston, then tighten bleeder.
      (It's important to crack the bleeder before pressing the piston or it's not gonna work) I do this maybe 5 times at the slave, then break out the 2x4 to pump and hold the pedal to finish bleeding

But I do like the idea of running the tube to the cmc, if I ever have to do it again i'll give that a try.
      short

Interesting. But why would it matter whether you compressed the hydraulics at the clutch fork or from the clutch master cylinder/clutch pedal? I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
        Interesting. But why would it matter whether you compressed the hydraulics at the clutch fork or from the clutch master cylinder/clutch pedal? I'm curious.
        The times i've done it the clutch pedal was completely dead. You could pull it up by hand but if you press it, it snaps to the floor. By building some pressure with the steps I used, the clutch pedal then has enough pressure to pump. I've done it this way 4 times now, and takes about 5 minutes by myself. The first time I gave up after about 2 hours of no pressure at the pedal. Until a friend came by and showed me this.
        short

Comment

Deevergote, i sent you a PM about this, but thought I'd repeat it here: if you have no bubbles when bleeding but you're not getting much pressure, you probably have a bad master cylinder that isn't leaking fluid/letting air in through a poor external seal or bleeder screw, but is not pumping fluid well because it has a faulty internal seal on the piston. (faulty internal as opposed to external seal.) You pump it several times and it gets some pressure in the line but can't do more than that because the seal won't hold pressure against the force at the clutch release fork.

I say this not because I'm very experienced in this (i'm not) but just as a logical conclusion from the described facts. Hope it is accurate/helps.

If you're concerned that the issue is actually the pushrod length, I'd first disconnect the pedal at the pushrod, then use a 2X4 to press the pushrod in and see if it shifts first. (do this with the car running and the front wheels up). Easier than full disassembly. If it shifts like that then adjusting the pushrod length would be helpful.

Keep in mind that the force required to stretch a spring (like the clutch release spring) is a basically linear function of the spring's strength, (if you stretch it twice as far, it takes twice the force) so if your pushrod adjustment is way off and the pushrod doens't go in much, it will feel like the system isn't "building" pressure because it doesn't need much pressure to only move that lever and spring a small amount.

YOu could also shove a 2x4 against the driver's seat and clutch pedal to floor the pedal (with the car off) and then go out front and see how far the slave cylinder pushrod and release fork have moved. since you have mentioned you usually work on it by yourself.
          Last edited by batever; 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

rubber tube and bottle full of fluid, i swear by it.
            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by short1 View Post
              The times i've done it the clutch pedal was completely dead. You could pull it up by hand but if you press it, it snaps to the floor. By building some pressure with the steps I used, the clutch pedal then has enough pressure to pump. I've done it this way 4 times now, and takes about 5 minutes by myself. The first time I gave up after about 2 hours of no pressure at the pedal. Until a friend came by and showed me this.
              short

I understand now.
              I didn't realize you couldn't use the 'dead" clutch pedal to build pressure but I could be wrong. I believe in the past i could just pull the floor pedal up by hand and then pump it down until pressure builds. But I could have a faulty memory! I'll rememer your trick if it ever seems necessary.

I think it also has to do with whether the CMC is totally evacuated of fluid like in a dead pedal scenio and whether the CMC is level to the ground. Normally a MC needs to be "bench bled" only because on a bench it can be held level and that supposedly affects the bleeding. If you can levelize the MC on the car by jacking it then you don't need to bench bleed it, you can do it on the car.

I have a lot of thoughts and questions about this but I'm at work now and should probably stop and do some!

Last edited by batever; 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                I understand now.
                I didn't realize you couldn't use the 'dead" clutch pedal to build pressure but I could be wrong. I believe in the past i could just pull the floor pedal up by hand and then pump it down until pressure builds. But I could have a faulty memory! I'll rememer your trick if it ever seems necessary.

I think it also has to do with whether the CMC is totally evacuated of fluid like in a dead pedal scenio and whether the CMC is level to the ground. Normally a MC needs to be "bench bled" only because on a bench it can be held level and that supposedly affects the bleeding. If you can levelize the MC on the car by jacking it then you don't need to bench bleed it, you can do it on the car.

I have a lot of thoughts and questions about this but I'm at work now and should probably stop and do some!

If the CMC is new with good seals and a new slave, the pressure will build itself when all the air is expelled. In my experience, the pedal was on the floor with totally no pressure at all (dead pedal). After hooking up the hose and did the whole procedure, I got pressure.

With CMC, I don't think you really need to bench bleed it and pump the slave to have that extra pressure. So yes, you can build pressure with a dead pedal if all parts are good and no leaks through the hydraulic line. I agree with batever that it might be the seals if no pressure is felt after replacing the CMC. Read some few other post from other forums that it does happen with a new CMC (lemon part).

In regards to the push rod from the CMC, even if it's not adjusted properly, you should get it to work and get that pressure. If not, then it's definitely a leak somewhere or a bad part.

Comment

the clutch master will not evacuate the line of all the air. hence why you are getting very little pressure. my experience is the air will stay in the higher sections of the piping especially where there are sharp bends. what i did was remove the diff. sections of piping and bleed and replace till i got to the slave. very very time consuming

Comment

This is all I do.
                    (minus the plastic attachment on the end of hose)

Hook the hose up to your slave, open it up and pump brake fluid in until your master cylinder fills up. Worked for me everytime. Plus it takes like less than 5 mins.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                    New people click here

Comment

Working...
                    X