Brake issues : no pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake issues : no pedal

As the title says, I'm having an issue with my brakes .... on my 1992 EX wagon, I have not started a MRT for this one yet.

Anyways, I got it and the brakes were shot, pedal to the floor , then it would grab. So i bought new pads for the front and back.

The back calipers would not compress with a c-clamp , some said that you thread them in with a large flat head screw driver(I didn't try this yet)? I put the new pads on and they didnt fit due to the caliper being out , so the old ones are back there still.

So I pressed the caliper pistons in the front back in , and installed the pads. I pressed the brake pedal about 20 times, without any pressure. So I tried bleeding the lines. And of course , the back right released some fluid , but would not pump any more out.

So , I went to the front right, and i bled the crap out of that line and the front driver line. Since the front lines are connected to the back , I figured they would be bled. Nope , no pressure still.

I ended up using a full bottle of fluid bleeding with no luck. So I went and bought a NEW , not re-manned master cylinder (1" bore). I bench bled it and put it on. Again , used a full bottle of fluid, with no luck . I even gravity bled all four wheels.

A friend suggested bleeding the ABS , So i did , I used 2 full bottles. There is no air in it either. Still no pressure. (pedal to the floor , and brakes don't grab)

I am lost as to what would be the issue
    Last edited by JFISHTHECREATOR; 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM.

Well lets start off simple since I saw nothing about you bench bleeding the mc you could try that. I'm not to familiar with the ABS systems on cb7's ill try to help a little more after work.

Comment

The ABS and normal braking system are normally isolated. My ABS modulator is completely empty, with no change or noticeable change in performance, however, my ABS system is disabled.

Yes, you do screw the rear calipers in to compress the piston.

Is your bleeding order correct? Do you see any leaking? Keep trying!

Edit: also, can you explain your bleeding process to help us visualize what you are doing?
      Last edited by sonikaccord; 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

This is the tool for compressing the rear caliper. I borrowed this from autozone. It can be threaded down with a huge flathead screwdriver.

As far as pressure, maybe a leak in a brake line (that's a lot of fluid)

Comment

Check the vacuum line/check valve for brake fluid too.

Bleed farthest from the master to the closest if you haven't already. Can you build up pressure at the pedal with the car off? Are the brakes hard all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
            Well lets start off simple since I saw nothing about you bench bleeding the mc you could try that. I'm not to familiar with the ABS systems on cb7's ill try to help a little more after work.
            I did bench bleed the MC

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              The ABS and normal braking system are normally isolated. My ABS modulator is completely empty, with no change or noticeable change in performance, however, my ABS system is disabled.

Yes, you do screw the rear calipers in to compress the piston.

Is your bleeding order correct? Do you see any leaking? Keep trying!

Edit: also, can you explain your bleeding process to help us visualize what you are doing?
              There are no leaks, I even marked the master cylinder and let it sit for a week , and level did not move.

right rear , left rear , right front , left front.

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

This is the tool for compressing the rear caliper. I borrowed this from autozone. It can be threaded down with a huge flathead screwdriver.

As far as pressure, maybe a leak in a brake line (that's a lot of fluid)
                I did not see any leaks , and the level in the reservoir did not drop. Thanks for the info on the calipers

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  Check the vacuum line/check valve for brake fluid too.

Bleed farthest from the master to the closest if you haven't already. Can you build up pressure at the pedal with the car off? Are the brakes hard all the time?
                  There wasn't any in the check valve. I bled correctly(the way you suggested).

And there is no pressure what so ever. And no , there is literally no pressure , pedal goes to the floor, vacuum booster would be culprit if it was hard.

Comment

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhgBE7SFwE

This is a video explaining the situation

Comment

Get a small flathead and carefully pry up on the caliper piston boots. Does fluid come out?

Edit: watched video. Check for vacuum leaks from the booster, man. You should be able to build up pressure with the car off.

Comment

watched video. Check for vacuum leaks from the booster, man. You should be able to build up pressure with the car off.
                        I turned the rear calipers in , put pads on , bled correctly once again , and still no pressure.... what are you referring to as a vacuum leak? i haven't found any..

Comment

Get a small flathead and carefully pry up on the caliper piston boots. Does fluid come out?

Edit: watched video. Check for vacuum leaks from the booster, man. You should be able to build up pressure with the car off.
                          smoke test?

Comment

i put the wheels back on , air cleaner on , all vacuum hoses on , battery in.

started, no pedal. e-brake, no pedal. rev, no pedal.

but i dared anyways. e-brake on, pressed foot until brake was on the floor , threw it in reverse. didn't move.

released e-brake, still didnt move. let off brake, started rolling slow, so i hit the brake again , and still no pressure.

builds no pressure while off.

took it down my street , pedal has no pressure , and it BARELY grabs. by barely , I mean at 10 mph , it took 40 feet with it floored to stop. On the way back up the street i took it up to about 25 mph then floored it , still no pressure and it grabbed the right front hard, hard enough to lock only that wheel up for about 5 feet.

I'm assuming that only the right front wheel is getting any pressure.

all wheels have been bled , new MC.

Comment

Sounds like you have a leak on the secondary system, which is Front left, Rear right. Check the modulator.

Also, you're bleeding the brakes in the wrong order. You should be bleeding them in circuits.

RL, FR; RR, FL.

So many people do it incorrectly.

Next, test the check valve.

Disconnect the vacuum line at the booster and start the car. It should idle correctly. If not, replace the check valve.

I am almost positive you have a leak somewhere.

Good luck with this.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
                              X