Bowling pin shift knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luis View Post
    sorry i took so long.. The photo shoot fell through so there were no pics available till now.. i like the feel of the shifter and like other people have stated: Its great that it sits so high..
    Glad that you're liking it. Looks good with the burgundy interior.

And for those that think they're too big and bulky, I'm trying out some new stuff and making them smaller. To get a idea of size, left is one just cut, right is the newer style and I can go smaller.

We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

digging the newer style.. can you make one that fits perfectly in the palm of the hand?

Comment

digging the newer style.. can you make one that fits perfectly in the palm of the hand?
        Depends on what you mean by that. To me the bigger ones fit my hand perfectly, but the smaller ones do feel good on the hand.

My For Sale Thread
        Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Did some work tonight. Really liking these smaller knobs and I hope you guys do too. They take a lot more work to make, but the end results are really looking nice. Here's a pic of (from left to right) a nearly finished "older" style, the "newer" style I shaped tonight, another smaller knob, and my old civic knob laid out for size comparison.

Last edited by dbales; 07-18-2012, 10:58 PM.

My For Sale Thread
          Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Very nice. I bet people will start buying these up, now that there is a wider selection. Personally, i prefer the larger ones that retain the bowling pin shape.

I love how mine looks. Im glad i got one of the first-run knobs. It's so obvious what it is, but people still ask,"Is that a bowling pin!?" and im like, "yeah.." and their like, "Nice..."

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

im loving the size of the V3.. Is there anyway you can add a colored finish to them?

Comment

im loving the size of the V3.. Is there anyway you can add a colored finish to them?
                By V3, you mean the third one in the pic?

And yeah I stain nearly all of them that I do. The two middle ones are just sanded smooth and haven't been stained or finished yet. Gonna be coming out with some new colors soon.

My For Sale Thread
                Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Originally posted by dbales View Post
                  By V3, you mean the third one in the pic?

And yeah I stain nearly all of them that I do. The two middle ones are just sanded smooth and haven't been stained or finished yet. Gonna be coming out with some new colors soon.
                  yea i called it V3 because its the third version of the knob you have coem up with.. i might be interested in the V3 knob if you can post pics of different color finishes you can provide

Comment

New pics guys.

Dark Maple Satin "Skinny boy" knob

Red Mahogany Gloss "Fat boy" knob

Natural Burnt Gloss "Fat boy" knob

More Skinny boy knobs in the works, as well as some new "Tall boy" knobs, so be on the lookout.

Thanks for looking!

My For Sale Thread
                    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Interesting concept you came up with. I like it. Personally I like the 2nd one from the left the best (in the line up of all the different sizes).

Click picture to see my mrt
                      Instagram: sikz6

Comment

Suggestion for fabrication;

use different color stains to accent the wood grain.

I make lots of stuff out of fancy wood by hand-as a hobby. Grandfather clocks, mantel clocks, tabels, chess boards, cutting boards etc..

Using a cloth and some darker stain to bring out the depth of the grain does amazing things to the detail and you can really get creative with this paired with different types of wood and lacquer's. I probably use 4-5 different colors of stain in 1 project. Close and similar go well together, but a little darker brings out the wood grain and it looks awesome when done correctly.

Try it on scrap board and see what you think.

I dig the shifter, good shit man
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          Suggestion for fabrication;

use different color stains to accent the wood grain.

I make lots of stuff out of fancy wood by hand-as a hobby. Grandfather clocks, mantel clocks, tabels, chess boards, cutting boards etc..

Using a cloth and some darker stain to bring out the depth of the grain does amazing things to the detail and you can really get creative with this paired with different types of wood and lacquer's. I probably use 4-5 different colors of stain in 1 project. Close and similar go well together, but a little darker brings out the wood grain and it looks awesome when done correctly.

Try it on scrap board and see what you think.

I dig the shifter, good shit man
                          What do you mean by darker stains? The red mahogany ones are one of the darker stains they make. What type/brand of stains do you use?

I use the same type of wood, maple, because they're already closely in the desired shape and I don't have a lathe, though getting one is HIGH on my list.

I'll take any suggestions anyone's willing to give.
                          Last edited by dbales; 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM.

My For Sale Thread
                          Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                            Maybe countersink the threaded aread of the knob so it sits farther down on the shifter?

Looks good, I think its a bit tall though.
                            This has stuck with me since I read it. So I did something about it. Enjoy.

Red Mahogany Gloss finish. This is one of my more "unique" knobs because of the natural crack down the side.

Natural Burnt Gloss finish.

Thanks for looking!

My For Sale Thread
                            Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

I Just Orderd Mine Ppls Cant Wait!
                              Last edited by 92a6; 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM.
                              MRTvvv
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

I'll be taking a break from these until I get a lathe to turn them on. With work and trying to get into another job, they take quite a while to make. When I start churning them out again, look forward to a lot better styles.

My For Sale Thread
                                Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Working...
                                X