Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice from our Houston members.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice from our Houston members.

My original plan was to move to Arizona, but things took a turn for me. My mother in law has advanced cancer, and they regularly make a trip to Houston for treatment at MD Anderson.

The wife and myself are looking to spend around 150k for a house that can accommodate the moms, and us of course in the Houston area.

I'm wondering what are the best areas to look in for my price range, and what areas to completely avoid - like high crime areas and such. This will be my first house and I really don't want to mess up a large investment like this.

I don't intend to be morbid or pessimistic, but if she has advanced cancer, have they given her a time frame? If you don't intend to stay in Houston permanently, consider renting until you know if the treatment is effective or not. This would make it easier to move on to Arizona when the time comes.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Well it's a treatment for the rest of your life type deal. The treatment has stabilized it, so it would be a permanent solution as she has years left. I would love to rent, but we have quite a few animals, and that turned the renters off. Honestly I've grown to like Houston from the times I've been. And the work is there for all of us to make decent money.
      Last edited by F22Chris; 06-11-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Missouri city near sugarland has a lower crime rate than some of the most prestigious areas of Houston, I placed 5 offers there but market is extremely competitive; I live in Spring TX just north of Hobby international now; small town feeling and also a low crime rate. Pearland is growing at an alarming rate it was even considered the fastest growing city in the US a couple years ago which is causing market to rise. If you have any questions feel free to contact me as I can keep on going on here.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

PM'd. Thanks man!

Comment

At that price range I would suggest the Willow bend neighborhood. The houses are a little older and small, but they mostly have decent yards with lots of trees. Look at street view on Google Maps to see what I mean. Geographically, the neighborhood is also very well positioned for most anywhere inside the loop. S. Post Oak gives​ you almost immediate access to the 610 loop, and you are extremely close to the South part of Main St. which is a direct shot into the medical center. There is a Wal-Mart with neighborhood access and other grocery stores close enough to hit with a rock.

The downsides to the neighborhood are that some houses are showing their age. Also, the sidewalks, while EVERYWHERE, have seen better days. Still a nice neighborhood feel where you could stroll with the family after work. Many of the people in that area have been there over 20 years.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Awesome. Thank you Jarrett. I'll look into Willow Bend and South Post Oak as well.

Comment

I might sound extremely biased suggesting areas that I look at myself but I have lived in Houston for close to 20 years now 17 of those around the S post oak area and there is a reason why; willowbend has two downsides Stella link to one end and the fondren area towards the other. All the people I grew up with are moving to the outskirts; spring, humble tomball, cypress, Katy, Richmond, Missouri city, arcola, pearland etc and when you ask any one of us safety was the main concern as none of us wanted our potential kids to grow up anywhere we did. Willowbend also has one problem in my book, it's too close to Meyerland which means flooding, higher taxes/property values while still being in SW Houston which is probably the highest crime rate areas. As of right now and even 3 years ago there is nowhere within the Beltway that you could pay me to live within and god knows the city has been offering incentives to try and get people to buy in certain areas.

Comment

I've found a few homes in Missouri City that I'm going to look at at the beginning of July. A few four bed two baths with two car garages and plenty of yard space for my dogs.

I'm getting anxious in a good way. I like Atlanta a little, but a fresh start with my family is exciting.

Actually, I can't wait to get away from the pretentious little five points culture. Imagine a place where everybody's mustache is curled, they all drive old volvos, wear tight pants and sweater vests in the summer, and live off coffee and PBR. It's that or their homeless.. sorry to rant.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    I've found a few homes in Missouri City that I'm going to look at at the beginning of July. A few four bed two baths with two car garages and plenty of yard space for my dogs.

I'm getting anxious in a good way. I like Atlanta a little, but a fresh start with my family is exciting.

Actually, I can't wait to get away from the pretentious little five points culture. Imagine a place where everybody's mustache is curled, they all drive old volvos, wear tight pants and sweater vests in the summer, and live off coffee and PBR. It's that or their homeless.. sorry to rant.
                    can you send me the exact area in Mo city?

Comment

It'll be a bummer to see you go. I don't know much about Houston. I do have friends who moved to Dallas and LOVE it. I guess you're with the wrong crowd in atl? I don't know much about what you're into, but there's tons of different things here. (Ahem *DragonCon* for example) I'm honestly more aggravated at the yuppie fucks with their mcmansions who want me gone.

Comment

Got in touch with all the people I needed to for financial side of this. Now it just depends on the sale date of the property I live at now. Pearland is also a spot on my list. Will be in Texas in September or December. Thanks everyone who offered your advice.

Comment

Working...
                        X