No announcement yet.

EXT: Custom Front Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey i have a 93 ex and i just bought a 90-91 grille to do my custom grille, is it going to look right on my 93?? my headlights are slightly angled right?? can anyone shed some light on this please

Comment

Originally posted by hampsternazi
      hey i have a 93 ex and i just bought a 90-91 grille to do my custom grille, is it going to look right on my 93?? my headlights are slightly angled right?? can anyone shed some light on this please
      check this thread
      i know this thread talks about bumpers but it involves grill fitment as well. a good pic between 90-91 grills and 92-93 grills are also illustrated. this is almost the same as your case, just reversed.

check this one out too
      one-pieces or not, the fitment is the same.

please use the search button next time .
      1cor10:31
      - 92 LX coupe
      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

ummmm, u say the fitment is the same, but in the threads u posted they say they are different, the 92-93 is angled. umm con..tra...diction..... anyway thanks for the reply, i did try and search but like 1000 posts came up and sorry but fuck that im a busy dude, watchin comedy central and stuff takes up way to much time to search j/k. thanks tho for responding, i did find out what i need to know, when i get my JDM one piece i should get the 90-91 right? so theyll match my DIY 90-91 grill, theres no bumper differences right? by then ill have my body kit anyway so it wont matter right?

Comment

I wrecked my front end of my 92 and am fixing the damage(hood, headlights, grill, right fender, bumper). I bought a factory replacement bumper, and two grills, one for a 90-91, and one for a 92-93. What I want to do is modify the 90-91 by cutting out the H area to make just a "surround" as a grill(as many others have done on this forum) with mesh painted black in the openening. I want to paint the grill "surround" white to match my car. I have ordered a carbon fiber hood, and the cheap "e-***" black-housing projector-style headlights.

My problem, as I see it, is that, there is a small lip that extends up about a half inch between where the headlights go, on the 92-93 bumper. I've compared both grills and measured, and the 90-91 grill is taller(or depending on how you look at it, extends lower) than the 92-93 grill. it also looks like the two clips that are on the back of the bottom of the grills are in different locations also(one being mounted slightly lower than the other). the top of the grill area where it mounts to the radiator support bracket is the same for both grills. So, it appears that the 90-91 grill will not mount directly to my 92 without some form of modification. Can anybody comform this?

If something has to be modified, what would be the best solution.......to grind off, and blend the half inch lip on the bumper between the headlights before the bumper gets painted(very much preffered to not have to do this), or to modify the grill by shaving off half an inch of the botton of the 90-91 grill, or mount it just as it is with no modifications?.......will it even mount up with no modifications? I can't see that the grill will stick out a little past the headlights as others have stated is the case. What about the fit of the e-*** projectors that I've ordered? Are the inside edges of the lights that are closest to the grill and a slight angle like the ones on the 92-93 accord? Or are they almost straight up and down like the 90-91 headlights? Will this affect the way either grill fits in?

These are all concerns that no one has clearly addressed in any of these DIY's. I want it to be as easy for my repair shop to be to so he doesn't screw something up. Would it be best to just give him the 92-93 grill to install, and then work on the grill after I get the car back?

I know what some people are thinking.......if I have both grills, why don't I just go out to the car and mount up the grills to check for fitment myself! Well, I can't do this as my front end is all smashed up and it's difficult to check how the fitment is on a car that has both headlights smashed in, and a hood that is buckled up(check the first page of my home page to see the damage).

Many thanks to those who read this long post, and many thanks for those who respond. Thank you very much.

D

Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

My Ride

Comment

I just did a 90-91 aftermarket OE style grille on my 92...cut out all insides and removed H area and about 1.5 inches of "frame" under H area....used the chrome trim ring to hold it together... the grille is not a perfect fit...I will try to put some pics up soon....thinkin about modifying the tabs on the radiator support for better fit...the headlamps I believe are the same 90-93, but I could be wrong(edit--I read further and found out lamps are different)...ideally, replacing the front bumper cover with the 90-91 would be best I think...as the problem is the spacing vertically between the hood and bumper on the 92-93...as someone stated, the 90-91 grille is taller and the some of the mounts are lower...
            Last edited by 92DXProject; 06-26-2005, 03:19 PM.
            Mike:
            92 Accord DX 4d 5sp-Odometer:212k 12/07/05
            Member's Ride Thread - SOLD 1/12/06
            02 WRX ,White, 5spd, wingless FTW! - SOLD
            05 Legacy GT Limited, Silver, 5spd - TRADED IN Legacy gallery
            93 Prelude Si, White, 5spd, stock (daily driver)
            06 WRX Wagon , White, 5spd, Cobb stg2 (daily drooler)

Comment

here's some photos of mine:

notice the top being pushed down (bowed) from the hood..not enough space

they all show the lamp curve difference pretty well

from the top

so I bent the mount tabs on the radiator support down a little, but the bowing is still present on the top...I've decided since my front bumper looks like ass anyway, I will replace it with a 90-91 EX cover....does anyone know if my 92 lamps and everything will fit right into the 91 cover?

sorry to jack this thread...
              Mike:

Comment

ur a bad bad boi for steeling the thread. but hey..... we're all hear to help each other right?
                anyways i did mine years ago.....i used the 90-91 like the above example on my 92. the 90-91 looks cleaner when its grilled up without the H. i just shaved the sides alittle to fit it properly. the chrome finish didn't matter because i paint it black. .

Comment

Originally posted by 92DXProject
                  here's some photos of mine:

notice the top being pushed down (bowed) from the hood..not enough space

they all show the lamp curve difference pretty well

from the top

so I bent the mount tabs on the radiator support down a little, but the bowing is still present on the top...I've decided since my front bumper looks like ass anyway, I will replace it with a 90-91 EX cover....does anyone know if my 92 lamps and everything will fit right into the 91 cover?

sorry to jack this thread...
                  No, the present (9293) bumper lenses will not fit into a 9091 bumper, the 9091s are shorter. Also it will look like ass because 9091 has a broader molding, and the rest of the car will not match, just do a DIY with the 9293 grill or modify the 9091 grill to fit better.
                  '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                  -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                  -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                  -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                  10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest
                    No, the present (9293) bumper lenses will not fit into a 9091 bumper, the 9091s are shorter. Also it will look like ass because 9091 has a broader molding, and the rest of the car will not match, just do a DIY with the 9293 grill or modify the 9091 grill to fit better.
                    thanks for the confirmation....yeah, I think I'm gonna take my dremel to that lip on the bumper under the grille and fit it that way....if it looks good, I'll attach a photo here later...

and my apologies again to the original poster for the threadjack...just trying to help folks out...
                    Mike:

Comment

thats a good write up and DIY. bueno trabajo amigo! i might have to try that, i am tired of mine.

Check Out My Car

Comment

i like it that u removed the honda eblem was that hard? id like to do that

edit: ok i just cut out all of the stuff in my grill including the honda emblm that was easy. next comes mesh
                        Last edited by John Conner18; 08-04-2005, 12:44 AM.
                        My Ride17.34 @ 78mph with 260k on her

Comment

Originally posted by accordtunerx
                          a pic of my DIY grill up close:

idk why i cant see peoples pictures it just shows up with a white box with a red X

Comment

man i wrote this thread back in da beginning back in oct 03 atx just put his touch on it ohhh the memories

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

ok so i went to a local hardware store to see if they had and gutter cover and they do but u have to buy the hole fuckin role for 8 bucks..!!!

Comment

ok i cut my grill so the honda emblem isnt there anymore and i meshed it last night and the trim is flat black....dam that looks cool i think next i meshing the bumper
                                My Ride17.34 @ 78mph with 260k on her

Comment

Working...
                                X