No announcement yet.

Rescuing Ruby, Extensive Quarter Panel Rust Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came out very good. Thanks for the detailed work you have done. And its nice to see I'm not the on one with a CB7 named Ruby.

Comment

super job on the cb. you have done better than the body shops where I live

Comment

Thanks. I might have to try it again on a smaller scale on my 93 EX sedan; the rust is starting to come through on the driver side and it appears to be spreading behind the temporary patch (2 years ago?) on the passenger side. Quote from the body shop that painted Ruby was $1700 to do it all on both sides.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-07-2016, 12:37 AM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Finally corrected a problem that started when I got rear ended. Ever since then, the trunk has been difficult to close and occasionally the "trunk open" warning on the dash would light up even with the trunk closed. Most times I would get out and close the trunk again and that would solve the problem. Recently, after leaving it sit for a few days while driving other vehicles, the battery (5 year old Die Hard Gold) would be dead. I charged it and checked leakage current at just 0.5 mA. This happened twice in a month until I realized that if the warning light on the dash was on that meant that the trunk light was also on; it didn't dawn on me that when the warning light on the dash went out when I pulled the key out, the trunk light stayed on. When I drove it every day, that was enough to keep up with the drain from the light (for those times that it didn't trip the switch), but when I'd leave it sit for a few days it drained the battery.

I replaced the latch/switch assembly and now it latches easily like it used to and the warning light doesn't come on any more. It looks like the old latch/switch was bent from the accident such that the switch didn't reliably trip.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post

I replaced the latch/switch assembly and now it latches easily like it used to and the warning light doesn't come on any more. It looks like the old latch/switch was bent from the accident such that the switch didn't reliably trip.
            Sometimes it's those pesky "easy" ones that git ya!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Man, this is better art that what people call modern art.

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
                Man, this is better art that what people call modern art.
                I agree.

Comment

Tough decision time, just a few miles shy of 386,000. Got underneath today to see where the exhaust was leaking - that is the least of my problems. Big hole in the frame box (right side), spring seat badly rusted (left side), quarters really bad again, maybe some above the rear cross member. It looks like mostly where I used adhesive in the wheel well arch that has really rusted, other places that I spot welded don't look too bad, even where undercoating has worn off. To repair or not to repair? I would really hate to give up on her.

20200629_181441 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr

20200629_185745 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr

20200629_190644 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

If there's ANYone who could do this ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Found a suitable replacement for you if you get tired of patching holes... at least there's no rust.

My Collection:
                      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                        Found a suitable replacement for you if you get tired of patching holes... at least there's no rust.

Says wrecked - how bad? That out west somewhere? Road trip!

Comment

Says wrecked - how bad? That out west somewhere? Road trip!
                          Actually "wrecked" is my description for it since it's sitting in a JY. It's out here in Phoenix. My friend Tyson sent me the pic while he was out "shopping." It's out on the west side of town.

I can inquire if your interested?
                          Last edited by hiptech; 06-30-2020, 08:59 PM.
                          My Collection:
                          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Yards (up here anyway) won't sell an entire shell because they've had to submit the titles to the state as a scrapped vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm not in a good position to come that far to get it either. If they would, I wonder what a shipper would charge to get it here (cost me $650 to get the wagon home from Galveston in 2016 after my daughter whacked a curb with the RF wheel).

Comment

It would be great if you could keep Ruby going. "Stinky" is still here and has just been sitting. Could be your first SE and has a clean title.

Yards (up here anyway) won't sell an entire shell because they've had to submit the titles to the state as a scrapped vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm not in a good position to come that far to get it either. If they would, I wonder what a shipper would charge to get it here (cost me $650 to get the wagon home from Galveston in 2016 after my daughter whacked a curb with the RF wheel).

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
                                It would be great if you could keep Ruby going. "Stinky" is still here and has just been sitting. Could be your first SE and has a clean title.
                                Would be my first SE sedan. Rescued a 93 SE coupe a couple years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X