6 1/2 vs. 6x9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, this is only kinda on topic.

I've often heard the analogy of never having the live band playing behind you. I understand that ideally the sound stage should come from in front of the listener.

But in terms of pure music enjoyment, I frequently question having a primarily front sound stage. I realize that in the pursuit of reproducing a live band its an absolute must. But when I find myself deep into whatever music I happen to be listening to (Joachim Spieth is a good example), I tent to want to be completely immersed in it. I usually regard the purely front sound stage of live concerts to be more of a limitation than something to be emulated.

I say this knowing that I haven't listened to 'professional' systems of any sort, so I'm really looking for somebody to tell me that I'm crazy and that front sound stage is t3h win.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Numbers or graphs to prove this?
      What's a "linear" speaker?

correct me if i'm wrong..
      i believe what Loafer987 was trying to say was if you were to compare how sound waves travel as to ripples in a pond. dropping a marble in that pond would create that perfect ripple and dropping lets say a brick in that same pond.. sure it would create ripples but not as perfect and/or clean as the ripples made by the marble..

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
        I say this knowing that I haven't listened to 'professional' systems of any sort, so I'm really looking for somebody to tell me that I'm crazy and that front sound stage is t3h win.

a THX certified movie theater would be more than enough to convince you..

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post
          correct me if i'm wrong..
          i believe what Loafer987 was trying to say was if you were to compare how sound waves travel as to ripples in a pond. dropping a marble in that pond would create that perfect ripple and dropping lets say a brick in that same pond.. sure it would create ripples but not as perfect and/or clean as the ripples made by the marble..
          Nice analogy but I think that has to do more with diffraction. The marble is smooth and round so the ripples emanating from are going to reflect(ha) the shape of the marble. If you rounded off the corners and sides of the brick it'll make a deeper (higher amplitude) and wider (lower frequency) ripple...I'm just talking right now but it sounds good lol.

The only real problem with 6x9's is that they beam at lower frequencies than 6.5's. That means that as the cone starts to play higher, the less sound is radiated and it starts to focus (like a flashligh "beam"). And of course the obvious stress points. I think I'm going to look for some numbers to back me up.

Honestly I don't think it matters if you're running full range off of hu power. I would pick 6x9's in that case. They only sound bad if you're pushing the power to them. I use bad very loosely here.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Just make sure you don't use the hu power to try and really pound your speakers. A clipped signal will wreck your 6x9s faster than a clean high watt signal.

Alpine Type S already has decent bass, not sure how much you have to gain by upgrading. Unless you wanna do more than just swapping the speakers.

Comment

Working...
            X