Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22 Vs. F20b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Vs. F20b

okay so my F22b died on me yesterday. now i'm looking to get a more powerful engine and it's between the H22a and the F20b. i don't have a lot of experience with honda engines, so i need your help. let me know your opinion and why?

about to get my hands dirty!

they are pretty much the same thing...as far as to what i know...

remember, the f20b vtec is OBD2
    and h22a (92-95 or 96 to) is OBD1...unless you get the type s 97-01 h22a or h22a4....

the f20b, you have to get the obd1 h22 or h23 dizzy, an OBD1 p13 and OBD1 h22 injectors for your f20b to work....

Comment

There's more preformace backing of the h22. Its your best bet man.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
        There's more preformace backing of the h22. Its your best bet man.
        Yea I'm been doing research and that's what it looks like, the f20b is cheaper that's why I gave it any thought!

Comment

Here's my old F20b setup. On all season tires, slipping clutch, blah blah. 2.3 sixty footer lulz. 192/154 on a poor tune. With sticky tires, would of been in the 13's fo sho. 14.3 @ 99mph with bolt ons.

Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

This has been covered numerous times. If you do some searching you'll find a LOT of results.

To sum it up, the F20B is a destroked H22A Type-S made so Honda could compete is a special racing class for 2.0L and under. Problem is F20B is OBD2 so wiring is different and it's not a direct swap. You have to change some things. H22A is more displacement and has A LOT more aftermarket support. I would go H22A hands down.

Keep in mind both engines use premium gas and a tranny swap I would HIGHLY recommend as your F22B tranny is not geared right for the higher revving H22A or F20B.
            Current:
            2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
            1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
            1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
              Here's my old F20b setup. On all season tires, slipping clutch, blah blah. 2.3 sixty footer lulz. 192/154 on a poor tune. With sticky tires, would of been in the 13's fo sho. 14.3 @ 99mph with bolt ons.

Yea but how much do u have in your motor? Money wise.

Comment

The F20B has iron sleeves, unlike the H22's FRM sleeves. Personally, I like the FRM, and I've never had oil-burning issues that people tend to associate with them. However, the F20B's iron sleeves are often seen as a positive thing.

The F20B is less common, so you can be "different"... however, it looks like an H22A to most people, and to people that know nothing about these cars, they wouldn't even know it doesn't belong in the CB7! So your "different" status is really among other Accord owners (who aren't all that impressed by it anymore), or among anyone you specifically tell what you have.

The F20B has a higher redline, so you get the fun of revving it to the moon. Of course, it's getting older, and high revs are very hard on an engine... so the older it gets, the greater risk that becomes.

Those are the benefits to the F20B... and even when listing them, I can't help but throw in some "buts"

The downsides are:

It ONLY comes in OBD2... therefore, you will need either a full OBD2 conversion to your car (not happening), a fully tuned ECU, or an H22's P13 (which won't run it properly, but good enough not to damage it.) The OBD2 swaps are a little more complicated than the OBD1 H22A swaps as well. Not bad, but an extra step or two.

It shares many things in common with the H22A, so some parts are easy to find. However, any parts that are F20B specific will be more difficult to find, since we never got that engine in the US. It is unlikely that you could go to Honda and order a part that is unique to the F20B. Now, I don't know which parts these are in particular, or if you'd ever even need to replace such a thing... but it's something to consider.

The F20B comes in two varieties... a 200hp manual version, and a 180hp automatic version. You really can't tell them apart (I believe the difference is in the cams... the manual version has H22A Type S cams, and the auto version has regular H22A cams.) So you'll have to trust whatever importer you buy from, or risk getting the lower powered one.

Honestly, performance-wise they're very VERY similar. The H22A is more well-rounded and more supported. That's what I would go with, personally. Just be sure you get a healthy one.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                  Yea but how much do u have in your motor? Money wise.
                  Not much at all. I/H/E, IM, TB....that's about it.
                  Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                  Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                  Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                  Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

thanks fellas, i'm going with the H. now i just have to find one and get it put in.

Comment

I know me too. I used to hate h swaps cause I could never find one and never have the funds. But I just got hold of a ligit blue top(just missin a piston.) For damn near nothin.

Comment

Base on my own experience I love the H22 for the lowend torque and the F20 for the high revs. I prefer the 2.2 for displacement.
                        Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I choose the f20b over h22 anyday.

I have a personal reason as to why. Honestly they are almost the same, and both can be built to the same power output as long as you have funds.

I'm doing something diff with the f20b I'll dyno against a h22 with the same mods and post up sheets when the time comes.

T hopefully things go well when you swap

Wait they will I'll be there lol
                          Last edited by Darkcloud; 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM.
                          NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                          DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
                            I goose the f20b over h22 anyday.

I have a personal reason as to why. Honestly they are almost the same, and both can be built to the same power output as long as you have funds.

I'm doing something diff with the f20b I'll dyno against a h22 with the same mods and post up sheets when the time comes.

T hopefully things go well when you swap

Wait they will I'll be there lol
                            yea man i can't wait to get the swap started Tuesday is payday so things should get moving very soon

Comment

I've road in both h22 swaped eg hb an a F20b eg coupe bolt on vs bolt on the F20b was faster not by much seemed to keep pulling as where the H didn't.H22 as said has good DD'able low end get up an go an honestly the F20b isn't far off, but still lacking a bit compared to an H.All an all if i had the money i'd go with the F20b, but like i an others have said they are a pretty close match.

02 Crv
                              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X