No announcement yet.

EXT: hood props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have always taken out a set using needle nose locking pliers but no everybody has them
    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

for those of you looking at salvage yards for hood shock. dont forget to look for cars,suv, etc that have rear hatches.

not sure what the lengths. but worth a try
      "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitclean View Post
        open end one?
        yeah, those.
        blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

I'm currently working on this with a set of first gen Legend props. Will update when I'm done.

Comment

Please do, Mikey! I've gotta find me a set real soon. This is one of the coolest mods IMO.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Update as promised. This took a little trial and error since I used the first gen 86-90 struts that are a little bit shorter.

The best way to make these work is to slip the mounting plate with 2 holes underneath your fender lip and then screw through the fender and mounting plate. It's secure and has no play.

This way, your hood sits completely flush when closed. I am very happy with the end result.

Don't mind the duct tape...covering some extra screw holes at the moment.

Last edited by crazymikey; 10-02-2011, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Glad I saw this. Finally made the decision to go with these. Good write up OP

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

In my previous post I used the 1st gen Legend struts. Way easier with the 2nd gen ones.

Comment

are the struts from sasy auto zone supposed to come with mounting brakets?

Comment

I don't think so. They have a bunch of struts at Princess Auto and I didn't see any with mounting brackets.

Comment

yeah bro they do come with the little bracket. I opened one that was previously opened and it didnt have chit. I open the next that is brand new and wala. I returned it and should have another one here in 4 days. oh well. cant wait for the mod tho.

Comment

I had to join the party. Though I didn't tap the holes, I didn't like how thin the metal was, so I drilled through with a 3\8 bit and used a jam nut. And after accidentally buying 90 struts first by accident, thinking about using them on the trunk. Tired of catching crap on the springs.

Last edited by Skulptr; 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

By "90 struts" you mean 1G Legend struts? Those will work too, I installed a set of those on my SE, on the top of this page.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                              By "90 struts" you mean 1G Legend struts? Those will work too, I installed a set of those on my SE, on the top of this page.
                              Yes I know, but I like how far the 2g travel, opening to almost completely vertical, makes things a lot easier to work on. But the design for the 1g struts make them a better contender for trunk mounting, and I.m gonna give it a try. Can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Skulptr View Post
                                Yes I know, but I like how far the 2g travel, opening to almost completely vertical, makes things a lot easier to work on. But the design for the 1g struts make them a better contender for trunk mounting, and I.m gonna give it a try. Can't hurt.
                                I'd like to see what you do with the trunk. I tried installing some struts for the trunk a little while ago. Gave up on the project til another day. Ideally I'd like to modify CD5 trunk hinge assemblies to fit, but that requires some serious fab work.

Comment

Working...
                                X