Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Interior lighting/electrical issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior lighting/electrical issue

A week ago I had removed the trim took out my cluster and replaced the oem tiny bulbs with led blue bulbs. After replacing a couple days later my needles on my clusters would out of nowhere go crazy would show all doors were open then would go back to normal about 5 min later but the oil light would blink. I'm thinking could be a stripped insulation issue or possible bad ground.... Wait it don't stop there. I replaced my dome light with the "best" dome light they show on carid.com when I did so it worked but it wasn't in all the way when I pushed it in all the way my fuse popped I replaced that bulb with the led from auto zone which I should have done in the first place and it works except... my dinger don't come on no more, my light around the ignition key hole don't come on, and the dome light don't come on when driver door is opened. But it does come on when all other doors open. I hope someone can help shed some light on me here because I don't know anything about electrical except stereos. Thanks yall for any help... oh my cruise don't work neither it will work out of no where when I play with it on the interstate, and from time to time my temp gage don't work.

LED lights take less current to power so your computer may just be confused and thinks there are no bulbs there. From what you have had happening, it sounds like a wire got pinched and is shorting out. Take everything back apart and make sure there aren't any bare wires touching where they shouldn't be.

Comment

I'll check it out tomorrow if it's nice out. How would I fix the signal to the computer? Un hook the battery? My ding noise and ignition light didn't act up until I put that dome light in.

Comment

Originally posted by H3ad tr9p View Post
        A week ago I had removed the trim took out my cluster and replaced the oem tiny bulbs with led blue bulbs. After replacing a couple days later my needles on my clusters would out of nowhere go crazy would show all doors were open then would go back to normal about 5 min later but the oil light would blink. I'm thinking could be a stripped insulation issue or possible bad ground.... Wait it don't stop there. I replaced my dome light with the "best" dome light they show on carid.com when I did so it worked but it wasn't in all the way when I pushed it in all the way my fuse popped I replaced that bulb with the led from auto zone which I should have done in the first place and it works except... my dinger don't come on no more, my light around the ignition key hole don't come on, and the dome light don't come on when driver door is opened. But it does come on when all other doors open. I hope someone can help shed some light on me here because I don't know anything about electrical except stereos. Thanks yall for any help... oh my cruise don't work neither it will work out of no where when I play with it on the interstate, and from time to time my temp gage don't work.
        Originally posted by H3ad tr9p View Post
        I'll check it out tomorrow if it's nice out. How would I fix the signal to the computer? Un hook the battery? My ding noise and ignition light didn't act up until I put that dome light in.
        Your computer is old, it isn't smart enough to detect those type of bulb changes. You're going to have to dig in and solve each problem one by one, especially behind the trim. Retrace your steps and double check everything. It won't be easy since you aren't electrically inclined, but we'll help you through it.

First thing is testing the gauge cluster. Take off the trim and shake the wires in that location. Observe strange activity if any. There is also a ground location related to the cluster, I don't remember it off-hand, but you can google it faster than I can post it.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Plan on doing that in the a.m now what about the dinging noise, round light around ignition, and dome light issue with driver door. Should I individually check each fuse I used one of those yellow fuse checkers but a buddy told me that a fuse could light up but be half blown how could I determine it's half blown and which fuse would it be I changed the interior light fuse

Comment

Could it be that I used a bad type of bulbs? If I install say some 74 bulbs from superbrite.com and undo my battery for 30 min would that reset my comp? But that still wouldn't explain my dome light issue however I haven't checked every fuse yet cuz I'm at work or un hooked the battery. Would that solve the dome light issue.

Comment

Obviously you'd want to eliminate any variables. i reckon you should just reinstall all the OEM bulbs first and see what happens. I'd suggest you Probably have a bad ground but just reinstall the standard bulbs first and see what happens. ive never ever had an issue installing LEDS into clusters besides hot spots and quick burnouts due to low quality ebay spec leds.
              sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Did you figure it out because I have the exact same problem after I installed my cd5 dome light

Comment

I had a similar issue with my car when I first got it, I had some bad fuses and a rusty door switch. I had to check my fuses with a multimeter to find the bad ones and cleaned the door switch after I read a repair diy on the forum.

Comment

after i installed some cheap HID and the HID burned out my cluster lights stop working.

so what could i do to get my cluster light working again?

Comment

Check your fuses

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                      X