No announcement yet.

Rescuing Ruby, Extensive Quarter Panel Rust Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used the jack from my van to push the back of the trunk compartment out. The latch is still a bit sticky, but the trunk lid now sits down where it is supposed to when closed.

Used a load strap to pull the bumper bracket back out.

I decided to stay with the 90-91 cover because I was able to straighten the bracket, the beams appear identical (I have several lying around), and the foam cushion survived the accident. Replacement remanufactured OEM rear cover is at Frank's being painted. Should have it back this week.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:41 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Damn all that money spent for some careless driver rear ends you.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

I would have felt like putting it in a glass bubble after all that restoration work!

Comment

Back in one piece again. I hope that's it for a while.

90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

That's awesome dude . That is a really nice ride you have built your self .
            this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
            How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
            Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

We need a :standing ovation: icon here ..

edit: I found something ..

Seriously man, so pure and perfect! Just awesome! Ruby should be AOM here .. soon!
              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

You sir have a beautiful stock car and should be acknowledged for your hard work and motivation.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Thank you. Future plans include rear disc swap. I already have an EX crossmember with sway bar (and EX sway bar up front), but the adjusting bolts for the lower control arms are frozen, luckily the alignment is still pretty good. I intend to rebuild (strip and paint or powder coat) the rear suspension from my wrecked 93 EX coupe, then swap it in and change the fuel tank as well; one of the strap bolt nuts stripped out of its bracket and you have to drop the crossmember to change the bracket.

It may be a while; I just got Silver (wife's 93 LX) back from the body shop for paint after front end repair. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197590 I have to install the rest of the front end.

Then I need to get the 92 coupe ready for sale. New windshield next week, still need a good trunk lid and two better tires.

Comment

Well, didn't get to the rear disc swap yet, but was smelling fuel from the rear - so it was time to change the tank. The old tank didn't look so good when I got it out; it was still running the original fuel pump.

Installed new tank strap brackets; requires dropping the crossmember. It wasn't as much trouble as I thought it would be.

New tank installed Saturday afternoon. I had replaced the main fuel line a few years ago, the other lines didn't look too bad. Brake line over the tank was rusty, knocked off the loose stuff and treated with "Extend" to neutralize the rust. Installation went well; no leaks or fuel smell when I filled it up. Recovered about 2 gallons of fuel from the old tank by powering the pump and squirting it into a can.

Comment

Best recovery vehicle on the board.
                      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

fleetw00d - love your work

You are real role model or any owner of classic and or ageing vehicle owner.

I must commend you on your patience and efforts.

What impresses me is your focus on repair, maintenance and not detracting from OEM quality fit and finish.

Almost ALL usually deviates and spend money on mods, speed, look at me show off items skipping out on the essentials.

You actually do what is needed first, thoroughly and properly.

I know not everyone has money but you are also one of the few that demonstrates understanding of boundaries of where DIY starts and stops (limitation of your own skill set and home equipment) and when to seek paid work rather than risking making a partly successful outcome or worse a mess of the job.

Well done!!

There is no hands clapping in the emoticons but if there was I would give you a few.
                        Last edited by JDMDriver; 11-05-2013, 02:35 AM.
                        Rides:

Accord
                        92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                        96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                        88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                        95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                        91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Wow I thought we did have that hands clapping icon in there. Can someone add that?

Is there a way to update the emoticon to add more? I'm sure there are more than this now on some forums (like the rolling around the floor icon).
                          Last edited by JDMDriver; 11-05-2013, 02:36 AM.
                          Rides:

Accord
                          92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                          96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                          95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                          91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

DOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! I'm an idiot! Got distracted pulling out of the driveway with another vehicle and brushed Ruby on the right side quarter. Really irritating that it was me that did it; my wife reminded me of my reaction when she wrecked hers (humble pie - see Saving Silver). Most of the damage to the other car was black rubbed off the bumper; most of it came off with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

The Ruby saga continues. I'll send a photo to a Paintless Dent Repair guy I've used in the past and probably run it by the shop that did the paint work and see what they have to say (except "IDIOT").

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry too see that , but having seen what you have done, Tis but a flesh wound .
                              CB7TUNER.com
                              Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                                I'm sorry too see that , but having seen what you have done, Tis but a flesh wound .
                                Oman, so true! And what's with Ruby always getting hurt? lol!
                                Gonna have to put her on the IR list for a bit till she's ready to get back in the game!
                                I agree with cb9love .. that'll just buff out ..

what an amazing thread!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X