Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tried to jump start...burning smell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to jump start...burning smell...

Okay, so I'm an idiot and left my headlights on all night. Friend came over and we tried to jump start the CB. When the jumpers were connected, could get it to turn over but not enough. I turned off the ignition, walked around, and started to smell burning from the passenger side by the dash. Immediately disconnected the jumpers and it went away. Ran down to Wal-Mart, got my free battery replacement, popped it in, car started right up.

Here are my problems (this is an automatic):

1)Shifter is locked, have to use key to unluck shifter.
    2)No power in D4, I think its trying to actually start in fourth gear.
    3)If I start in 1, then go to 2, then D3, then D4, transmission will shift.

Took it to an old shop I use to work at, they think the transmission has gone. I really think my TCU got fried due to the burning smell from the passenger side. Can anyone confirm or deny or had any problems like this before?
    God created turbo lag to give eight cylinders a chance.

i think you crossed your jump cable (positive on negative)

check the fuse first under the hood and under the driver dash

Comment

How come you don't unplug the tcm and open it up and just take a look to see if anythin looks fried.

Comment

No, didn't cross the jumpers, and the fuses were the first thing I checked under the hood and by the kick panel on the driver's side.

I'm not too comfortable ripping up my own carpet, I'd rather have someone with more experience than me do it.

Some Googling found me the same symptoms and point to the TCU. I was just trying to pick everyone's brain or if anyone had had this happen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronuss View Post

I'm not too comfortable ripping up my own carpet, I'd rather have someone with more experience than me do it.
          All you need for trim removal and carpet stuff is normal tools: usually just a phillips head screwdriver and either trim removal levers (made of nylon so they don't harm plastic trim pieces) or the super small sized pry bars at the hardware store (about 6" long), wrapped with masking or duct tape so they don't scratch or gouge plastic. Obviously, the trim removal tools are the better choice but both will work.
          Last edited by batever; 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Some Googling found me the same symptoms and point to the TCU. I was just trying to pick everyone's brain or if anyone had had this happen to them.
            If your tranny was fine before u tried to jump it then it is acting up then I would probably assume it is the TCU (which is located on the passenger side where u claim the burning smell was).
            Why would u have to rip up your carpeting? The TCU is located there on the passenger side on the floor below the glovebox, it will be next to the ECU. All u have to do is pull the carpet up over there, after you're done it goes all back into place. Nothing will be ripped or pulled apart, its designed that way for easy access.
            Originally posted by batever View Post
            All you need for trim removal and carpet stuff is normal tools: usually just a phillips head screwdriver and either trim removal levers (made of nylon so they don't harm plastic trim pieces) or the super small sized pry bars at the hardware store (about 6" long), wrapped with masking or duct tape so they don't scratch or gouge plastic. Obviously, the trim removal tools are the better choice but both will work.
            If u are referring to removing the carpet to expose the TCU then all this is unnecessary.

Comment

The trans was definitely fine before I killed my battery by leaving the headlights on. And, an electrical burning smell != to dying trans. I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my car from the shop I left it at as I don't get home until after it closes.

Comment

I had to replace the TCU in my ex-girlfriend's accord. It's pretty simple.
                If you can jump-start a car, you can change the TCU. I got mine at a junkyard for like 30 dollars, I think.
                Make sure you get the part from the same year. (I.E. 90-91 or 92-93)

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

Comment

Originally posted by cbscandal View Post
                  I had to replace the TCU in my ex-girlfriend's accord. It's pretty simple.
                  If you can jump-start a car, you can change the TCU. I got mine at a junkyard for like 30 dollars, I think.
                  Make sure you get the part from the same year. (I.E. 90-91 or 92-93)
                  Wow that's cheap...I've also seen threads on here that show how to replace the fried electrical parts for under 5 bucks

Comment

Finding a yard around here with a 90-91 sitting in it are few and far between. My best bet would be eBay.

Comment

Finding a yard around here with a 90-91 sitting in it are few and far between. My best bet would be eBay.
                      My yard had like 10 auto 90-91's. Only one of them still had the TCU. Good luck man.

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

Comment

Damn, here in Denver u can't even count all of the CB's in the junkyards. Sorry to hear u might have difficulty finding one in West Virginia, PM me if your having problems cuz I can get them here all day long.

Comment

Picked the Honda up from the shop, didn't charge me for trying to figure it out (they know I'm poor ). Parked it in the driveway, grabbed the socket wrench with a deep well 10mm and went to work. Twenty minutes later after fighting the carpet back, scraping two knuckles against the steel plate, and trying to fit my big monkey hands in an itty bitty space to dislodge the connectors, here is my TCU from my CB:

New transmission my arse. Hopped on eBay, found and ordered used TCU, shipped = $55. Like I said, electrical burning smell != transmission.

Comment

Yeah of course the shop is gonna say u need a new tranny (money for them). Thats a good look, glad u figured it out. And yeah removing that plate to get to the TCU/ECU sometimes can be a bitch, not to mention unplugging the damn thing. Its all good tho, you'll be up and out again in no time.

Comment

I just don't understand why it did that. I've gotten and given jumps before with the CB. Not exactly sure why it happened. Guess the moons of Jupiter and the sun were aligned just right last saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X