h22 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22 swap

Been a while ive been laggin on it but im planning on buying an engine from hmotors. Ive been debating on getting either the f22 for 985 or the h22 for 1200, do u guys think it would b worth it to pay that much for the F or should i just save up some more and wait to get the H?

One of the things im worried about is the time itll take to get the H in and have it pass smog to get my tags and im thinking itll run up the cost even more

Comment

I'm not sure I could pay that much for a f22 . there is one in your engine bay you could rebuild for less. even purchasing a local junkyard one and giving it a refresh would be more cost effective. The other California tuners will have too chime in on how easy hard or expensive it is to pass emissions with a H22 swap. As far as getting it installed it shouldn't be a significant time difference between swapping in a fresh H or f
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

I always hear about guys in SoCal offering up "passing smog" deals.

You pay them $300 (average price) and give them your paperwork. Most of them don't even need your car. Next thing you know, you are getting your registration in the mail because your car "passed smog". It's very sketchy for the car owner and the smog shop owner (huge fines). I will never give anyone a phone number or someone to talk to. If you want to pass smog bad enough, then you can find someone offering up this deal.

OR, you can get your car BAR'd. As long as all of the proper smog equipment is in place and operating properly AND the car can actually pass a legit smog, then you are good to go. It's an extreme PITA dealing with CA BAR, but it's definitely worth it when you do a swap in CA. You don't have to worry about a cop pulling you over and seeing an illegal swap because it won't be illegal.

$985 for an F22? It better be completely rebuilt and basically a brand new motor. That price is ridiculous if it's just a pulled running motor.

Comment

Which F22 are you talking about? There are MANY F22 models. Just a stock replacement?

I wouldn't count on someone offering a "deal" to pass smog, as that is clearly illegal if they're just pushing your car through. Chances are good that you could do it once... but they may be out of business the next time you need to do it. Then you're stuck scrambling to find a new "guy".
          A swap CAN be done legally, and has been done many times... but it will likely cost more. Guys in states with no inspection requirements whatsoever can slap a poorly-running H22A in their car with no emissions components attached and never think twice about it. In CA, you have to make sure everything is 100% legal. Not cheap, obviously... but I'd argue that it's likely significantly cheaper than doing it illegally!

Ask around. Figure out who you need to contact in your area to make an H22A swap legal. Hmotors sells good engines (I have one myself... been in my car for 12 years now...) If the engine is healthy, and you take the proper steps to make your swap legal, I don't see why it would be a problem. Just be sure of the costs of all involved before you start sinking money into it.

Comment

Yeah thats what i was thinking i could do is get a hot smog and say screw it. (Dont know anyone off the top but i may wait around and ask first) & the f22 would b a low mile one as hmotors says they average 30-50k on all their motors i think. I havent called and asked which one it is specifcally but id believe its the a6. Anyways thanx for the replies im still on the fence but im leaning towards the H since i figure im already gna spend a pretty penny on the engine either way.

Comment

Four years ago I spoke to Steve about a JDM F22A. I always thought they were abundant but they're really not. He informed me that the JDM F22As came in CBs with the honda of america package, making them kinda rare. I'm sure they're even more rare now. At that time they were $900 and I don't think that included shipping. He also added that the supply comes and goes at times, so sometimes he's out of stock for awhile. They're def. the most expensive sohc non-vtec F motor! The JDM F22A is setup like the USDM F22A6 with the dual butterfly IM, 4B cam, etc. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

When talking about an F22 engine, please specify which it is. Even if all you know is F22A. There are SO many different F22 engines... F22A, F22B, DOHC, SOHC, VTEC... it just gets confusing.

It would probably be better to rebuild a USDM F22A6 than to pay for a JDM import. It's the same thing, and a rebuilt engine (using quality parts) would be new... whereas a used engine would still have 35,000 miles on it, AND the parts would still be a quarter century old!
                Either way, you probably wouldn't have a bad experience with an F22A or an H22A from Hmotors.

Comment

Honestly, dealing with the CA BAR is not that difficult. Using a JDM H22A, you will need to swap out the intake manifold for a US spec one with EGR and swap out the ECU for a US spec (preferably a CA spec labeled KL) P13 to pass smog. So really it all depends on the motor you get. A good one will pass smog with no problems. Then you get your BAR label and can go anywhere for smog after that.
                  Originally posted by Junior Smurff
                  Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

On hmo it says i can add $200 for p13 ecu..so what i wanna know is would that be ok to use and then i would just have to change out the intake manifold to usdm?? Again thanx for the replies fellas

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
                      Using a JDM H22A, you will need to swap out the intake manifold for a US spec one with EGR and swap out the ECU for a US spec (preferably a CA spec labeled KL) P13 to pass smog.
                      Just curious here, why would the JDM IM need to be swapped out? The JDM IM has EGR. I think the only real difference is the JDM obd1 IM comes with the air boost valve block off plate while the USDM comes with it, at least from what I've seen. Even the Euro R IM has EGR too. Good call with the California ecu though, that'd prob help alot. An example of a California manual P13 ecu would be 37820-P13-L00. Same ecu but 49 state emissions would be 37820-P13-A00. I also have no clue if you're auto or manual since ecus also differ auto vs manual.

https://www.hondata.com/tech-ecu-identification

Comment

Does the air boost valve need to be present if the OEM JDM block-off plate is used? It doesn't apply to me, but I am curious about the process.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                        X