Wheels/Tires

Kosei K1 17x7.5 +45 wheels
    235/45/17 Nitto NT850 tires

Exterior

stock

Interior

dyed black carpet

Audio

Boston Acoustics 6.5" front speakers (mounted with 3/4" MDF rings)

My previous 1993 frost white EX coupe has been taken off the road for a while now and I began to feel so overwhelmed by how involved I'd gotten into it that I wondered if I would ever finish. I toyed around with the idea of getting a temporary car to start stashing parts onto with the idea of continuing the restoration of my other one. You can see how torn down it is in the other thread. It's not that others haven't had their cars torn down that far before, because many have. I just felt the need to replace every single clip, fastener or seal anytime one was disturbed. The costs mounted and that played a lot into the overwhelmed feeling.

So, my search for a more suitable replacement began. I was dead set on finding a 1993 frost white EX coupe with a 5-speed manual in great condition. I drove over four hours on two different occasions to look at prospective choices but turned both of them down. The things that Craigslist sellers feel that they don't have to disclose because the age of that car should make you assume some issues will be present is staggering. I feel that it's not unreasonable to want to know that the ignition switch is now a push button assembly that hangs by the wires draped from the engine bay around in through the door. Or that the hood is so rusted that the latch is about to not have anything to grab onto. All among other issues that were present as well. I nearly got so frustrated that I quit searching. Then I found the one. It was up in Seattle from a small dealer on Craigslist. He wanted a little more than I felt reasonable paying for it, but we got the discussion started anyway. I ultimately decided that even though I felt I was still grossly overpaying for the car, I wasn't going to find one in the same condition ever again that was also exactly what I wanted. It ticked all of the boxes. So, I gave him an uprated offer from my previous one and he accepted. I booked a flight from Houston to Seattle, took a few vacation days and flew there to pick it up.

My mom flew from where she lives to meet me at the airport because she felt like coming along for the road trip. She's a teacher and has summer off so she wasn't busy otherwise. From the Seattle airport we took the light rail as far North as we could take it and transitioned to a bus from there. We had to walk the last 200 yards or so to the dealer from the nearest bus stop, but when I got there I was not disappointed. The Pacific Northwest neatly preserved an example of my favorite CB7 combination. Given the age of the vehicle and how crappy Honda's paint jobs are, I'd say the paint shines really well. It had rear tires that desperately needed replacement, a bad rear engine mount and an obviously replaced engine. The engine code is F22A4 but it has the F22A6 intake manifold and header still. I would come to find out later that the combination of The F22A6 manifold, PT6 ECU, F22A1/4 camshaft and 85-octane Utah gasoline make a performance dog in the mountains. Otherwise, it runs great. Just commuting, that is.

Here's the route I took:

I didn't really do much in Seattle. I wanted to, but I also needed to get to Portland to stay the night. I met c91bse7 to give him a couple of things that he was needing in exchange for checking out the car for me initially. Then I continued down to Portland. I stayed the night there and got up in the morning to do some sightseeing. We checked out the Lan Su Chinese gardens and ate at the food trucks for lunch. Soon after that we headed out.

Here are some garden pictures:

We drove through Oregon and Idaho into Utah that day. We just laid the seats back and crashed at a truck stop that night. I only wanted to rest for a couple of hours and didn't feel like paying a hotel $75 for the privilege. I woke up that morning and started driving the rest of the way to Salt Lake City. Talk about a gorgeous town.

We stopped at a dinosaur museum South of Salt Lake to look around before we left. I loved dinosaurs as a kid and Utah is one of the premiere locations for finding Jurassic and Cretaceous fossils in the world. Then we drove to Albuquerque. But not before driving through some of the most gorgeous terrain the US has to offer. I was just blown away. It was one of those moments when I wished I had a little extra time and a DSLR with the ability to use it. My pictures won't do it any justice. We had an accidental detour that ended us up down on a small road that eventually took us to the bottom of a canyon carved out by the Colorado river. Talk about the coolest wrong turn ever.

We got to Albuquerque late that night and stayed at a hotel. We quickly left the next morning and made it all the way to Tyler where my parents live. It was a pretty boring drive that reminded me how flat Texas is. I got to Houston the next day and the car sat for a week. That next weekend I got it up to College Station and it sat there for another few months until I had some time to do some things with it. The registration process was a pain, but now it's all legal and back on the road! Not before a few things were fixed on it, though!

A pretty clean engine bay:

Some questionably-wired aftermarket foglights:

An inexplicably-performed precautionary measure:

I had to replace the crappy muffler shop job on this car. The previous owner had a generic stainless muffler welded to the factory exhaust. I had the full 2.25" mandrel-bent stainless system and header from the previous car so I put it on with a new catalytic converter and new gaskets. It's still a round cannon muffler, but my Megan Racing M-DT muffler will be put on soon. I chose it because it looks very similar to the dual tip muffler these cars came with.

I got the fog lights out right before I had to go back to Houston that Sunday night.

I've taken some recent pictures, but I'll update the thread with those chronologically.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

The car just got inspected and registered this past week (11/1/14) after a 7/31/2014 pick-up date. As it was finally legal to drive, and I'd taken care of the small issues it had in the down time, I was finally ready to bring it down to Houston with me. Houston is cool because there are an unending amount of places to take cool pictures. I wanted to get a few pictures of the car in its "baseline" stage before I really started modifying it. I do not own a nice camera save the one integrated into my Galaxy S5. I also do not know how to take good pictures. That said, the setting in which the pictures are taken can make an otherwise uninteresting car seem cool. Here's my point-and-shoot attempt. Once the car is a little further along I'll recruit some friends who do this for a living to get some better pictures.

Just washed and ready to go. The fence posts and concrete buttons in the background are for the light rail system I've been building here in Houston for the past two and a half years.

This is a warehouse on the same street as the car wash. The owners don't really care about the graffiti and in the past few years it has become a Houston landmark. It was one of the first few places that legendary graffiti artist NEKST tagged. After he died in 2012 some of his rivals (because graffiti rivals are a thing, apparently) painted over it and newcomers have done stuff like the unicorn mask. We're in the age of the internet, folks.

This is the storage and staging yard for my jobsite. I'm a civil field engineer, so most of my time is in the office, but occasionally I get to come out and play on that CAT 938H to the back right of my car.

You'll have to excuse the poseur nature of my car photos. I know that parking crooked and leaving lights on is pretty cheesy. Honestly, I've never really attempted to put any effort into taking pictures of the car so it's all new to me. Whether my picture taking abilities improve or not, the photos should get better once the Accord is out of 4WD mode.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017, 02:03 AM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

(Feel free to move this down if you are not done with the beginning pages)

Well Jarrett it seems you have found a minty clean Accord that is what you wanted as a base shell for your future endevours.

The intro story is great, perfect example of how a forum can be of use for buying projects. You look about for the right one, use a member local to it to check it over, justify the long trip by adding a short break to it and knowing its history to give you enough confidence to drive it all the way back.

I would say even in USA terms thats a long way to go to get a car! But for me in the UK it seems just crazy distance! I get a bit unsure if I have to travel over 2hrs to get a car/ebay item etc lol and I dont mind driving. I would have to drive to North Africa straight down from the UK to cover similar mileage/hours!

So is this going to have your unique engine and gearbox setup?
      Last edited by marcusv8thunder; 11-16-2014, 05:40 PM.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
      UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
      NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

That's awesome that you got what you were looking for and got someone else from the forum to check it out for you. That's even better that your mom went along for the road trip. Tell her I said hi, she is a sweet lady.

My question is the same as marcusv8thunder's, should I be watching this thread closely for the motor build we have discussed?

Comment

CLEAN dude! love it! Reminds me of my own story, haha

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Nice selection.

That's really the way to do it. Sometimes it is truly worth it to spend the top of your budget for the best base car to start with rather than start with something really rough and hope for the best.

Plus, you'd be surprised how much you can make back by parting out what you already have.

Comment

I saw that car on CL before, and I swore it had 1 piecers on it. Glad things worked out and really some breath taking views there in New Mexico. I would love to drive through those some day.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post

Well Jarrett it seems you have found a minty clean Accord that is what you wanted as a base shell for your future endevours.

The intro story is great, perfect example of how a forum can be of use for buying projects. You look about for the right one, use a member local to it to check it over, justify the long trip by adding a short break to it and knowing its history to give you enough confidence to drive it all the way back.

I would say even in USA terms thats a long way to go to get a car! But for me in the UK it seems just crazy distance! I get a bit unsure if I have to travel over 2hrs to get a car/ebay item etc lol and I dont mind driving. I would have to drive to North Africa straight down from the UK to cover similar mileage/hours!

So is this going to have your unique engine and gearbox setup?
                Yeah, c91bse7 really did me a huge favor by checking the car out for me. At the time I thought that since he was in Seattle as well that it wouldn't a big deal for him. From the time I left the dealership until the time I actually met him a whole hour passed. That's how far this guy went out of his way to check it out for me. I was able to give him some parts he needed in return, but I still don't think it was enough. And yes, it was an insane distance to cover regardless of the country I live in. But, it seemed like a fun thing to do. I packed all of my clothes and toiletries into my carry-on. My checked bag had my trimmed down tool kit and nearly every conceivable part I thought I might need in the event of an emergency. I still haven't unpacked that suitcase so I'll post a picture of that soon.

The engines that will go into this car will be progressively better than the last. My girlfriend wants to learn to build an engine so we will be combining one of my H22As and the F22A from the previous white car into a 2.3L H22A with moderately high compression and Type S camshafts. Everything else will be stock and it will run on a stock P13 to keep swap issues down. From there I'll put in the 2.3L high compression F20B I've been building. It will have the Skunk2 Tuner 2 camshafts I've been holding onto for a while. It's basically an F20B with an F23A rotating assembly and K20Z3 pistons. I had planned another engine afterward which I purchased an H22A4 block, PDE head and Euro R/Type R intake for, but the thought of swapping engines with every oil change is a little daunting. I truthfully just want to build the engines. I could care less if I don't get to drive it. The PDE head will go to Endyn for porting eventually. He has been hesitant so far because he doesn't have a CNC file for the PDE head. If that engine gets built, it will be much more performance-minded than the rest.

The gearbox is pretty much the same thing as a couple of others have done so far. It's an M2F4 (lowest-geared F/H-series transmission) that has Synchrotech synchros, an F22A 5th gear assembly and new differential bearings waiting on it. One of these days I'll get around to purchasing the MFactory LSD and then I'll begin the build. The transmission itself is still in a plastic tote that RyanD shipped it to me in and looks like it was drug out of a field.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post

That's awesome that you got what you were looking for and got someone else from the forum to check it out for you. That's even better that your mom went along for the road trip. Tell her I said hi, she is a sweet lady.

My question is the same as marcusv8thunder's, should I be watching this thread closely for the motor build we have discussed?
                I texted her to tell her. She says, 'Hi'. Just an FYI, I still have all of your A/C stuff in my garage waiting on you. Just let me now what you want me to do with it.

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                CLEAN dude! love it! Reminds me of my own story, haha
                You were partly an inspiration for this. Truth be told, I gave some consideration to making a similar trip to New York for your white coupe but the rust made me hesitate. Oh well, it's sold now and you're onto something better. You really don't appreciate the satisfaction of not having to deal with nagging issues until you have something so nice that doesn't require much attention at all. Seriously, I could name the issues that this car has on my ten fingers. I don't mean the things I would put in a Craigslist ad either. I'm talking if a gun was pointed at me and the demands were: "Name 10 things you know are wrong with this car!" Dramatization, of course, but it's nearly the truth. Buy something that was taken care of and you won't regret it.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                Nice selection.

That's really the way to do it. Sometimes it is truly worth it to spend the top of your budget for the best base car to start with rather than start with something really rough and hope for the best.

Plus, you'd be surprised how much you can make back by parting out what you already have.
                True story. In addition to buying something nice, buy what you want. If you're set on a Laurel blue metallic LX coupe with a manual transmission, don't settle for an automatic DX just because it was convenient or it became available. The price difference between the nicest of these cars and the rattiest of them is no more than a couple thousand dollars. Buy what you want. If it means you have to go a little further or wait a little longer, whatever.

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                I saw that car on CL before, and I swore it had 1 piecers on it. Glad things worked out and really some breath taking views there in New Mexico. I would love to drive through those some day.
                It doesn't yet, but it soon will. I've changed the retrofit on my JDM headlights a bit and they're nearly ready to be installed. The corners that are on it right now are '90-'91 clear corners without reflectors.

The views I posted were in Utah a little North of Moab. But New Mexico isn't too bad itself.
                Last edited by Jarrett; 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

The motor swap plans sound cool, first one sounds like the one I'm running now and the second one sounds like one I've been kicking around for my next build. Which rods do you plan on using on the h22 stroker?
                  CB7TUNER.com
                  Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Always glad to help, a short hour drive was nothing compared to your journey. Looks like it was quite a nice drive!

Look forward to seeing the updates and build up on this car.

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                    Wimp go low or go home haha
                    Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
                    Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                      The motor swap plans sound cool, first one sounds like the one I'm running now and the second one sounds like one I've been kicking around for my next build. Which rods do you plan on using on the h22 stroker?
                      I'll use the factory F22A rods for press-fit pins. The only reason I'm not upgrading rods is that I don't see myself keeping the engine for any extended period of time. It's really just to buy time for the stroked F20B to be finished. All I lack on it is installing the balance shaft eliminator and convincing myself that I'm okay with no headwork being done.

Originally posted by c91bse7 View Post
                      Always glad to help, a short hour drive was nothing compared to your journey. Looks like it was quite a nice drive!

Look forward to seeing the updates and build up on this car.
                      Thanks again. It was nice getting to see your car in person. Given the recent updates to your own thread it looks like I saw it a little too early!

Comment

Your not missing much, the bumper I just put on is a junkyard find doesn't match perfect and fitment is not great. It works for winter months though! Hopefully I'll be finishing more projects soon.

Comment

Not quite the update that I planned to have after the Thanksgiving break, but I wasn't totally unproductive. Though the paint on this car is outstanding compared to most other non-repainted Hondas from the early 90's, I felt that it could be better. I took my weak Craftsman orbital buffer to it and set out to see what I could come up with. I only did the top surfaces of the car so the fenders, doors and quarter panels will have to be done later. I was losing light fast so the pictures kind of suck.

Beginning to tape the car off

Here's the outcome

Once I get a couple more parts purchased that I didn't think about initially I will have a massive update. Until I can do a specific area of work fully, it doesn't make sense to start. Stay tuned!
                          Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Clean looking CB

92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

91 cb9 wagon

Comment

Are there 3 accords in that picture?
                              Looks like it turned out pretty well for being such old paint, I need to do my hood and trunk still. Thanks for the motivation

Comment

Working...
                              X