Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

piping diameter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piping diameter.

So for a turbo I purchased a used Evo III Big 16g. MHI Compressor and Cartridge, but eBay "Big 16g" turbine housing. Don't ask me why an eBay turbine housing...just came that way, and I feel it shouldn't make a difference.

I was looking at the turbo, and the thing is tiny tiny tiny compared to what I imagined. I understand we only have 4 cylinders and all, but still...this thing is the size of my puberty stricken genitalia.

I was originally wanting to run 3" charge piping, because it looked so much cleaner that way, but now that I see the compressor...there is absolutely no way 3" charge pipes off of this will be efficient. I purchased 2.5" charge pipes, but the difference is still grand.

I have and still am checking out what other tuners have to say (I have been reading primarily dsm forums for this) about mix matching the 16g with bigger housings, and what does/ doesn't need to be improved on this snail.

The turbine housing looks like its sufficient for my goals, but as stated earlier, I feel different towards the compressor.

I remember talking to some tuners over the months and have been referred to an 18g hybrid, some 20g parts, and porting the housings.

BTW, my goals are 10-12lbs max on the stock bottom, and once I am sick of this build I'm goin a bit bigger and better.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Andy.

^^click it or ticket^^

2.5'' is still very big. a guy that builds honda motors near me uses 1.75'' hot pipes and 2'' cold pipes and is making wonderful power that is efficient and reliable and his power is ranging from 250whp-375whp depending on what motor he is building.
    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

The get into the efficiency range of a 3 inch intercooler is high boost/cfm. You will be simply happier with smaller. Less lag. Less boost loss on a small turbo (there is always a little) so I would say 2-2.5 inches is where you will be happy... I run 2 inch on a small intercooler on most of my setups.. but the only time they get beat on is the track or races and I have a sprayer for that... it all just depends...

Superior Tuning Solutions
      Dedspool MFG
      1995 Civic Coupe : A/M F swap
      LOCK.IT.UP

Comment

will the stock bottom end hold that much psi? ive been wondering this b/c i thought i'd have to rebuild my whole motor so i could turbo it
        My cb7

h22a
        5-spd lsd
        Lord, grant me the serenity
        to accept the things I cannot change,
        the courage to change the things I can,
        and the wisdom to hide the bodies
        of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

I would go 2-2.5 for the piping. Are you going to run a 3inch downpipe?

Originally posted by f22a1accord View Post
          will the stock bottom end hold that much psi? ive been wondering this b/c i thought i'd have to rebuild my whole motor so i could turbo it
          THe stock bottom end will do 10-12psi pretty good, Anything over 15psi is pushing it. I've seen them put 20psi on a stock bottom end but it didn't last long. As long as it's rebuilt, 10-12psi is fine.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
            I would go 2-2.5 for the piping. Are you going to run a 3inch downpipe?

THe stock bottom end will do 10-12psi pretty good, Anything over 15psi is pushing it. I've seen them put 20psi on a stock bottom end but it didn't last long. As long as it's rebuilt, 10-12psi is fine.
            rebuilt as in stock parts in the bottom end? i'm building my head either way.

edit: back on topic. my friend has been trying to get me to buy his evo III 16g b/c he dont wanna put it on his talon. and if im not mistaken he uses 2 1/2 inch piping.
            Last edited by f22a1accord; 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM.
            My cb7

h22a
            5-spd lsd

Comment

Originally posted by f22a1accord View Post
              rebuilt as in stock parts in the bottom end? i'm building my head either way.

edit: back on topic. my friend has been trying to get me to buy his evo III 16g b/c he dont wanna put it on his talon. and if im not mistaken he uses 2 1/2 inch piping.
              Yeah with stock/oem replacement parts. I want to go turbo I don't have the funds to right now. Why doesn't he want to put it on his Talon?

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

2.5 will be fine thats what i run on my setup.

and a stock bottem will hold 20 psi fine from what i have been told i have ran 10-15 psi fine for about a year with no problems

93 EX COUPE, F22A6 turbo project
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...45#post1615845
                96 lexus sc300 DD
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143563

back from basic.... off to ait.... CB still being worked on i have mad plans for it .. sorry cant tell its on the hush hush for now but all i can say in somewhere around 500 hp soon to come..

Comment

2.5"piping is a good size.

The e3b16g is not a huge turbo, but there is essentially no lag, it flows well, and dsm guys have gone 10's with them.

I ran 15 psi for a while with my motor, but 10-12 is a good amount to run on it if you have a good tune.
                  2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                  2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

i am rebuilding my motor right now and have the same turbo setup as u. and i plan to run 12 psi also. i have 2.5 piping for mine with a massive intercooler, and i was wondering the same thing cause i just didnt see how this little turbo could boost through all that pipeing and the intercooler and still be able to build boost. but i will let u know how mine works out
                    278 whp 266 wtq.
                    build thread. CLICK HERE
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=126819

Comment

wow, more replies than I imagined.

I am going to run a 3" downpipe to a 3" exhaust, with a cat and a resonator and muffler.

The intercooler I'm going to use is an evo8 one, which has 2.5" side exits.

So I guess there is more than meets the eye with this snail after all....good to hear, good to hear.

And like I said earlier, I plan on tuning this bitch myself, so the tune will be nice (hopefully lol).

Alright, so I just need to rebuild her then. The compressor fins are a little tweaked, so I might as well just buy a tdo5h cartridge right?

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post

Alright, so I just need to rebuild her then. The compressor fins are a little tweaked, so I might as well just buy a tdo5h cartridge right?
                        you already have cartrige so all you need is 16g super back rebuild kit + turbine wheel and compressor wheel, make sure you get same compressor wheel to match your housing and turbine wheel are all same 14b, 16g, evo3 16g also it have to be td05h not td05

edit: When you buy new turbine wheel and compressor wheel make sure they are balanced.
                        Last edited by keycb7; 02-20-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

You can have it 1.75 or 2inches and still run out 400whp
                          Its all about the setup on the exhaust to 3 inches because it goes into the throttlebody.

After you make more boost with the right setup you dont need big pipes goin to the throttlebody jus traise the boost and make sure you get more flow goin out thats all.

Comment

Can everyone seriously stop saying "xx psi". It's retarded and meaningless. The psi an engine can "hold" changes with each turbo.

Don't ever set your goals on psi, but rather set power goals.

2.5" is fine for charge piping up to about 400whp, then it starts being a restriction.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                              Yeah with stock/oem replacement parts. I want to go turbo I don't have the funds to right now. Why doesn't he want to put it on his Talon?
                              haha my point exactly. he has his whole 4g63 build from top to bottom and he is still on the stock turbo(t25) but the way is spools in is sick. he's runnin a short route FMIC too.
                              My cb7

h22a
                              5-spd lsd

Comment

Working...
                              X