Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Vanes and Rifling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanes and Rifling

I was thinking about velocity.
    I know fluid dynamics and bullets are totally different, but would rifling the outside of the turbo housing increase velocity into the housing and help with surge issues? Or like in the intake tubing; or would that restrict airflow from grabbing the cuts from the rifling?

About black magic using vanes.
    The 88' Honda Legend used a type of turbo that had four vanes that opened at idle letting air pass easy, and closed on acceleration increasing velocity of exhaust gasses getting you into boost faster[awesome]. Once the boost level is reached, they open again letting air flow easily at whatever speed you're riding at. Why do we not use this in current practice to reduce lag and increase fuel efficiency? I mean it's more power faster... Couldn't we also use this to help our smaller engines spool those big ol' turbos to make more power?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but this is how it works. It forces higher velocity air at the blades. This blew my mind today.

Comment

It's already being used. Holset HE351VGT is one of my favorites, the turbo rdx used it. The control method is the hardest part. It's best if you use a microcontroller of some sort.
      Google "variable geometry turbo" or "Variable nozzle turbo"

Rifling the turbine housing will create a vortex effect at the surface of the housing, but I don't think it will do much for the rest of the cross sectional air entering. That's pretty much the extent of my fluid dynamics knowledge.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

the idea of rifling the intake piping reminds me of this scam device: http://www.vorteccyclone.com/what-is-it.html

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Or better yet... this one

I had one of these a few years back and all it did was make my intake whistle. All be it this is a bit of an extreme rifling, more like a screw thread. I don't imagine that rifling the intake side of the turbo would really do all that much.

A flow valve in the exhaust system is nothing new. Suzuki has been doing it on it's bikes for years. The issues with implementing something custom like this would be the amount of time that it takes to develop a controller and dial in the exhaust flow with the turbo. It would take some considerable dyno and fabrication time to get everything dialed in. Not saying that it can't be done. It will take some considerable finances though.

I'm sure the new Turbo V6 Formula 1 engines are using variable flow intake and exhaust systems. Now that Honda is back in the F1 game we may see something like this trickle down to the Honda production line very soon.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-05-2014, 11:20 AM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
            I'm sure the new Turbo V6 Formula 1 engines are using variable flow intake and exhaust systems. Now that Honda is back in the F1 game we may see something like this trickle down to the Honda production line very soon.
            That's awesome. The Honda RA168E engines won every event but one in the 1988 F1. This is also the year they developed their VGT's like I stated for Legend. I think seeing and hearing 1.6L v6 turbocharged engines will be intense. I'm really wanting to know how much power they'll make. And the headers, good god the Formula 1 headers are so beautiful.

Comment

Ah yes, the old 1.5L twin turbo V6 Honda era with Prost and Senna behind the wheel!

The old V6 tubo headers weren't all that pretty. They pretty much looked like cast 3-1 manifolds...lol

Honda was winning F1 championships with boosted engines back in the 80's. Hope they will show some more innovative small displacement, big HP, boosted technology to the world! Seems like they are going with a single turbo fed by both exhaust banks. Interestingly enough I don't know if this image is of the actual design they decided to use. I think they are going with the split turbo setup similar to the Merc engine that won this year. We'll just have to wait and see what Honda brings out in the new year!
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

i lol'd when i saw those 2 pictures of those gimmick things..waste of money. That tornado thing actually hurts performance. the block, besides the small benefits that a spacer offers, no real performance increases.

you want laminar flow with no turbulence. (N/A) turbo, youd want smooth flow at least up to the compressor, after that flow volume takes precedence.

Comment

That dual turbo bank looks awesome. I'd be willing to bet that the rear turbo is going to get bigger. That thing looks super tiny, they also have all that extra room to make it bigger. The clutch placement is also really different from other F1 engines. The tiny opening under the turbo in the picture is where the clutch is; they're usually inside the gearbox so that's a cool thing they're doing different.
                  I read they were moving all the more complex stuff of the engine to the back of it so they can have a bigger fuel tank too. So they're thinking hard on this stuff. I think they have a mad good chance at winning.

And I really like headers.

Comment

Working...
                  X