No announcement yet.

dhill_cb7 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I think the torque converter is to blame. Will try and do more investigation but I think it may be time to go 5 speed swap or get another reputable transmission. Sucks because the car only has 133K on it.

Oh and I failed to mention in 2011 I bottomed out and hit a curb(I think it is documented on here). Excalibur mentioned to me there is a big hole in the bell housing under the torque converter

So i'll bet that lead to the failure over time. I failed to mention that it runs extremely rough in reverse. Like the car is going to die and shakes a lot. Also at higher speeds like 50+ the car shudders and shakes a bit. Excalibur removed all the mounts and they were all in good working order.

So again bad torque converter? and with the hole in the bellhousing under the torque converter I think it is time. I do not want to retire the CB but I am sick to my stomach over this.

Comment

I suspect a bad torque converter would allow the engine to race without the car moving much (no torque being converted!).

Did you reconnect the transmission throttle cable? Mess with its adjustment while disconnecting or reconnecting? When you put the hole in the bell housing, did you hit it hard enough to impact the torque converter as well? Is the flex plate bent?

Not doubting Excalibur's ability, maybe double check ignition timing? I had problems with one of mine because of cracked insulation on the wiring inside the distributor. Any oil inside the distributor, or just external?
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-06-2017, 12:48 AM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        I suspect a bad torque converted would allow the engine to race without the car moving much (no torque being converted!).

Did you reconnect the transmission throttle cable? Mess with its adjustment while disconnecting or reconnecting? When you put the hole in the bell housing, did you hit it hard enough to impact the torque converter as well? Is the flex plate bent?

Not doubting Excalibur's ability, maybe double check ignition timing? I had problems with one of mine because of cracked insulation on the wiring inside the distributor. Any oil inside the distributor, or just external?
        Hey Fleetwood thanks for the kind reply. There was very little oil inside of the dizzy. Excalibur did not think the inner seal needed to be replaced so we left the old one in there. There was a mess under the dizzy on the starter and transmission.
        He claims he reconnected the transmission cable but I plan to take it over my grand parents this afternoon and check it out.

Is it possible to recheck ignition timing without a timing light ? Is that fairly cheap? I am not sure how to do it exactly..

The torque converter was not hit in the accident it was fully intact. The black cover plate that goes over the flex plate (I think) was a little damaged at the bottom next to the hole in the bell housing. Excalibur said the flex plate and torque converter looked to be in good shape when he removed them from the car. I even looked at them. Oh and the transmission is NOT leaking fluid from the bell housing hole.

I think pictures may be needed to further diagnose this issue. I'll see what I can do today.

Also another issue we noticed the transmission would only take 5 quarts? Shouldn't there be 6.7? or 6.3? I forget I read your post a while back about the amount that should go in after a full overhaul. Would that indicate the filter is blocked by components that have failed? Maybe the internal clutches are shot after we removed the old fluid?

Comment

The transmission holds 6 quarts, but when you drain it from the drain plug you only get about 2.5. Did you actually overhaul the transmission? If you put 5 quarts in, it may be way over full.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            The transmission holds 6 quarts, but when you drain it from the drain plug you only get about 2.5. Did you actually overhaul the transmission? If you put 5 quarts in, it may be way over full.
            We removed the transmission from the car. Wouldn't that be an overhaul?
            We emptied the torque converter once it was off the car too.

Or is there still some tranny fluid in the tranny even after it is removed?

We were able to fill up the 5 quart jug and a small 1 quart jug(of the old fluid). Which indicated to Excalibur and I that it was empty?

The dipstick appears to right at the top level. I have been checking it every day since we did the work.

I guess I should go and drain out some fluid and see if it fixes the issue. It may be overfilled but the damage may already be done at this point.

I guess what I should ask is if we drained it from the drain bolt and removed it off the car would some fluid remain inside the tranny? I'm gonna try and drain some out and see if that resolves the issues.

I will report back heading over there now.

Comment

An "overhaul" would be complete disassembly and reassembly of the transmission. When in the car, only about 2.5 quarts drain out. Much of the fluid remains in the torque converter. After removing it and draining the torque converter; it is feasible that you could put 5-6 quarts in.

Comment

Hey everyone!!!

I still have my baby. Just hit 136k the other day. The problems I was having above were because the distributor was not aligned properly which caused the car to not have power. Got it aligned and timed with a timing light.

Hope to update some pictures soon. Purchased new suspension components. Miss everyone. Hope everyone is doing well.

Comment

Good to see you still have the car and got everything figured out. Looking forward to seeing the suspension mods.

Comment

Thanks Mike! Maury (Excalibur) currently has the suspension components at his house. He also has three bars we will be installing this summer (when he finishes parting out his SE coupe). The bars are front, rear, and in the backseat.

I'll see if i can upload pictures of them. Photobucket is trying to extort money out of me in order to host images. I may just use them unless there is an easier way to host images. I haven't done my homework on this yet.

Contemplating what company I want to handle my rusting rear quarters. I would love to go back to school to learn welding but if anyone knows anyone on the east coast that is good with welding in quarter panels; please let me know.

I would prefer to pay a member as opposed to random shop who does not have the passion for our CBs. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I know what bars you are talking about. Should make a noticeable difference for sure. Try Flickr for uploading your pictures. Works great for me.
                      Last edited by Mike1357; 07-01-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                        I know what bars you are talking about. Should make a noticeable distended for sure. Try Flickr for uploading your pictures. Works great for me.
                        Sounds good Mike. I presume I just download my current library from photobucket and upload it to flickr?

Then all the images should rehost that way?

Side note: I went to my local honda dealership today to grab oem power steering fluid and talked with the manager of the body shop. They WILL use any metal parts I supply to fix my rear quarter panels. Which is amazing news. That way the cost doesn’t burn a major hole in my pocket all at once. So I will be looking at all available options before I make the decision for Honda to do the repair. Almost every other body shop I have inquired with laughed at me and said “why would you want to fix that old POS....”

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
                          Sounds good Mike. I presume I just download my current library from photobucket and upload it to flickr?

Then all the images should rehost that way?

Side note: I went to my local honda dealership today to grab oem power steering fluid and talked with the manager of the body shop. They WILL use any metal parts I supply to fix my rear quarter panels. Which is amazing news. That way the cost doesn’t burn a major hole in my pocket all at once. So I will be looking at all available options before I make the decision for Honda to do the repair. Almost every other body shop I have inquired with laughed at me and said “why would you want to fix that old POS....”
                          Based on my experience with Ruby, you need to find a shop that takes an interest in it, regardless of what they think of your car - you're the customer. I talked to at least half a dozen shops before I found one where the owner himself told me that he'd do as little or as much as I wanted, and if I chose to do most of the work (which I did), he'd give me advice as I went. I cut one of the outer quarter skins off, then drove it to his shop and we probably talked for 30 or more minutes about how to go about rebuilding the inner wheel housing and where to cut/create joints for the whole skin.

Comment

Thank you Paul. Appreciate your input as always. Your help has been priceless. Updated mileage on front page. Just broke 136k.

Will be replacing thermostat tomorrow. I will take pictures to update. Thank you fellas and ladies for helping me keep betsy alive. Hope everyone is doing well.

Comment

It has been a year since my last update. I have countless pictures to add but it has been so long since I added one I have to sit down and figure out what hosting site I want to use.

Just an update for anyone that I have met and spoken with on the phone. This community has really been a great motivator for me and I really appreciate all the kind words. I wanted to say I know I have been missing and I always say I will be back.

I have a lot planned for the CB and if anyone is local near me I would love to meet up and exchange numbers. I am always down to help a fellow member.

I purchased a house in October 2018 and I have been SO busy with it. I could start a whole thread on that but I am going to leave that one alone

I have a new GF and she is really into cars but she doesn't have one yet ( I am trying to get her to buy a CB )

So for the no pictures update but I am not sure if photobucket is still holding the images for ransom? I have not logged in there for a while either.

Comment

Working...
                              X