Clear All

So I'm shopping for a wagon...

... trying to justify value.

I see $4k for this "hard to find classic Honda" CB9 EX
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...923466518.html

or

$2500 for this actually-hard-to-find 4WS 4th-gen Prelude:
    https://offerup.com/item/detail/664196337/

Both cars look to be in similarly great shape cosmetically, and have similar enough miles, so I'm not seeing the sense in the $4k. The Accord has always been one of the best-selling cars in this country...

I'm not sure if I want to waste the two hour round trip going to the wagon owner to try and throw out an offer of 2500, maybe going as high as 3000, especially considering I'd have to drag a friend along to help get it home. They say "firm" at 4k, which makes me think I'd be wasting my breath on such a lowball. I can't tell if that's a spot of rust on the passenger quarter, or if the slight off-color of the driver door is just down to the camera/lighting, it's got more than 200,000 miles, and there are no interior shots to show quality there, but that body's gorgeous. The headlights line up properly with the hood, and everything. I even really like the color. The car's been sitting on CL for a month; I might email them this weekend after I figure out how to best word that offer. I priced out a manual swap, and it'll run me about $1400 or so done the way I want. Given my H22 build, I've been factoring the trans swap into what an automatic is really worth to me.

This next wagon is another local option, but whatever's going on with the one quarter panel and the bubbled tint in some shots are making me wonder about the timeline and recent-ness of the photos. There are the added negatives of the red interior (maybe I could get over that; it does look mint after all) and the paint being pretty much the same boring silver-gold as my RSX; I want an actual color on the outside. Still, it looks in amazing shape overall, and for only $1550 (making me scratch my head even more at the $4k of the other wagon). Like the blue car, it's about an hour away to look at:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...937319501.html

Thoughts on the wagons? As badly as I want the Prelude, I'm not getting a Prelude. If only I wanted to pay the insurance (and for the storage units needed to house them), I could get the Prelude and the second wagon for the same price as the first!
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-27-2019, 12:47 PM.

Accord Aero-R

That last wagon definitely has rust in the rear quarter panel on the passenger side and. The maroon interior grows on you. At least mine did. But I may eventually dye it or get black interior one day.

The first one is not in perfect condition as you can see it hit something white on the front passenger side of the bumper and the paint is peeling on the passenger side mirror. Which I don’t think that is common with our cbs with factory paint. I could be wrong. Also there looks to be some damage on the driver side rear bumper as well. I don’t know why if they are asking for that price why they wouldn’t post up interior shots or engine shots. Usually when I see firm the most you will get them down is 200 tops.
    Last edited by Grumpys93; 07-27-2019, 01:41 PM.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I saw the little bumper scuffs; they don't bother me. Same with the mirrors, since I've got power folding mirrors to paint-match to whatever car I get. If I decide on a personal visit, I'd look closely all around the body for evidence of repair work.

That second wagon, though. The rust spot is very obvious, but what could be up with that brown smear in this shot (click to enlarge). A dent or scratch repair that was just very poorly color-matched, maybe?

The more I stare at that car, the more I'm wanting to actually look at it, mainly to see how far the rust has spread. I could probably do a DIY repair on that area with some coded rattle can. Wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be a lot better than that, and at least hold the rust at bay for a while. The same car's got another ad (here) with a couple other pictures. Don't mind the price, whoever write it sounds a bit off; there were a total of three ads the other day, each one slightly cheaper than the last, but with a note that the latest one was a single-day special price and that the car would afterward be going back up to 1800. Quite the salesman! It's certainly cheap enough, I'll see if my friend's up to check that one out tomorrow and report back. But I will say that I'm so over body work, and my gut's telling me to wait it out for something else to come along...
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-27-2019, 03:26 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Can’t really go wrong with either, honestly.
        There are still plenty of 5 speed conversion parts around for the CB9, so that makes it easier to make it what you want it to be.
        The Prelude is less common. I don’t see many around anymore, aside from the sadly rusty purple one a block from me... and 4ws is definitely uncommon. Parts to fix that system may be hard to come by. I’d look into that availability before you commit to that.

Comment

The green wagon has rust as well.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything with rust, but having been there done that, I wouldn't do it again. The problem is you don't know what the inner structure looks like either. Unless you do the full panel, any DIY repair will just lead to rust coming back. When I purchased my car both sides had been touched up fairly well by a pro shop, but the rust simply moved around the Bondo and popped out elsewhere.

I've always liked Preludes from that era and nearly bought one but it had been touched up in the quarters and I refused to buy anything with rust. If it's clean, it is definitely worth a look.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really not wanting to deal with rust, either. These days, though, how long would I have to wait before finding a mint quarter panel? Those that have them and are otherwise as clean as that green car are asking well over $5,000. No matter what, I think it would be wise to keep an eye out for wagons with good quarter panels in junkyards, to cut out for potential future use.

The silver car sold, the guy just hasn't removed the ad yet.

I e-mailed the owner of the green car, offering "around $3,000" and asking them to get back to me if they decide to come down "at all." Good words to at least open negotiation, I figure. Personally, I can't tell if that's a spot of rust on the passenger side or just an odd trick of the light since it's at a hard corner. There also might be some very slight surface rust lining the driver rear wheel arch, but something that close to the edge of the sheet metal would be easy to fix permanently.

The Prelude wasn't actually a serious consideration. I really want one, but I'm getting a CB. I just posted it as a price reference. I don't understand how CBs are getting to be as expensive as Hondas and Acuras ten-plus years newer, because even looking at it from a 'classic' perspective, it was never a popular enthusiast vehicle. Those that bought Hondas for sporting intentions ignored them because they were big and heavy with worthless engines next to the Civic and Integra. Yet everyone else bought them because they were a well-done, practical car, so it's not like the production numbers were remotely low.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-29-2019, 01:28 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think the fact that they’re becoming less common (especially in good condition) plays a part. Even if they’re still quite common near you, people that are selling are likely looking at nationwide average prices, and those are going up. Additionally, while they’re not quite “classic”, though eligible, they hold a great deal of nostalgia for people that now have the space and disposable income for a piece of their childhood.

I paid $3,500 for my cb7 with rust, faded paint, and 125,000 miles 18 years ago. When comparable cars were going for $5,000. My second CB7 had been sideswiped, but was clean everywhere else. 80,000 miles. $1,200, 14 years ago. For about a decade, starting around then, they were beaters. Now, the survivors are “classics”, and the beaters are barely road-worthy. Unfortunately, the condition you want is “classic”. For a clean 5 speed wagon, anyone with one in great condition will definitely know what they have.

Comment

A 5-speed, I'd be willing to pay more for, too. I know those are hard to find in any condition. If this guy gets back to me and I end up with this green car, I'm looking at up around $4500 for a manual wagon. And I could still cave and pay the $4,000 as-is, I don't know. I'm doing a lot of thinking on this. I'm a very patient person, but at the same time it's been so long already and now I'm so close, haha. What's a thousand dollars compared to how long I'll have this car and what I'll get out of it...

18 years ago. My RSX, at $7700, was pretty much the same age at purchase as your Accord, with body issues as well. In the seven years I've owned the thing, seeing another RSX on the road has always been a rare sight, though. I actually almost got a WRX instead, but Colorado is very much a Subaru state and they're everywhere, so for that I'm glad I didn't.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Now that you mention the RSX being uncommon, i realized that I also rarely see them! Weird!

Chances are good that you’ll spend a lot of money fixing up a CB9 that needs work, so paying more for one in great shape will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Now I’m wondering if I could find someone willing to trade a clean CB9 for my 05 Accord hybrid!

Comment

Have you considered expanding your search out of Colorado to find one that's not rusted? With Nevada, California, Arizona and New Mexico being just a few hours away, you can greatly increase your chances of finding something not rusted. I found mine on a Nationwide Craigslist search in Seattle. I had a member here go check it out, then I flew up to pick it up. Would do it that way again every time. A one-way plane ticket anywhere in the US can be less than $200 if planned correctly. Toss someone $100 for looking at a car and budget another $400 for trip expenses and you've spent another $700 to find the perfect car. My car has absolutely zero rust.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I have a handful of sites bookmarked, some with national sales (AutoTempest/SearchTempest). A neighboring state might be possible, but because of things going on at work I can't get the time off to go too far.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Chances are good that you’ll spend a lot of money fixing up a CB9 that needs work, so paying more for one in great shape will probably be cheaper in the long run.
                      There is that.
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Took me 8 years ... to find the right wagon. It had to be a 5 speed, and it had to be cobalt blue.
                        It also had to be perfect with no rust and never involved in an accident ...

I might have also settled for the Bordeaux, but again, very particular.
                        My point being, be patient .. it's really, really worth it ...

Happy searching !!!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Body condition is the main concern (even if it's rust-free, I don't want a car with tired paint), probably followed by interior color, just because that stuff would take the longest to get around to fixing. I would prefer Cobalt paint as well, but there are other exterior colors I like enough to where I wouldn't feel I was settling. I wasn't wanting to bother with a manual swap, but I've gotten past that. The work doesn't seem like as much of a hassle as I originally thought, especially with swap mounts available that eliminate the need for any welding. I have the tools and space to do it, and I'm comfortable enough with this kind of work by now.

The main point of starting this thread was to gauge your guys' opinions on a realistic idea of what a good CB is actually worth these days. Not just what I want to pay based on my decade-old view of that side of things, nor just accepting what a lot of people (dealerships, mainly) are trying to overcharge for them. I had actually warmed up to that $4k, but then didn't have the time to go down to Denver to talk to the owner in person before the ad disappeared... the unfortunate part of this hunt is that my weekdays are pretty shot for time, and if something pops up near a weekend I'll have to think and act fast. But I have been keeping an on-and-off eye on Craigslist ever since I got rid of my sedan, and wagons have popped up pretty steadily around here. I'm sure I'll find something clean in good time, and for a reasonable price.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Just another data point.

I sold my 93 LX wagon automatic, 254k, for $2100 a couple months ago. Rust between the hatch hinges had been repaired. Good tires and brakes, 6 spoke EX wheels. One quarter size spot starting on right quarter panel. Faded Seattle Silver on the roof and hood, a few dings elsewhere. Service prior to sale included timing belts, water pump, oil pan gasket, tube well seals, working power antenna, and muffler. Interior was in pretty good shape for the miles.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=208490

Fly and drive:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...941928279.html
                            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 07-31-2019, 10:51 PM.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yeah, I saw that one. It's got 167,xxx miles, so I wonder if that's the original paint. Then if not, how well was it resprayed?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/53686880

Later in the month I could probably make it work but I can't afford all the extra stuff attached to that trip soon enough. Plus, time would be tight. But I'm not in a hurry, and at least for now I'm not interested in anything not local.
                              Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-01-2019, 07:31 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X