Unexpected loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected loss of power

Let me start with how it all happened. I just got on the expressway, I was going 70mph and I was trying to pass up this car and get up to 80 so I floored it almost all the way down, and suddenly felt the car did not want to accelerate past 80 rather the rpm would shoot up but not accelerate the car any faster. I get off the expressway and I can feel the car kind off wants to die so I put it in neutral at stop lights and give it gas to keep the rpms up. At this point I'm shifting manually (it's an Auto) when starting at D1 I actually have to floor it and the rpms move up slowly once I shift it up to the next gear it still accelerates slowly up until I get to about 30 and by this time I'm in D4. To accelerate faster I have to floor it so that the rpms go up and it downshifts, the engine sounds like I'm going fast but flooring it in D4 starting from 30 just gets me to about 40 mph in like 5 sec kinda long. If I start from a stop in D4 I floor it and it would take about 10 sec to get to 20 mph by that time the rpms spike and helps the car accelerate a little faster but if i hold the pedal at half throttle it wont go past 20 mph without me flooring it, and it did actually die on me once while in D4 but it doesn't die while in park or even sound like it wants to.Also it was raining crazy today and all I was able to check was the trans fluid which was full. Plugs and wires are about 3 months old , however ever since I've changed them the car starts really hard one the first key turn ( it shakes and turns over like 2 or 3 times ) lately I turn the key all the way to pretend I'm going to start it and let go then I fully turn it all the way again it it starts like normally it should. Back then when this first started I thought it was the firing order but there were so many different ones on the internet it was confusing about it. So I drive the car to work all the time since this new plugs and wires install I did , I just want to see if someone who knows or has experienced this can tell me where to look around first. Its a 93 4dr Auto, sorry for so much I wrote but I wanted to write all I could remember.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Calling your USDM Accord "JDM" is like calling President Obama "African".

Sounds like a timing related issue, i dont know when was the last time the belt was replaced but it may have jumped a tooth. Also Transmission fluid level does not necessarily mean that the fluid is still good, i know most folks overlook transmission drain/service intervals but they exist and should not be neglected. Check a catalytic problem while you are at it, most of us do not have access to a pressure gauge to measure back pressure before and after the cat to rule out a blockage but you can check for it glowing hot after driven which is a clear signal.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Replaced the timing belt, and components. But the issue still has not not changed
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Calling your USDM Accord "JDM" is like calling President Obama "African".

Comment

When did u replace the timing belt? Also, just because you changed the timing belt, does not mean it is not a timing belt issue. If the the belt was installed out of time or if it skipped timing or the tensioner is messed up since it has been changed it it could result in what you are describing.

I would also double check your throttle cable, throttle body and any connections with the throttle pressure sensor and the he ecu.

Comment

When was the fuel filter last changed? How's your fuel pressure? If you don't have a gauge, try pinching off the return hose (the hose coming off the fuel pressure regulator on the left end of the fuel manifold) and see if it runs better (I wouldn't do this long term).
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
          X