Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: DIY seized latch fix (door stuck shut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got it fixed. The latch I pulled was from a car without auto belts so oops. I broke my window in the process and cut the crap out of my hands. This sucks major ones and if it happens again I am getting a new car.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

how did you break the window? i just rolled mine up . later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I posted a while back asking what might be the problem with my door... and was directed to this thread.

I just did this fix today and it went pretty smoothly actually. Your pictures were bang on and it didn't take long to drill out the old latch at all.

The only problem I'm having now.. is that the linkage rod going from the latch to the interior door handle isn't sitting properly and I've been spending the last 3 hours trying to get it to hook up properly. It's almost as if it's JUST too short. Has anyone else had this problem? Or any ideas?

Comment

i'd try to use the linkage rod from the old latch. later.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
            i'd try to use the linkage rod from the old latch. later.
            It is the rod from the old latch. There are 4 rods, one going to the exterior handle, one going to the interior handle, one going to the lock button and one to the lock cylinder. All of them but the one going to the interior handle are attached to the latch.

I might try ordering in a new rod, just to see if I accidently bent it, but I don't think I did.

I guess it will just take some more fidgeting or something.

Comment

awww man... why couldnt i see this earlier....

this happend to me like 2 weeks ago, didnt really kno wat was wrong/ wat to do so it cost me $140 to fix the thing.. and the shop did a bad job...
              wish i saw this earlier.. nice DIY..
              1st Car 1990 Accord Ex-R*Dead // Tow Truck
              2nd Car 1992 Integra Gs*Dead // Tree//Water
              3rd Car 1992 Accord Ex-R // Keepin For EVER!!

Comment

I had this happen to me today. Where can I bring my car to have this fixed without having a hack job done and for cheap. The write up makes good sense but I don't have the tools and space to try it myself. Its too hot out and the windows don't roll down.

Let me know where I should go to get this done. I am thinking the worse, like the Honda dealer and it would probably cost me $500+ .

Comment

Originally posted by BlackMagicCB7
                  I had this happen to me today. Where can I bring my car to have this fixed without having a hack job done and for cheap. The write up makes good sense but I don't have the tools and space to try it myself. Its too hot out and the windows don't roll down.

Let me know where I should go to get this done. I am thinking the worse, like the Honda dealer and it would probably cost me $500+ .

holy bring a thread back from the dead batman
                  Originally posted by jboyce
                  i f'd this girl last night i hadnt seen in a while...used to be cute, but when i had her naked lying on my bed i noticed she had gained alot of weight and looked like a manatee rolling around on my bed.

Comment

Yea I know its an old thread, I found the link to this on Honda-Tech.

Comment

just messin with ya.
                      Originally posted by jboyce
                      i f'd this girl last night i hadnt seen in a while...used to be cute, but when i had her naked lying on my bed i noticed she had gained alot of weight and looked like a manatee rolling around on my bed.

Comment

i know you said you didn't have the tools to do this, but you should try to borrow them from someone because it will save you a good bit of money to do i yourself.

just make sure it's the latch that is bad. sometimes a rod pops off inside the door. all the symptoms are in the first post. good luck. later.

Comment

just make sure to lube it and every other latch and hinge at least twice a year and you'll never have this problem..

think of it like this it is a moving part being opened and shut more times than you could imagine..

just use some of this stuff twice a year

Clicky Here
                          .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Type G,

Thank you for the great information, this happened to me last year and I am finally getting around to fixing it now. This has to be the most frustrating thing to ever happen with my CB7. I was able to get the door to open half way (like an inch, like in your post) but no luck in getting it to move any more than that, can you show me what exactly I should be poking or prodding at in the whole with the flathead?

Thanks so much.

Jesse

Comment

jesse, when i was moving the screwdriver around, i felt the door jump about an inch, as you described. i kept proding around in the drilled hole until it let go.

in the exploded pics, you can see a black wheel and a black arm. the two look like one piece, but the black arm is what you have to push down to allow the black wheel to rotate, releasing the door. later.

Comment

i did this but im having a problem that not too complicated. I can only open my door when i put my key in and hold it to the open position then my door will open. Also when sitting in my car the latch pops up and goes back down but not all the way to lock but the door wont open I know wat it is, its the thing that you have to screw on the rod coming from the exterior door handle to the latch its not adjusted right, anybody know how many turns is is supposed to be set at?

Comment

Working...
                                X