Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How can I go about repairing this rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Jarrett's idea of getting a donor car shipped to you is a good one. That would truly be the best way to go about getting everything you need. Parting out the car will allow you to recoup a fair amount of the expense, if not all of it. Do it right, and that method would be cheaper than getting lower-quality aftermarket replacement panels. It'll just take longer and require more work.

I wouldn't trust the repair to anyone but a highly skilled body repair person. Done improperly, the rust will return along the weld points (I had that happen myself.) If the car means something to you and you want it fixed properly, a quality repair professional is worth every penny.
    Just keep in mind that time is your enemy here. The rust will continue to spread. My friend had rear quarter panel rust on his CB7. He wanted to repair it, but he put it off for "just one more winter". The rust spread up and under his rear window, inflating his repair bill to over $4000. The work was definitely worth it, and it looked beautiful when complete... but he had probably exceeded the value of his car (by about double) in that repair! If you're going to do it right, it's going to cost... and you'll NEVER see that money again. Granted, it's the only way to have your car properly and reliably repaired... and that's worth more than the car's blue book value.

GTRON's suggestion isn't a bad one. A temporary fix that makes the car look better is a good alternative to just letting it rot away. It will likely continue to rot under the temporary repair, but at least you won't have to watch it happen. If you decide that a proper professional repair isn't worth the cost, then I'd probably go with that method.
    Just don't do a band-aid repair with the expectation of getting it fixed properly in the future... because the chances of the proper fix costing a lot more then (like with my friend's car) are very likely.
    Yeah I certainly made the mistake of letting it sit for "just one more winter" to the point where theres a visible hole beside my tail light. I really love this car, Seems that I might have to go the bandaid route until the day the car is done for. I would love to buy more panels but I can't weld very well.

on another note, I sent these pics to a local autobody repair shop, The guy said the estimate is about $500-$600 and the rust is guranteed not to come back for 10 years. Seems kinda sketchy to me, what do you guys think? I asked what the process is and he didnt reply yet which is odd.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

Probably just a welded patch, which is more likely to fail. Still, with the warranty, it's not bad. As long as the warranty means returning the car to fully repaired condition. If you have to pay to repaint when they fix the metal again, it's not a great deal.

Comment

Another thing I was wondering, If you grind all the rust away, and body filler it, and prime & paint it, wouldn't that seal it off and stop the rust? Where does it come back from if its been ground off to bare shiny metal and sealed?

Comment

Probably just a welded patch, which is more likely to fail. Still, with the warranty, it's not bad. As long as the warranty means returning the car to fully repaired condition. If you have to pay to repaint when they fix the metal again, it's not a great deal.
          He got back to me, 5 year warranty, and He said either new panels can be welded in, or fiberglass patches can be used, then he asked me what I prefer. So whaddya think? worth it or nah?

Comment

Is painting included in that price? Both the initial job and if he ever has to redo it under warranty?

Comment

Is painting included in that price? Both the initial job and if he ever has to redo it under warranty?
              Yeah he said full repair + paint free of charge if the rust returns.

Comment

I'd say that's a good deal, as long as he'll stay in business and honor the warranty for that time!

Comment

They don't figure on people keeping cars for more than a few years. Get it in writing!
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

That's a great price! I'd go with that, and make sure he does good work!
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

So I went to a guy closer to me, the guy who fixed the crack on my CB7's bumper. He did a great job with that. He said that he can fix the major rust spots (wheel wells, tail light, any surrounding areas) for $600 and it wont come back. He's going to cut out the metal and replace it. He said to leave the smaller rust spots for now and decide later what I want to do with them. He says the color blending is difficult on frost white hondas and it wont look perfectly correct but he will try his best. He also said he can repaint the entire car and fix every single rust spot for $1500, but I told him I'm gonna have to pass on that. What do you guys think?

Comment

Will he back up his claim? If it comes back in 18 months, will he fix it again (and properly?) If so, go for it. If not... it's your call. If it comes back, it could be worse... creeping up in places that are REALLY difficult to fix. It might come back to the point where it's not worth fixing. It might also be fine. It's a risk. If the guy will stand by his work, then I'd say give it a shot. $1500 is actually a good deal for everything, honestly. I expect I'll be paying more to have my Miata fixed up, and that really just needs very minor blemish correction and a respray!

Comment

Working...
                        X