No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about buying a Subaru SVX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell, I've even considered a supercharged Buick!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      Hell, I've even considered a supercharged Buick!

those supercharged rietta's (i think its the rietta, or regal) are bad ass, my neighbor has one. looks kinda like a spaceship

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
      Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
      NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

merkur xr4ti

can be had for less than $4000 in great shape
        RWD
        independent 4-wheel suspension
        auto or manual
        turbo 2.3 making 175hp stock, easily bumped up to 225hp with an adjustable actuator
        loaded (power everything, heated seats, a/c and heater, rear wiper, etc)
        one of the most aerodynamic cars you'll find
        comfortable at over 140mph as well as 70mph
        20mpg or more
        easy to find parts (a lot of ford parts are interchangeable like honda, nissan, etc)
        good engine.....GREAT when the crank is balanced

we've had 7.....my 12 second daily driver was one of my favorite cars......plenty of room for 4 people, plenty of whatever you want
        ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

and deev, if you get a Z...

now i say this with the most respect,

but i will find out exactly where you live, and slap you across the face, firm back hand.

lol jk,

but take it from a former Z owner, they're SHIT. I had an NA

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
          Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
          NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

The SVX was a pretty cool car in its day. Of course, to each his/her own, but in response to your initial post to see if anyone knew where you could find a good example of an SVX at a good price, I have some thoughts to share.

I think you'll find some really good examples of gently used SVXes here in the Pacific Northwest. Subarus are one of the top selling vehicles in this region and the company has long had a loyal fan base here. Because the SVX was quite expensive in its day ($30Ks), its buyers were mostly Baby Boomers who tend to keep their cars for a long time. So, what you'll find here quite regularly, are one- (or even two-) owner cars that are in really great condition. Unlike the Northeast, where people tend to love their Subies, we do not use road salt here in the Northwest so most of the cars in our area do not have corrosion issues. If you can find one like that, I think you'd be getting yourself a great buy. Often times, they'll come with a complete vehicle history since they've changed hands so few times and you'll know the whole history on the car, which is always great because you'll know that the major stuff has been taken care of already and that you'll be buying something that someone took the time and effort to keeping it in good shape. I see them here quite regularly listed in the Wheel Deals (Nickel Nik) that are private party sellers and they're usually going for what you're looking to spend b/c they're not that easy to sell. The market just isn't there to appreciate the car's quirkiness.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, good luck with your search!

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
              merkur xr4ti

can be had for less than $4000 in great shape
              RWD
              independent 4-wheel suspension
              auto or manual
              turbo 2.3 making 175hp stock, easily bumped up to 225hp with an adjustable actuator
              loaded (power everything, heated seats, a/c and heater, rear wiper, etc)
              one of the most aerodynamic cars you'll find
              comfortable at over 140mph as well as 70mph
              20mpg or more
              easy to find parts (a lot of ford parts are interchangeable like honda, nissan, etc)
              good engine.....GREAT when the crank is balanced

we've had 7.....my 12 second daily driver was one of my favorite cars......plenty of room for 4 people, plenty of whatever you want
              I always think of the Merkur... they're SO rare around my way. I've seen 2 in my lifetime, and it may have been the same one. If I ever see one close enough to home to truly check it out properly, that's definitely one to consider. It's got the uncommon factor that I like, and the ease and affordability of repair that I want (being mostly Ford).

I've actually been leaning towards something German now... mostly BMW. I've noticed some decent early to mid 90s BMW 3 and 5 series in my price range. Mileage is fairly high on some (not all) but that's not always a bad thing with quality cars. They aren't exactly uncommon (except the 90 325 iX that I found... AWD) but still luxury and performance.

Dammit Justin... you may be right... but not because I'm fickle (well, somewhat). I'm changing my mind (maybe) because of the very good arguments posed by members with experience.

Comment

go to the auctions with your dad. RX-7's sell for less than $500 in EXCELLENT condition. I was shocked the first time I saw a mint 86 roll through with 130k and I got it for $400....we sold it on the dealership lot for $4000 Dealer usually hate the Rx-7's for some reason (don't know shit about rotaries) so they sell dirt cheap! I'd look into that a little more.

My Accord History:
                91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

I found a $4000 94 325i 5 speed at a lot nearby... If I manage to get rid of my crap cars quickly, I may consider that. I could probably get them down to $3500, drop $1000, and have a VERY low payment for 3 years (or until I pay it off, which is certainly going to be sooner than 3 years.)

I'm very tempted

Of course, I could also just save my money, pay to get my driveway paved, and make the H22 a little more powerful... I don't know what it is about this time of year. I always want to get a second car! (86 hatchback 2 years ago, 92 DX last year... got my good CB7 in April 01... bought a 75 Grand Am back in April 99... never drove it, but I had it!)

Comment

I found a $4000 94 325i 5 speed at a lot nearby... If I manage to get rid of my crap cars quickly, I may consider that. I could probably get them down to $3500, drop $1000, and have a VERY low payment for 3 years (or until I pay it off, which is certainly going to be sooner than 3 years.)

I'm very tempted

Of course, I could also just save my money, pay to get my driveway paved, and make the H22 a little more powerful... I don't know what it is about this time of year. I always want to get a second car! (86 hatchback 2 years ago, 92 DX last year... got my good CB7 in April 01... bought a 75 Grand Am back in April 99... never drove it, but I had it!)
                    Deev you're hilarious man...but yea, I guess like women get in heat around this time of year dudes go crazy for their toys.

Of the myriad of choices you've mentioned I'd go with either the Merkur or an old school Beemer. The E30 3-series were beautiful cars, and although their rear suspensions were kinda weird (picture a huge heavy arm with a spring and shock sitting on it...it was one link!!!!) they're light as shit, even with the 2.5L L6, and while they're no rockets from the factory, with a cam (they're SOHC too) swap and some high compression slugs you can have a decent car on the cheap, like a CB7 but RWD. The only problem with them is I'm pretty sure by now they have rust issues and I think they've always had electrical issues...

As far as the Merkurs, there's a shop by me that specializes in them, so I'm sure they'd know of somebody selling one. Also, there's an Alfa Romeo repair shop...but they're always fixing the cars, so I dunno.

Good luck in whatever you choose though

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yeah, ARs are cool, but they make repairing a BMW look like repairing a Ford in terms of cost!

The 325 I was looking at (and I'm still tempted) was the newer style, not the tissue box look. Weighs in at about 2950 or so, so it's about the same as a CB7. The motor makes about 290hp (a little less, perhaps) and more torque than my H22, so it'd probably be a more powerful car right out of the box. I'd consider adding a QUIET exhaust system to it, perhaps a cam upgrade (not sure if it's SOHC or DOHC... I didn't research much yet), and whatever else I can do to make more power without compromising drivability.

Regardless, Meg won't let me get ANYTHING until I unload the hatchie and the husk of the DX, so there's no rush!

Comment

Yeah, ARs are cool, but they make repairing a BMW look like repairing a Ford in terms of cost!

The 325 I was looking at (and I'm still tempted) was the newer style, not the tissue box look. Weighs in at about 2950 or so, so it's about the same as a CB7. The motor makes about 290hp (a little less, perhaps) and more torque than my H22, so it'd probably be a more powerful car right out of the box. I'd consider adding a QUIET exhaust system to it, perhaps a cam upgrade (not sure if it's SOHC or DOHC... I didn't research much yet), and whatever else I can do to make more power without compromising drivability.

Regardless, Meg won't let me get ANYTHING until I unload the hatchie and the husk of the DX, so there's no rush!
                        Ummm... unless it's built, there isn't a 325i that I know of that makes 290HP. More like 180-215 depending on year. Maybe a little less for some of the really older ones.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Deev go for it man you wont be disappointed. My friends has one with a center diff switch so that you can turn of the center diff. RWD!!. Also in japan they have manual svx's. I as far as i know other than wiring dropping a sti motor isnt to bad either. I'll get you some info to ad you decision.

P.s. Still got the hatch?
                          SuddenCb7 - 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Comment

MIke, you're cracking me up here! You've got the itch to get a new car so bad, just be careful not to get too excited and get a junker or get yourself into a situation that you don't want to be in. A 2nd car is a great idea but I'd get something that you can pay cash for it'll be over and done with. Decide if you want the H22 Accord or this new car to be your daily driver. You may want another car to be your fun car and keep the Accord as-is for a few years. Being the owner of the site and all, I hope you choose the CB as your project car and just get a reliable but still sporty daily driver. Good luck in your search!

My Accord History:
                            91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

i plan to drive both daily... that's how it was with the dx... basically drove one when the other was low on gas... made for an expensive couple trips to the gas station though!

And yeah, that was a typo on the hp... 190 is what I meant to say. Basically, H22 CB7 power and weight (slightly heavier, slightly more torque).

Comment

"I think I'll buy another car so that I feel like I'm saving on gas!" - freakin genious

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                                X