• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad to see the motivation is still alive
    "Self Renewed"

Comment

Before clear, I got the letters sanded down to 1000-grit:

After clear. I tried to repair an old cracked plug cover I kept laying around but, whether it was just a poor-quality primer or something else, I tried starting twice but the primer keeps cracking (or rather looks like it's slipping off) before it can dry and it turns out horrible. Sanding didn't seem to help in getting a second coat on to fill the cracks. I got one shot in with the poor finished product put on, but I'll just order a new one. At least you can see the gist of what it will look like on the car; I stuck the shaved wire cover on there as well for the sake of the photo.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Comment

Anyone know of a quality wrinkle red spray paint? I picked up a spare valve cover for the RSX today I want to do up in Honda's signature color. After seeing many wrinkle red covers in the junkyards peeling like crazy, I'm not sure I want to just run to AutoZone for VHT. Also, I don't like when they turn out glossy; Honda's own definitely don't shine.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

that H22 valve cover is sexy

Comment

Finally got the K cover done, now that it's not so frigid cold out. I ended up getting VHT high heat ceramic paint in flat red. It doesn't turn out quite as dark as on the cap, and it oversprays like crazy. It looks decent enough though. I need to replace a coil bolt and get a coil cover before I want to mount it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

looking good, I gotta upload my pics of the k series valve covers.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  Finally got the K cover done, now that it's not so frigid cold out. I ended up getting VHT high heat ceramic paint in flat red. It doesn't turn out quite as dark as on the cap, and it oversprays like crazy. It looks decent enough though. I need to replace a coil bolt and get a coil cover before I want to mount it.

Red? that's super orange! I'm guessing your phone camera is a little off lol!
                  BTW I think the orange looks far better then red, and will go with the silver color of the car better IMO.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Yeah, the camera can't quite capture it. It's a bit orange in some lights, but more of a pale brick red or dark salmon color. Should be unique, at least, but definitely not what I was aiming for. Once my stock valve cover is off, I'm sure I'll eventually do something different with that one. Or maybe I'll scuff this one up a bit and just paint over it.

The paint has yet to completely harden though, so I wonder if this ceramic stuff ever will.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-09-2016, 11:26 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I strip the factory silver completely, wire wheel, prime paint and clear the cover. The factory paint doesn't hold up well

Comment

Revive
                        "Self Renewed"

Comment

On the subject, I'm wanting to start going junkyard hunting to collect all the different Honda valve covers. Paint them all white with sanded lettering, then hang them up in the garage. My idea of art! I never did get to mounting that red cover on my RSX (I don't like the result), and I still have an F22 cover I painted for a friend's CB that he ended up getting rid of, so those will probably be the first contributions.

And since I didn't post my third H22 valve cover in this thread: it's just some candy red hot rod spray paint from AutoZone that I decided on after not wanting to attempt DIY wrinkle.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That’s a nice cover. Awesome job with masking etc. also. I actually prefer the glossy painted or powder coated look on the valve covers. Do you know of a glossy blue that is a color match to the blue H/F valve covers?
                            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

I can't remember seeing any of the main high-temp/engine enamel brands in stores carrying anything close enough to that shade of blue. For my BMW Monaco Blue cover, I got the paint from Automotive Touch-Up and sprayed it between layers of high-temp primer and clear, but as my engine isn't yet running I can't vouch for that 'protection' allowing body paint to hold up to the heat. They'd probably be the best place to go looking for different blues, though, if you know of a factory color from any car manufacturer that looks close - off the top of my head, maybe Ford's "Blue Jeans Metallic" that they have on the new F150s. I've never seen an OEM blue valve cover in person, though.

And yeah, it bugs me a bit when people don't properly mask and just spray over all the little bolt and rubber surfaces. It doesn't look factory that way, but I guess if the painter isn't going for that look (it's all hidden when the cover's installed anyway) that's their decision.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

Is that all hand painted? Or some sort of overlay?

Comment

Working...
                                X