Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 accord hard to start when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 accord hard to start when cold

whenever i let my 91 accord sit for more than a hour it has a hard time starting. to get it to start you have to mess with the gas pedal to get it to fire. generally speaking on these accords what are the most likely causes of this problem?

check fuel filters i had this problem and replacing filters cleared it up
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by jjhdz89 View Post
      check fuel filters i had this problem and replacing filters cleared it up
      will check. thanks!

Comment

any other suggestions?

Comment

well did you ever try replacing the fuel filter?

Comment

Let the key sit in the on position for several seconds (5 should be good) before trying to start the car. It gives the fuel pump time to prime/pressurize the fuel system.

You could always check/clean all your grounds, thats free.

How old are your plugs, wires, distributer cap & rotor?
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
              Let the key sit in the on position for several seconds (5 should be good) before trying to start the car. It gives the fuel pump time to prime/pressurize the fuel system.

You could always check/clean all your grounds, thats free.

How old are your plugs, wires, distributer cap & rotor?
              ive tryed that sometimes i dont hear the fuel pump priming (who knwos my ears could be bad). plugs, wires, and dizzy are all new within the past 6 months.

Comment

Intermittent starting problems can also be caused by the pgfi main relay going bad. Over time the solder connections crack (not visible without a microsope typically). You can refurbish it, by resoldering each component/part one by one (the cheapest option), or you can purchase a new one from honda for about $40. Although main relay starting symptoms typically occur when its hot outside.
                Last edited by cloudasc; 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM.
                PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I do not think it is the messing with the gas pedal that is getting the car to start...more likely the time it takes to mess with the pedal builds gas pressure.

it could be a weakening seal in the fuel pump...someone mentioned this in another similar thread/problem, that guy had to do what was also suggested in this thread...turn the key on and sit for a second. Also wanna check the main relay like cloudasc said.

I'm also guessing it is that since it does this right after you turn the car off...one hour is not long enough to fully cool down.

If it ONLY did this when the engine was cold I would lean towards something else.
                  ____

Comment

it is not the main relay and yes it only does it when engine is cold. starts right up when engine is still warm tho

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                      I do not think it is the messing with the gas pedal that is getting the car to start...more likely the time it takes to mess with the pedal builds gas pressure.

it could be a weakening seal in the fuel pump...someone mentioned this in another similar thread/problem, that guy had to do what was also suggested in this thread...turn the key on and sit for a second. Also wanna check the main relay like cloudasc said.

I'm also guessing it is that since it does this right after you turn the car off...one hour is not long enough to fully cool down.

If it ONLY did this when the engine was cold I would lean towards something else.
                      and i am 100% it is the gas pedal that lets me start it cause if i didnt it will stall out right away or jsut keep cranking

Comment

i had this issue with my turbo'd cb9. The car would take a bit to start if i just sat there and cranked it. Even if i let the pump prime till the CEL went off. But if I tried to start it with the pedal to the floor, it would start immediately. Never did figure it out but it did bug me. Good luck figuring it out cause i would LOVE to know what it was

Comment

going to try replacing the coolant temperature sensor today because i also noticed my temp gauge doesnt work and i had to pull the fuse on my coolign fan because it would keep runnin even with car off and keys out killing my battery. i heard of all of these problems relating to the ect sensor and its only a 25 dollar part so worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                          X