No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up two quarts of dot 3 brake fluid since I'm replacing the front calipers. $5.48.

4 16oz foam engine degreaser aerosol cans for the engine compartment. $5.28.

A1 Cardone brake calipers with rust prevention treatment. $53.58.

Pcv valve. $1.95.

Sway bar end links, Moog, got these on sale! Both sides. $9.42.

Brake hardware kit. $5.58.

$113.46 with core for one brake caliper returned.

This should conclude all suspension, brake and related work this car will need in the near future. After this I'll dive into the engine bay and take care of everything there. Then following that cosmetics.

Current grand total $223.54.

Comment

Worked on it a little more tonight. Got the passenger side broke down. Everything is broke loose. Ready to be taken out and the CV shaft replaced.

Comment

4 cans of foam engine degreaser, 2 quarts of brake fluid and a caliper arrived.

The caliper came with the rail. I thought it did but I'm super glad to see it for sure. It's coated just like it said on Rockauto. Pretty neat.

Comment

Ready to go on the brakes. Will have everything installed on Sunday.

Comment

When I bought this car the previous owner informed me that it has a small coolant leak somewhere. I can see that it has a couple hoses replaced in the engine compartment however they used non-molded hose. So I decided I need to replace as many hoses as I could as try to stay with molded hoses as much as possible.

Turns out RockAuto has a lot of molded hoses in sale right now.

I also noticed the water neck off the front of the block that attaches to the upper radiator hose has red rtv all over the mating surface. So I got a seal to address that.

The PO also told me that it needs a new egr valve which is why the check engine light comes on after driving for a while. So I'm going to take it off and see if I can clean it. Got a gasket for that.

The distributor leaks a bit. Got a seal for that.

Rear brake pads were on sale. Been waiting for that to happen. Got those.

Got the counter balance shaft seal retainer kit. It was shipping from the same warehouse as the other stuff.

Also picked up Gates upper and lower radiator hoses for the same reason.

Going to clean the throttle body as well.

Picked up everything for $67.56 shipped.

Current Grand Total $291.10

Comment

I got it back together today unexpectedly. I guess I left the key on about a week ago and the battery was dead as a door nail. So I haven't drove it yet today. I put the charger on it and will drive it for the first time since tearing it down within a couple hours.

Comment

My battery charger indicated that the battery was bad. So I had to get a new battery. It was like $140. Ouch. Interstate battery was closed. Unfortunately I had to get one from Advance Auto. But oh well.

Took it for a drive. It did ok. It Honda idled when cold. Have to figure that out. Not too worried but it's annoying. Motor mounts are worn. Something else that's annoying. But, the brakes are excellent. And no more wobbling. The new CV shafts made a big difference.

I'm pleased all in all. Just have a lot of engine work to do now.

Comment

Some parts arrived. Still waiting on quite a few.

Comment

Honda idled...good one. Made me chuckle a bit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                      Honda idled...good one. Made me chuckle a bit.
                      I heard that on here a while back actually.

Comment

I'm about to just go ahead and finish this up. I have a friend/coworker needing a practical, reliable automobile that's fuel efficient, cheap to insure and most of all something easy to work on. And I'm wanting to get a different daily as I only have so much space.

Biggest task is the timing belt. Everything else isn't too bad.

The driver side window has a hard time rolling up and down and gets stuck sometimes. Thinking it might just need a new motor.

The potential new owner has requested that the stereo has at least an aux input which the current Sony does. Speakers are also upgraded from stock. By previous owner. Only thing I need to do is put in a single din stereo install kit.

Still need to redo the headliner. That won't be fun. But, it is what it is.

The rear deck will also need reupholstered.

Since I'm replacing practically every coolant hose I'm going to flush the coolant system and replace the radiator. After the flush I'm going to do the timing belt as that will be a prime time to pull the water pump. Pentofrost A 3 blue coolant will be going in.

I checked the cel tonight. Sure enough it the codes 12 and 14. Iacv was me. Egr valve was what I was looking for however. I'm hoping a new egr valve will fix the issue.

I found a new Standard brand dizzy cap.

While the radiator is out is a prime time to replace the front torque mount/ motor mount.

And going to replace the fuel filter.

I'm going to drain and fill 3 or 4 quarts of Genuine Honda dw1 atf. From past experiences that firms up the shifts a bit.

The battery was $146.00 so I need to figure that in.

Current grand total. $437.10

The car was $700 so I have a total of $1137.00. Once completed I'm selling it for $1500. That's what I said and I'm keeping my word. So that leaves $363 to break even which I intend to try to do.

On Friday I'm picking up the radiator, fuel filter, radiator flush, 4 gallons of blue antifreeze, front engine mount, egr valve, front window motor, and dizzy cap. All from Rock Auto. So that runs me $330. Which leaves just enough to do the drain and fill on the transmission.

Might go over budget just a little but that's ok. It's for a friend. And we all know that automobiles are the worst investment a person can make anyway so coming close to breaking even is doing well.

Some parts arrived late last week.

Comment

I put 500 miles on this car and it hasn't lost a bit of antifreeze. I was going to put a new radiator in it but it doesn't need it. I'll stick with replacing the hoses which I have. As well as the thermostat which I also have.

I purchased a new EGR valve tonight. As well as an AC Delco driver side window regulator and motor assembly. I'd have went cheaper but this car is going to a friend. I bought the best Rock Auto had.

Fram fuel filter.

And a Standard brand distributor cap.

I also bought 8 quarts of Genuine Honda DW1 ATF.

Now that I have everything it should be good to go.

Comment

Nice, and a lot of work here. Will definitely be reliable.
                            Sooo your friend is going to give it back to you when he's done ? Or it's a very kind gesture for your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              Nice, and a lot of work here. Will definitely be reliable.
                              Sooo your friend is going to give it back to you when he's done ? Or it's a very kind gesture for your friend.
                              My friend is a coworker. He has always lived in the city and relied on public transportation, uber, taxi's or friends. Never owning a car before he mentioned that he's going to need to acquire a vehicle by about the end of the year. Knowing how reliable and cheap these cars are I offered to sell him this car. So he's in the process of getting his license and I'm in the process of completing the maintenance so he doesn't have to worry about it. I won't break even but I'll be close. I think I'll lose couple hundred but that's ok.

I've been driving it to work every day for weeks and working on it on my days off.

Comment

More parts arrived.

Comment

Working...
                                X