Fans Not Working at All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans Not Working at All

Both fans are not working on my car, and I'm having to pour in lots of coolant in this Atlanta heat. I tested both fan motors for resistance and they are fine. Fuses and relays are fine as I swapped them out with known working parts. Coolant temperature sensor was replace in 2012. No CEL is coming up for this. Temperature gauge IS working when driving car. Only slightly overheated once so far. When I push the AC button, it does NOT light up and fans do NOT some on.

Is this likely a coolant fan switch? I tested resistance for one in from and nothing came up. It is original..

this is the one i tested, circled in red

http://soft-haus.com/blog/wp-content...0_modified.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ontheroad92 View Post
      this is the one i tested, circled in red

http://soft-haus.com/blog/wp-content...0_modified.jpg
      I think that is the sensor that goes to the dash board water temp guage. The one that controls the fan is behind the engine block on the thermostat housing.
      ==========================
      1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
      1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
      Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
      Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
      Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

The one circled in red is the higher temperature switch, there is a similar looking one back by the thermostat housing. The sensor for the temp gauge is on the end of the head with just a single wire going to it.

If you tested the switch with the engine cool, neither one will be "closed" and should show an open circuit. The engine would have to be good and hot to have one or both switches closed (showing very low resistance). One way to check the circuits is to put a jumper wire across the connector to see if the fans kick on.

If your AC refrigerant is low, the AC pressure switch (directly behind the driver side high beam) will prevent the fans from coming on and the AC compressor clutch from engaging. You can check that circuit as well by pushing the AC switch, then jumping the AC pressure switch connector briefly; the compressor clutch should engage and both fans should come on.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

fleetwood, i havent used ac in it since 2004 when i could no longer get r12 refrigerant. never bothered to convert it. i won't be using ac anyways. fans still ran for years. will i need to do that conversion?

i'm not getting anything from either fan switch with the car off and cool or with battery on.

sorry, really clueless with this one! trying to learn here.

Comment

Working...
          X