Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Difference between the D4,D3,D2,D1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between the D4,D3,D2,D1?

I think I remember being told you use a certain one when you are going up a hill.

If its an auto tranny you are talking about ( i don't know any other d 1-4s) They are just your gears so if you are crawling really slow up a mega steep hill, you use 1 and high speed cruising on the highway would be D 4 or just D. For in between applications, use in between gears.

Comment

a 5spd is more fun going up a hill though.

Comment

^yeah, especially if youre stopped at the top of it

D4 is the regular driving gear equivalent to 4th(or 5th) gear in an MT. It allows the car to shift through all gears. D3 only allows shiftage to 3rd gear. Now 2 and 1 are for uphill and down hill. i believe 2nd is for downhill cuz its low speeds but high rpms' and 1st is for uphill....i think i could be wrong. But if you have an AT and an awsome exhaust(like i have) you slow to about 45 or 50 and drop it into 2..its super loud and has that MT "top-o-the gear" sound

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

just put it in drive and hit the gas. but i wouldnt know about hills with a MT im from new orleans the only hills we have here are levees and even they arent very tall and you cant drive on them
          92 Accord LX coupe

JDM H22A w/lsd
          I.H.E <nuthin to pricey
          stage3 dual friction CF clutch
          fuel pressure regulator
          tokico blues all around
          eibach SL's in front/PK in back
          16'' Konig Holes wrapped in Kuhmo 712's
          Powerslot rotors in front w/ebc pads

Comment

D4 - allows the tranny to use all four foward gears at its discretion.

D3 - basically the same as D4 except that it can only use gears 1,2 and 3. This mode prevents if from using 4th gear. Even once the car hits redline.

2 - This locks the car into second gear only. It will start out in 2nd gear and stay there until you shift it out of 2. This is good in slippery conditions where 1st gear would ordinarily spin the tires.

1 - This locks the car in 1st gear only. Can be used if you need to keep it in first for some reason, or when "manual" shifting the auto tranny. It can't shift out of first gear until you move the shift lever to some other setting.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

brilliant,

i have an auto

does anyone always tend to spin one tire more than the other???

Comment

No...i used 2nd form time to time, but i never do that shift thing. its either 2nd or D4, lol. I use 2nd and occassionally 1st in the snow

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                Originally posted by Jarrett
                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
                  ^yeah, especially if youre stopped at the top of it

D4 is the regular driving gear equivalent to 4th(or 5th) gear in an MT. It allows the car to shift through all gears. D3 only allows shiftage to 3rd gear. Now 2 and 1 are for uphill and down hill. i believe 2nd is for downhill cuz its low speeds but high rpms' and 1st is for uphill....i think i could be wrong. But if you have an AT and an awsome exhaust(like i have) you slow to about 45 or 50 and drop it into 2..its super loud and has that MT "top-o-the gear" sound
                  he's got the point......d4 is 3sp automatic with the 4th speed as overdrive....
                  d2 is for down hill and d1 is for up hill.....d1 is for really steep up hill where you would need the torque of the motor to pull u up and over......were d2 is for down hill were you dont want the car to roll down in the hill to fast in gear....it slows the car down a bit.....but yah, simple

Comment

EH, those gears are speed rated aswell. The original owners Manual has a nice breakdown INCLUDING the max speed you should travel in the d1,d2, and d3 setting. What Ive heard so far sounds like the correct usage, but if you realy want I can go dig the manual outta my accord. I wouldnt push the speeds in those lower gears.
                    I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira_kj
                      EH, those gears are speed rated aswell. The original owners Manual has a nice breakdown INCLUDING the max speed you should travel in the d1,d2, and d3 setting. What Ive heard so far sounds like the correct usage, but if you realy want I can go dig the manual outta my accord. I wouldnt push the speeds in those lower gears.
                      The gears aren't really speed rated, at least not in terms of those speeds listed in the owners manual. Those recommendations in the owners manual are simply there to help insure that Honda is covered if you do something stupid.

The tranny is perfectly capable of rev limit shifts in every single gear. So is the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 92acc
                        brilliant,

i have an auto

does anyone always tend to spin one tire more than the other???
                        Racing or flooring my auto yes, uness you have LSD which wasn't equipped on our US motors stock. A LSD helps even out the power transfered to the wheels and helps eliminate "peg-legging" some people say. Manually shifting my car I usually feel my drivers side wheel grabbing first after a high rpm shift. From a stop and flooring it, I can feel sometimes slippage alternating on both sides but normally the drivers side will grab the ground first b4 the passenger catches up.
                        I need a custom turbo manifold built....
                        707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
                        "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                        '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

The "speeds" are really for mountain driving; save your brakes, allows you to make use of engine braking.
                          -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                          1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

I dont know about if it locks your gears to what you have it set to, If i can remember, whenever i was in D2 and started to redline, it would automatically shift into 3rd. I think its a safety feature..not sure though

Comment

Originally posted by Keleka
                              I dont know about if it locks your gears to what you have it set to, If i can remember, whenever i was in D2 and started to redline, it would automatically shift into 3rd. I think its a safety feature..not sure though

It locks it into the gear you have selected if it is set in 1 or 2. It will not upshift, it will not downshift.

It will bounce off of the rev limit all day long if you so choose.

One of the nice things about Honda. They still believe in driver control, even if they are stupid.

The rev limit is already a safety net anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X