Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can a bad starter drain your battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a bad starter drain your battery?

Ive had this problem going on with my battery getting drained down. I had my car tested and it was the alternator according to autozone. I replaced the alternator, and the battery also. But im still having this problem..

When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping and eventually stay at zero, and eventually the car starts sputtering and it is dead as a doornail..

Im at a complete loss here, so ive asked all the help i can find, and someone told me that a starter can have a problem where it drains power while the car is running, and not just to start it..

can someone please help me, and/or kill me? thanks..
    92 lx
    automatic
    slow

but its clean!..kinda

also, i had the new alternator tested on the machine before i bought it, and it was good. the belt has good tension also.

i can jump start the car, and let it sit there and run, but it dies in a few minutes
    92 lx
    automatic
    slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

I'm having the same problem, I forgot which thread i read in but the starter had something to do with it....so check that out...wish i could help you out more but too cold to fix mine..

Comment

it will pull more amps while cranking because the windings aren't as effecient.

Add to that, it will take longer to crank as well...so another increase in pull.

So yes...it will. But only at startup.

This prolly won't REALLY drain your battery or cause a "battery" problem because once the engine starts the alternator charges the battery.

It IS a problem during cold starts because you need all the juice you can (like freezing temps) so that extra pull could sap your batter before the engine fires up.
        ____

Comment

There are a lot of items that can cause a drain on the battery, but it sounds more to me like you've got an open circuit. The only way a starter would drain the battery while the car is running is if the starter was stuck on and kept spinning constantly. It sound like for whatever reason, your alternator isn't charging your battery. Check all your connections, and check everything you can get to with a continuity tester.
          ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
          '93 EX 5-speed coupe
          Short ram intake
          Tenrai Himoto catback
          Smashed front end
          Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

My starter was shity when I got my car. In the end the started died. And the battery was was ruined from being strained so much. The battery would charge up but not hold the charge for very long.
            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by punkrockimport
              When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping..
              I had the same problem with the same symptoms twice. Both times it was my alternator

Comment

Originally posted by Chans
                I had the same problem with the same symptoms twice. Both times it was my alternator
                Yeah the alternator will power everything with the car on. The battery is just for starting the car.
                wat?

Comment

the starter cant really drain battery unless its stuck on the start position but then u probably wudnt be able to start the car again with tht starter unless u hit it...
                  the best way to test ur battery is to start the car leave it on for a while an then unplug ur battery, the car shud run fine because ur alternator makes ur power while the car is on , the battery jus starts ur car pretty much. if the alternator is ok an ur battery holds power than u have an open circuit somewhere , or something robbin power somewhere...
                  I sell slightly used tires for cheap, jus pm me what u need!

Hp sells cars, Tq wins races ....
                  - 95 Camaro (beast) TOTALED
                  - 92 Camaro RS (fixer-upper) SOLD
                  -92 Accord LX (slammed) SOLD
                  - 95 Jetta (VR-SEX) CURRENT DD

Comment

Originally posted by punkrockimport
                    Ive had this problem going on with my battery getting drained down. I had my car tested and it was the alternator according to autozone. I replaced the alternator, and the battery also. But im still having this problem..

When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping and eventually stay at zero, and eventually the car starts sputtering and it is dead as a doornail..

Im at a complete loss here, so ive asked all the help i can find, and someone told me that a starter can have a problem where it drains power while the car is running, and not just to start it..

can someone please help me, and/or kill me? thanks..
                    Bring the alternator back to the place and get another one. Make sure its good. Sometimes a good part is a bad part. The starter draws a lot of current but doesnt drain. Even if your key is in the "start" position it wouldnt stay there since it will just spring back to on. The alternator would have to be cranking for a good while before your battery finally drains. Sounds like its either your battery isnt holding charge (kinda hard if its new) or the regulator is being a bitch on the alternator. Another thing to check sometimes alternator cables the output wire doesnt get clipped on tight and loosens. Make sure its on there plugged in all the way. I had that issue for my car because the alternator I got had a diff clip but I used a zip tie and now it works just fine.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
                      Yeah the alternator will power everything with the car on. The battery is just for starting the car.
                      If the battery is JUST FOR STARTING the car then where does the alternator source it's power from, and where does it return the power to???
                      Please explain in detail for us less informed folk.

Comment

the alternator makes power/energy from the belt tht runs on its pulley and it doesnt return power anywhere, the cars electrical demand uses the power it makes (your headlights, stereo, interior lights, for example)
                        I sell slightly used tires for cheap, jus pm me what u need!

Hp sells cars, Tq wins races ....
                        - 95 Camaro (beast) TOTALED
                        - 92 Camaro RS (fixer-upper) SOLD
                        -92 Accord LX (slammed) SOLD
                        - 95 Jetta (VR-SEX) CURRENT DD

Comment

Coils, magnetic force, More magnetic force more voltage. Easy.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by F22-GURU
                            If the battery is JUST FOR STARTING the car then where does the alternator source it's power from, and where does it return the power to???
                            Please explain in detail for us less informed folk.

the battery and alternator work in unison...you can run the car without the battery.

The alternator produces about 14v (battery produces 12) and feeds power to the battery.
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx
                              the battery and alternator work in unison...you can run the car without the battery.

The alternator produces about 14v (battery produces 12) and feeds power to the battery.
                              Battery does not produce or generate anything its just a storage.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X