Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine Dies While Driving. Help diagnose this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Dies While Driving. Help diagnose this.

I was driving and as I was coming up to the left turn lane I needed to get in, I took my foot off the gas and about three seconds later my RPMs dropped completely to zero, at this point I was still rolling towards the stop line. Then three seconds later the oil light and battery light came on. I then put my foot on the brakes and stopped the car. I then tried to restart the car...and the engine turned, but would not start. I waited about ten minutes, then I tried again and the car started, but my idle RPMs were at about 400. I then drove it to my house, which was less than a block away. I can't figure out what happened, the car still starts fine, just my idle RPMs are at 300 or 400. I am confused by the fact that the car was still rolling and my RPMs were completely at zero. If anyone has any ideas what could possibly have happened, it would be greatly appreciated.

Check it:

- Main Relay
    Turn the car to pre-ignition , if you hear a click under the driver side under dash then your main relay is fine.

- Ignition Coil
    Will not start at all

- Fuel Pump
    Turn car to pre-ignition , if you hear a loud hum on the gas tank area , then your fuel pump is fine.

- Ignitor
    Car will die once the car has warmed up or atleast the distributor has heated up. It will restart again once cooled down.

- Grounds
    Will make car go poo-poo. Possibility it will start or not start at all.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by capo_status View Post
      I was driving and as I was coming up to the left turn lane I needed to get in, I took my foot off the gas and about three seconds later my RPMs dropped completely to zero, at this point I was still rolling towards the stop line. Then three seconds later the oil light and battery light came on. I then put my foot on the brakes and stopped the car. I then tried to restart the car...and the engine turned, but would not start. I waited about ten minutes, then I tried again and the car started, but my idle RPMs were at about 400. I then drove it to my house, which was less than a block away. I can't figure out what happened, the car still starts fine, just my idle RPMs are at 300 or 400. I am confused by the fact that the car was still rolling and my RPMs were completely at zero. If anyone has any ideas what could possibly have happened, it would be greatly appreciated.
      How were you able to tell that the rpms were at 300 or 400...were you just estimating, because there are no marks between 0 and 500. The car dying then restarting after cooling down and the tack cutting out all point toward the igniter. The low idle...well, honestly, I suspect you're reading the tack wrong...the engine probably can't even run that low.

Comment

try also checking your wires on the altenator they might be loose, check the tightness of the belt too and make sure all your wires to the plugs and dist. cap are still on good.

Comment

Originally posted by Grin0048 View Post
          How were you able to tell that the rpms were at 300 or 400...were you just estimating, because there are no marks between 0 and 500. The car dying then restarting after cooling down and the tack cutting out all point toward the igniter. The low idle...well, honestly, I suspect you're reading the tack wrong...the engine probably can't even run that low.
          The needle was hardly above zero, it was not as high as 500. But as far as I know that could be completely unrelated to everthing else.

Comment

After I let it idle for 10-15 seconds the RPM goes up to about 1000

Comment

So when the tack is that low, is the car shuddering like it's struggling to run?

Comment

So when the tack is that low, is the car shuddering like it's struggling to run?
                honestly, its not, other than the fact you can hardly hear the engine, it sounds like nothing is wrong at all.

Comment

Originally posted by capo_status View Post
                  honestly, its not, other than the fact you can hardly hear the engine, it sounds like nothing is wrong at all.
                  Well it would be pretty obvious if the engine was actually trying to run that low...the tack isn't reading properly which would indicate igniter (consistant with the car dying and restarting) or maybe a problem with one of the sensors in the distributor...are you getting any codes?

Comment

Same problem.. sort of

I had almost the same problem as the first post but my car did not start again. I was driving and got about 5 minutes from my house when of course the oil light and the battery light came on. I cut the car off for about 30 seconds, I restarted it and the lights were off then about 30 seconds to a minute later the rpms went down to zero and the car slowly died. I tried to restart it a few times and no luck. I to restart it again about 10 minutes later with no luck. I towed it home got it in the garage and let it cool for about an hour, so at this point the car had been cooling for almost two hours and again no start! When I turn the ignition on (not trying to crank it) the battery light and oil light stays on but the CEL light and Airbag light goes off... Any suggestions? And yes it sounds like its turning over just no cranking. Thanks for any help.

BTW its a 93 accord EX, F22, 5spd blah blah blah

Comment

Working...
                    X