Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake pad wear: Driver's side inner pad wearing faster than others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad wear: Driver's side inner pad wearing faster than others.

I'm having this issue on both my CB7 and my 09 Fit. The inner brake pad on my driver's side wears faster than the other 3 pads on both cars. Does anyone know the cause of this, and how to fix it? Or is it just a normal thing (the wear indicator IS on the inner pad...)

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I'm having this issue on both my CB7 and my 09 Fit. The inner brake pad on my driver's side wears faster than the other 3 pads on both cars. Does anyone know the cause of this, and how to fix it? Or is it just a normal thing (the wear indicator IS on the inner pad...)
    Well for one, the inner pad has the piston pushing on it, and how hard do you brake? Mine wear evenly, but I'm easy on my brakes....
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Yeah, but only the driver's side inner. The passenger side pads wear pretty evenly!

In the Accord, my braking was pretty normal. In the Fit... yeah, I drive that thing like a stolen racecar. Heel-toeing everywhere, brake-checking assholes, you name it. \

Both cars have about 250k on them.

Comment

When you say faster - How much faster?

Alot of people say the inner drivers wears faster than the rest because it is the closest to the master.
        But to me that doesn't make sense because hydraulic fluid doesn't compress, therefore they must all move at the same time.

Do you lightly ride the brake without knowing by any chance?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Yeah, but only the driver's side inner. The passenger side pads wear pretty evenly!

In the Accord, my braking was pretty normal. In the Fit... yeah, I drive that thing like a stolen racecar. Heel-toeing everywhere, brake-checking assholes, you name it. \

Both cars have about 250k on them.
          Would it be safe to assume the front driver would get more pressure because it's so close to the master cylinder?

You heel-toe your Fit? Bwahahaha!
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Interesting, my driver's front OUTER pad wears much quicker than the other 3 front ones....It is about 1/8" thinner than the other 3.
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I have seen this also when I was replacing my brothers CD accord.

I did notice the slide pins where rock hard. I was in a hurry and just put on new brake pads.

Looking back It (didnt occur to me at the time) but the uneven wear may likely have something to do with it. If more pressure is being applied in one side (with the aid of a moving slide pin) it would even out the pressure with the other side.

Im no expert, but I would say check the condition of your slide pins. Some say they were even slightly bent (over time) causing it to stick.

It may just be a case that it just needs some coaxing and a little grease to get it back to operational condition. At worse it may need a replacement since they are rock hard to bend and may not be able to restraighten perfectly.
              Rides:

Accord
              92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
              88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
              95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
              91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Are the spring shims present? Can you push the calipers piston back in by hand? Are the slides free and greased properly, along with all other contact points?

When was the last time your purged your fluid? If your going 40-80 mph and you brake hard without holding the steering wheel.. does the car stop in a straight line?

If the caliper is stiffer than the others it will retract less when you let up on the brakes. This could cause the wear, or missing spring clips aren't there to keep the pad from occasionally touching the rotor. Poorly working slides will cause the pressure to mostly applied to the piston side.

My remedy is work the piston in/ out about 20 times( pushing it out till the dust boot has no more folds and pushing it all the way back in) put some brake.fluid in the dust boot as well if you can to help lube things up as you work the piston. Push the piston all the way in and keep it snug in there with a c clamp, the bleed the lines. If you have purged fluid prior to working the piston in/out 20 times, you'll see how much garbage you stirred up and got out when you rebleed.

If the caliper was stiff to begin with you should notice considerable difference in the pressure it takes to depress the piston. Additionally a line may be clogged to some extent, this will change the flow characteristics. You can remedy this after everything else has been done. Put everything back on except the wheel, start the engine to get vacuum boost, pump the pedal up hard and have Someone open the bleed screw. A high volume of highly pressurized fluid will then purge your lines. Repeat if you hear crunching of any kind, it means there's rust particulate in the lines.

Dj,while it is closer to the master, and will reciece pressure first, the total pressure in the system will become the same. However the fronts usually engage before the rears as fluid starts to flow and swell the lines.
                Last edited by MortsAccord; 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

The slide pins are in perfect condition on the Fit, anyway. The design is enclosed... there's a rubber boot over the slide, and a regular bolt that holds the caliper in place. The bolt isn't a slide bolt like on the Accord.

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  When you say faster - How much faster?

Alot of people say the inner drivers wears faster than the rest because it is the closest to the master.
                  But to me that doesn't make sense because hydraulic fluid doesn't compress, therefore they must all move at the same time.

Do you lightly ride the brake without knowing by any chance?
                  My driver's side inner was down to the metal backing, all the way through the pad material. The 3 other pads still had friction material left... maybe 1/8"-1/16".

I usually don't ride the brake cautiously in traffic... I will drop a gear and let the engine slow the car usually... but I do drive in stop and go traffic from time to time (cities, rush hour on the highway) so I suppose there is light pressure applied.

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                    Are the spring shims present? Can you push the calipers piston back in by hand? Are the slides free and greased properly, along with all other contact points?When was the last time your purged your fluid? If your going 40-80 mph and you brake hard without holding the steering wheel.. does the car stop in a straight line?

If the caliper is stiffer than the others it will retract less when you let up on the brakes. This could cause the wear, or missing spring clips aren't there to keep the pad from occasionally touching the rotor. Poorly working slides will cause the pressure to mostly applied to the piston side.

My remedy is work the piston in/ out about 20 times( pushing it out till the dust boot has no more folds and pushing it all the way back in) put some brake.fluid in the dust boot as well if you can to help lube things up as you work the piston. Push the piston all the way in and keep it snug in there with a c clamp, the bleed the lines. If you have purged fluid prior to working the piston in/out 20 times, you'll see how much garbage you stirred up and got out when you rebleed.

If the caliper was stiff to begin with you should notice considerable difference in the pressure it takes to depress the piston. Additionally a line may be clogged to some extent, this will change the flow characteristics. You can remedy this after everything else has been done. Put everything back on except the wheel, start the engine to get vacation boost, pump the pedal up hard and have Someone open the bleed screw. A highly pressurized high volume of fluid will then purge your lines. Repeat if you hear crunching of any kind, it means there's rust particulate in the lines.
                    this what i feel is your problem
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I know they're not in the Accord, but they're sealed in the Fit... and this is only my 4th brake change!

Comment

Pad wear doesn't matter much as long as its not ridiculous. 1/8th isn't a problem. Id say more than 3/16ths-1/4th extra wear on a single pad is a bad issue, and you'd probably have noticed the cars braking is not in a straight line first.

I murder pads. I live on a hill and do allot of downhill high speed stopping. For the early moments of my morning commute. Gone through 4 sets in 2 years on my wifes Malibu. In under 30k miles. I eats brake pads.

Comment

My Fit's braking isn't in a straight line because at least one shock is blown... I really do beat the crap out of that poor little thing!

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                            Pad wear doesn't matter much as long as its not ridiculous. 1/8th isn't a problem.
                            Agreed.

1/8" is not an issue Mike which is why I asked.

That could genuinely be for multiple reasons, but its not to be concerned about.
                            I thought you got it serviced at the dealer - Or was that only up until the warranty ended?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I get repairs done by the dealer, but basic stuff I have done elsewhere (or do it myself)... oil, tires, brakes...

Comment

Working...
                              X