17x7.5 alloys + 205/40r17s

FUTURE PLANS

CB7...
    Last edited by DCB7; 04-19-2017, 06:30 PM. Reason: tie-rods

swapped over the suspension and wheels from the CB

Comment

already settled

Comment

CB7 sold; relatively cheap I think for all it came with. I miss the car already. That's a nicely shaped fender.

The newer one is kind of generic, but it's nice also. Sounds like the header is blown off.
        Exhaust leak seems to be coming from under the heat shield; haven't checked it out yet. And another leak back by the muffler. I might have to give up some of the stock look and get a header for it.

Need to install camber kit for the front, toe seems good though, no pull. I would like spacers, but I hardly have any threads to spare on the lugs. I might try slimmer lugs because the generic ones i'm using don't go down into the rim. Then I could get away with some 5mm

I was surprised it has stock tweeters up on the dash. Front door speakers are out though. I got a cassette adapter, and Line out convertor to add the subwoofer I took out of the CB. 6x9's are punching a little but look like the originals (says 15W on the magnet) The adapter only plays out of the right though, and sounds like crap, and fumbling with the phone and skipping youtube ads while driving leaves me with no music most of the time; and I can't bother playing dodge-a-drake on the radio, so I'll probably just end up getting a new head unit.

I want to go looks first on this one, apart from the header. And I need a VSS sensor also

Comment

cb when it was sold

cb7 front

cd5 front

It's sexier in person

culprit of all the noise (well most of it)

intake leak

INTERIOR: DA headrests

I also found this button that makes the seat go up and down

Comment

Header

Long primary runners

before

after

was a tight fit. and it hung too low with a 1 inch gap at the cat. I had to remove the cat from the hangers, slip the bolts through at a angle, and ratchet it up into place

This is how I got it. Then I put the old O2 sensor back in for now

Last thing was to put a 2.25 axle back pipe in, and had it checked for leaks. None, and it sounds sweet with about 50% increase in power. Gas mileage looks better already so far

Comment

vss

got a new vss. Was tricky to get to, old one was gunked up and the pin rubbed down. But the speedo works now for the first time since I got the car. The previous owner said 'maybe a thousand miles it was out'... Service records indicate timing belt and other components, including a/c were replaced at 220k, clutch feels good too. Wheel bearing is grinding away though, might just change brakes at the same time.
              edit: I've been using a GPS speedo app on my phone while the speedo was out. It shows the speedo is off by 4mph consistently. eg., It shows 50 when im doing 46

got a cheap 80Wx4 double din, took the line convertor out and run rca's; to the old faithful 10" bazooka with 200W SSl amp bolted to it. Turns out the alpine 6disc changer in the trunk was working after all, but the cartridges are well used and got stuck some time, plus I need more amps to the speakers; and to amplify

I took the bezel off; have some adjusting to do. Its bolted in there but I have to go back in to set up the dvd, and maybe add a backup camera. Rear visibility is not so good

got blown away by a Haracan and a LFA on Friday, but it's ok

my plastic intake tube is cracked all the way around, someone tried to patch it with silicone, and the screws around the filter are rusted in and rounded out, so who knows how long since it was changed

looking to make a heat shield for it. also need to flush radiator and put new thermostat; rusty water.
              Last edited by DCB7; 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Incorrect tire size can cause a difference on your speedometer, I tried 55 profile tires back in 09 and there was a difference such as the one you are having. On the other hand a higher profile tire will have your speedometer showing you to be slower than the actual traveling speeds.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I think it came with 195/55/15s on it; listed at 23.44 in height. (Which Im not sure is the correct size.) The 205/40/17s I have are listed at 23.46.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

Just by the eyeball test tho, it does look shorter than the ones that came off. But that may be a illusion because of the low profile sidewalls

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                    I think it came with 195/55/15s on it; listed at 23.44 in height. (Which Im not sure is the correct size.) The 205/40/17s I have are listed at 23.46.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

Just by the eyeball test tho, it does look shorter than the ones that came off. But that may be a illusion because of the low profile sidewalls
                    I am positive factory size on the EX is 195/60r15 and v6 models use 195/65r15.
                    Your present tire circumference is 23.5 while the original circumference is 24.2 which is a -2.9% difference. This usually gives folks a false feeling of faster acceleration due to the incorrect speedometer and increased differential gearing caused by the smaller diameter tires, in exchange you are at higher RPM while driving reducing fuel efficiency.

Comment

Thank you for that info.
                      So it seems the vss is working as it should (it was a cheap ebay brand)
                      And if I get 215/40 next time I might get a couple more MPGs

S-bend in stock downpipe

With the new header, I'm going to see if I can modify the downpipe with a slight up angle at the collector to get back my inch of clearance. It's needed

I want to get a little piece welded on to protect that lip from getting caught like the ones on the stock dp

Comment

215/40r17 would still put you at -1.7, your choices are 205/45r17 which put you at +.4 or 215/45r17 which would put you at +1.7 and is a cheaper size as well.
                        Last edited by Crankshaft; 02-20-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

215/45 is one of the most popular sizes around, and tires will be dirt cheap. good for any wheels 7" to 8" wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                            215/40r17 would still put you at -1.7, your choices are 205/45r17 which put you at +.4 or 215/45r17 which would put you at +1.7 and is a cheaper size as well.
                            ok, thing is, that would address the speedometer showing the actual speed, but there are other factors I'm considering as well. Trust me I went through this with the CB7
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207105
                            Also, I like how the 215/40's fit the rim (that's what came with them originally) Walmart has federals for like 75 each, and right now I'm getting about 25mpg, and that's with me in test mode; compared to about 18mpg while the header was broken. I could live with it

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                            215/45 is one of the most popular sizes around, and tires will be dirt cheap. good for any wheels 7" to 8" wide.
                            still I wouldn't mind filling up that fender well some more, and with those wide hips, I would actually prefer bigger tires over spacers

My first choice as an alternative to the 215/40 though is the 235/40, at 24.4 in height. Tire pressure alone could cause these slight variations in height and MPGs, also tire style and brand. Then you have to factor in added drag and all that

Here is 235/40 on 17 x 7

big federals 235/40 on 17x7.5

Last edited by DCB7; 02-20-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

May be due to bias but I used to get federal tires dirt cheap because of my former employer but I was never impressed by them considering there were better choices in the same bracket. Another thing that kept me away from federal was the way they handled their claims, from 2011 to about 2014 they had tires with separation issues and blowouts; instead of recalling the line they "suggested" People limit the use of their tires to a specific size vehicle. Now that I remember they did recall and did away completely with an AT line of tires for tread separation, we used to have 3 racks minimum filled with federal claims for those 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X