Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Treadstone turbo kit horsepower estimate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
    for a budget build id open up the piston ring gaps, hone the bore back round, and let it ride... 300 whp tuned well should last a good while. that turbo kit should make it. you will need a stronger clutch.

I made 375whp on a 35mm wastegate, running up to 20 psi with a 4 lb spring. on 2.5" shitty exhaust too.
    wow. So what component did you find was on the limit here? The exhaust or the WG spring?

Comment

I'm not actually building anything. Just looking for a ballpark estimate so I can feel more comfortable advising people to use the Treadstone kit. I've been telling people they should be able to expect 300-350whp from that kit, and that an unmodified F22A block with forged pistons should be able to handle up to 400whp without significant risk of failure (failure directly related to the block's ability to hold that much power, that is.)

Comment

This is the turbo that comes in the kit. You can pay extra to upgrade.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...im+Stage+3+.63
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Since my knowledge on turbo conversions are quite limited I'm curious about something... how do you deal with the dreaded torque steer?

Obviously new cars have sophisticated electronics to deal with this but how do you mitigate it on a vintage car like a CB7?
          My Collection:
          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

That is thoroughly beyond the scope of this thread. Please do not take it off topic.
            (to answer your question, LSD and a traction bar help a great deal with torque steer. Otherwise, it's all in the driver's ability to maintain control of the car, and modulate the throttle as necessary.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              That is thoroughly beyond the scope of this thread. Please do not take it off topic.
              (to answer your question, LSD and a traction bar help a great deal with torque steer. Otherwise, it's all in the driver's ability to maintain control of the car, and modulate the throttle as necessary.)
              Sorry...
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
                for a budget build id open up the piston ring gaps, hone the bore back round, and let it ride... 300 whp tuned well should last a good while. that turbo kit should make it. you will need a stronger clutch.

I made 375whp on a 35mm wastegate, running up to 20 psi with a 4 lb spring. on 2.5" shitty exhaust too.
                This is the second or third time I have seen a statement like this regarding the piston ring gaps being the main issue in the stock bottom end for turbo application.Makes me very curious.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I'm curious as well, but again, it is beyond the scope of my question.
                  domesticated provided the trim and ar. I'll just do the math. From the sounds of it, that will support 350 as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    wow. So what component did you find was on the limit here? The exhaust or the WG spring?
                    It was choking on the topend. The exhaust backpressure helped the small wastegate work, but choked out the power up top. My new 3" exhaust needs a 44mm gate to control boost properly.
                    spin city

Comment

Working...
                    X